Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding?

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #11  
The salesman should want a sale without any hassle, more cash deal is better than hassling (service time checking it out, fixing anything that needs to be repaired, etc selling it), with a trade. Your change just causes the sale person to delete the trade and change the paperwork.

I have changed the terms of sales on a number of vehicles (cars, tractors, etc) post signing, and no salesperson complained. they want sales. Even on my current deal, I changed the terms after I signed up and my dealer said "No problem" - as long as I was still buying the tractor at the price I agreed to. Now if they opt to rewrite the deal, then that may delay delivery.

I would also agree about contacting the Manager of the dealership, and if need be a Lawyer. If you can make $4k more and are willing to put at least some of that into the deal, they have less to finance and more cash upfront - seems like a win win for everyone.

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #12  
Hard to tell you what to do as I'm personally torn myself...

On one hand, I cant believe that they want the used one that bad.....most dealers would gladly not take your trade in... In that repect, I question the quality of the dealer...IMO if they leave a salty taste in your mouth now, chances are good things are not around the corner...

On the other hand...you did sign the paperwork saying the deal was XYZ... if THEY changed the terms, you'd be wild I'm sure...this is a 2 way street, whats good for one is good for the other...

Did you tell the dealer that your tractor was for sale privately and you'd only trade it in if it wasnt sold when your new one was ready for delivery?

In my mind it boils down to what you told the dealer about your trade in being for sale privately...kinda like the eBay auctions that say "this item is for sale locally, we reserve the right to end this auction early if it sells locally"
Often times dealers have a "standing watch list" of people looking for used machines...chances are the salesman called around to people he knew that were looking for a 4120-ish machine saying "I got a super clean machine with xx hours on it coming in on trade as soon as the new one gets here" and for all intents & purposes I bet your 4120 is already sold which is why they want/need it so bad....

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #13  
Hello SP_Dave, how are you?

I agree with the "probably got a buyer lined up" scenario. That is probably driving this dealer. However, I would still push it a bit on this as he has a chance at $4 k more.

Seems strange the dealer won't got for more cash upfront, as with these times, a sale in hand is much better than two delayed sales.

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #14  
Was the tractor you are looking at in stock? Did you have them add anything ..ie rear remotes, loaded tires, attachments?
If not I would walk away and let the dealer make the next move.

Yes I am a dealer and that did come from my mouth but I am not here just to take someones money I am here building relationships!

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #15  
Yes I am a dealer and that did come from my mouth but I am not here just to take someones money I am here building relationships!

Bingo... Regardless of anything else, thats the piece that bothers me the most... Like I've been known to say....what makes a tractor (any color) is the dealer... If I lived next door to Wallace, there is a very good chance that my tractor would be Orange..not green...but the Orange dealer here p'ed me off so bad I woulda paid 5k more for a green one happily...I was lucky in that my green dealer wanted to sell me a machine and gave me a smokin deal.

A good deal makes you happy for a few days/weeks....a great dealer is forever...

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #16  
Was the tractor you are looking at in stock? Did you have them add anything ..ie rear remotes, loaded tires, attachments?
If not I would walk away and let the dealer make the next move.

Good for you Rick. I actually was hoping that some of the dealers on the forum would chime in.

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #17  
Hello SP_Dave, how are you?

I agree with the "probably got a buyer lined up" scenario. That is probably driving this dealer. However, I would still push it a bit on this as he has a chance at $4 k more.

Seems strange the dealer won't got for more cash upfront, as with these times, a sale in hand is much better than two delayed sales.

I'm good...busy but good...

Well....Maddog might have the chance for 4k more in his pocket....and I bet the dealer has the paperwork lined up to put that same 4k or MORE in THEIR pocket...therin lies the problem..

Chances are he has 2 sales "in hand" with the trade (might already have a down payment on it).....and by not getting the trade he looses that guaranteed sale of the traded machine...

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #18  
I don't think the dealer wants your trade at all. He is only taking the trade in to accommodate you and sell a new tractor.

Call him up and find out.

Worst that can happen is he really wants the trade, but my guess is that he gave you less than wholesale for your old tractor, and if he really has someone else who wants it could get another one just like it in a few days.

Most likely is that he will pleased that you have sold it yourself.

Remember, he gets assistance from the factory to keep new tractors in his inventory, with a used one he gets no assistance from anyone...

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #19  
I am a little surprise he wouldnt take you up on your offer to split the $4000. more your could get for selling your trade outright. As stated, he must have another buyer on the line for your trade.....and at a better number (?).

I think if he wont split the difference or give you a bigger discount that I may be looking for someone else to "build a relationship" with too.....as he sounds a bit greedy for my taste.

I like to honor my word.....but, I think your offer to split the difference is very fair in light of the circumstances....if you have put all the facts on the table with the dealer. I may be inclined to either get a better discount from this guy.....or take a hike on this deal too.

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #20  
Remember, he gets assistance from the factory to keep new tractors in his inventory, with a used one he gets no assistance from anyone...

Not always