Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding?

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #21  
You need to stick to your word.....

It is sad the dealer won't work with you, but you still should stick to your word.

Legally binding depends what state you are in, but morally binding is if the dealer has your tractor on the way and you have made an agreement you need to stick to it.

My other half is in the car biz and this has been a problem in the past. They have always as a rule allowed the buyer to sell the car, but may change the price in order to do so. Example someone wanting a new body style at invoice they sell it to them, but give less for the trade to make some money.

Cheers,

TD

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #22  
Myself, I'd run from that dealer. Did you give him your tractor yet? Did he take the serial # from it? What if you tractor was in a fire and toast before you delivered it? What if you rolled it before he took deleivery? Would he still hold you to the PO?

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #23  
Im torn on this one as well

Obviously the dealer didnt give you fair market value for your machine and he knows it. Likely he has it sold.

I try to live by keeping my word, but in this case i think the dealer was a little dishonest in their appraisal of your tractor (shocking, i know;)) and as such, i can see someone breaking their word in this case because of it.

Id talk to the owner of the dealership and lay it out on the line. If that fails, perhaps a call to a lawyer might be in order to clairify your rights, in your state. Depending on what that lawyer says, id go from there.

Time is no doubt of the essence, the purchaser of your machine likely wants to know what your going to do, or they might move on.

I think Wallace has the right idea on this subject. I cant see a dealer being that hard to get along with, unless there was other circumstances (ie:already promised the tractor to someone else, at a tidy profit no doubt.) This certainly doesnt give warm and fuzzy feelings for future dealings with this particular dealer.

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding?
Well i talked to the lawyer and he said that the po should have had some sort of terms and conditions papers with it, which i had none given to me making this po null and void. But heres my problem with the deal. I could buy this tractor outright for $51000. But since i hadnt had any hits i on my tractor I decided to see what the dealer had to offer. He offered $31500 difference and $19500 for my tractor totaling $51000. Well ill be darned if that night after i signed the po my phone rings and u know the rest. So what i dont get is the dealer has a 4320 there identical to my 4120 thats been there for over a year. So WHY does he want mine? To me he is not out anything letting me keep mine cause hes still getting $51g for his. I know he dosent have it sold theres no way. The dealer does have the tractor but i have to wait three weeks for the loader to come in. Im a district manager for a oil and gas company so i deal with customer service everyday. Im not trying to get out of the tractor, im just trying to buy it outright without a trade with no success. its almost like he thinks i want out completely and thats not the case. I guess ill go in tomorrow and see what we can hash out.

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #25  
It sounds like you may be better off to walk in the dealer with earnest money if you still plan to proceed. You also need to make sure your buyer for the older tractor is a sure thing.

Steve

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #26  
Is this the owner talking or the salesman talking? Or are they the same? If they are the same, I would walk away, the relationship is not going to be a good one down the line. You will have hard feelings and he will always be the same type of customer servant. Of course you need to find out how binding a signed PO is. It is after all a signed document.

Good luck, I hope everything works out in your favor.

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #27  
It wouldn't hurt to make a phone call to the next
closest dealer and see where they'd end up with
a cash deal/no trade. If you can find the same deal
there, and since no money has changed hands, walk
away from the original dealer. Like others have said,
it's starting off on the wrong foot already.

good luck
dutch

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #28  
Obviously the dealer didnt give you fair market value for your machine and he knows it. Likely he has it sold.
(ie:already promised the tractor to someone else, at a tidy profit no doubt.)

Since when does a dealer give "Fair Market Value" for a trade? Basically any business takes trades at Wholesale and sells the new product at Retail - everybody knows that - not fresh news.

Would you not expect the dealer to sell the trade for a profit? He's not running a social welfare agency. Making a profit is how business stays in business.

The OP made a deal he was happy with - until the phone rang - and now wants to change the terms to suit himself. What if the dealer wanted to change in mid stream? He made a deal - live with it and honor his word.

When I bought my JD they had to special order. There was not a scrap of paperwork resembling a contract - no one asked for even a penny as deposit. When the unit arrived two months later, market conditions had changed dramatically, but the dealer never tried to sleaze out of the original deal.

That's the problem with a lot of the world today, everybody is always looking for an out - no wonder there are more lawyers in the country than engineers.

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #29  
Since when does a dealer give "Fair Market Value" for a trade? Basically any business takes trades at Wholesale and sells the new product at Retail - everybody knows that - not fresh news.

Would you not expect the dealer to sell the trade for a profit? He's not running a social welfare agency. Making a profit is how business stays in business.

The OP made a deal he was happy with - until the phone rang - and now wants to change the terms to suit himself. What if the dealer wanted to change in mid stream? He made a deal - live with it and honor his word.

When I bought my JD they had to special order. There was not a scrap of paperwork resembling a contract - no one asked for even a penny as deposit. When the unit arrived two months later, market conditions had changed dramatically, but the dealer never tried to sleaze out of the original deal.

That's the problem with a lot of the world today, everybody is always looking for an out - no wonder there are more lawyers in the country than engineers.

(Applauding):)

/ Is a John Deere purchase order legally binding? #30  
I believe you have 72 hours to back out legally.

Sorry, but I hear this all the time. You do realize that there is absolutely no truth to that. The only time that applies is if the sale doesn't take place at the dealership or place of business. This old law was to stop the door to door high pressure salespeople from ripping people off on the spot before they could check on anything. If the tractor dealer came to you, at your house, to show you tractors and you did the deal at your house, only then would you have a 3 day right or rescission.

Ok, now back to your regular debate... :D