Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power?

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #51  
Thank you everyone for all the good feedback! It helped in my decision.

I decided against a subcompact and bought a TYM 48hp, a T494 cab which will replace my Kioti NX5010. I'm going to continue to use a riding lawn mower for the portion of my property that a compact tractor is too big and heavy.
Congrats - looking forward to an update or two on how it's going, if you don't mind!

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #52  
This is similar to what I went through for a couple years before I decided on a Deere 4044M instead of the 3 series. I wanted a bigger loader bucket, a wider mower, and enough power. I just kept thinking the 3 series was going to be too small and frustrating. I have never regretted going with the larger tractor. I can move the big round hay bales, disk my garden, maintain my road, and move compost. I also looked at the 5 series and decided it was overkill for 90% of what I needed. I was replacing an old always broken down 1970 model Ford 2000. Almost every time I went to use it I had to work on it. Then it would be ok for a few weeks until something else went out. The only thing I knew is a wanted bigger implements and 4 wheel drive. Sand and sometimes wet clay don't do well when you have one wheel spinning and have to disconnect your disk to move it and get it unstuck.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #53  
Is a subcompact under 25hp engine enough power to maintain a under 15 acre property where the tasks are mowing w/ mid mower, finish mower, brush hogging, stump grinding, hole digging, box blade and typical loader work?

I have owned a 35hp and 50hp so I'm a little uneasy getting an under 24hp.
I have just under 3 acres and a Kubota B2150 which is 24hp. In my opinion it is just enough for my needs but if I had 10 acres or more I’d be looking to trade up for a larger tractor at least 35hp and if I was at 25 acres it would be 50hp or more.

• Good Post
Reactions: RB5
   / Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power?
   / Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #55  
He can buy a rear mounted finish lawnmower for maybe $2500.... and all those other rear implements as budget allows, and only have one compact machine to maintain. And can just as easily teach his wife or family to use a tractor. My 12 yr old granddaughter is driving mine and looks forward to cutting the 3 and a half acres of lawn this summer. (With many objects to drive tight to. )
I got so TIRED of replacing the "garden tractors" that cost $2-$3k. They'd last 2 or three years and have to be replaced. After the 4th one died on me, I said some appropriate cuss words and vowed to NEVER get that genre of tool again. Had my Kubota BX2660 since 2009 now and it has already paid for itself, compared to the "garden tractors" from MTD, Sears, and even one yellow one. :) Further, the BX2660 has been used for actual farm work and road work, and snow clearing one season and still going strong. Needs new front tires (on order) and fuel filters replaced, <censored> <censored> "safety" switches repaired, and that's it. Oh, it's also dug a lot of holes with a PhD, too. Even with buying those implements, which the "garden tractor" absolutely could not pull, I'm still ahead compared to how I used to fork out the money ever couple years.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #56  
I have a New Holland Boomer 1530 Compact Tractor. I would never waste the money on a stump grinder, because under 25 HP it will take you all day to grind a real stump. You should be looking at over 40 HP for that. A 5-foot flail mower would max out a 25 HP tractor. Better you use a 48-inch. Also, there's no way you'll be able to use a rotary cutter to cut anything bigger than 1-inch. Guaranteed anything bigger in diameter will stall your tractor. I've had my New Holland for 25 years and it's been fine for using a 60-inch rotary cutter to cut hay and briars, but that's about it. I had a 5-foot scraper blade and it was great for grading and crowning out driveway, but that broke after about 20 years and I upgraded to a 6 foot adjustable blade. I had all sorts of issues with the blade weight and width grading our 1/2 mile long driveway, because it was a narrow drive and it was useless to put a crown on the road. I ended up repairing my old blade and it's been fine. If you have a narrow driveway you need to grade, forget getting a box-blade. They are not designed to put a crown down. The same thing with a landscape plane. With under 25 HP forget doing more than a single-bottom plow for tilling the soil. You might be better with a 48-inch tiller. With 25 HP or less, forget getting a toothed rake for the bucket. If you hit a shallow stump, big rock or real roots you'll stall your tractor. The other issue is if you have a Front Eng Loader on a small tractor, you won't have much lifting force. My tractor only lifts around 1000 lbs. I don't have an auger, but if I did I wouldn't recommend more than a 12-inch auger bit in rocky soil. The only advantage with a small tractor is fuel economy. I think under 25 HP you can dodge the DEF issue. Be sure you have a folding ROPS if you have a standard 8-foot garage door opening height. Good luck bailing hay. You could get away with small square bales, but bigger round bales will be too heavy for the front end loader.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #57  
I have a Kubota BX2350 for 3.14 acres. It's smaller than 10 acres, but it's relevant.
Would I use it for mowing? No, I use my Ariens ZTR for mowing. It is faster, it will always be faster. A mid-mower tractor can be used, but it will take a LOT longer because of the boat-like turning radius. It's also a lot heavier.
Would I use it for wood chipping? yes, all the time. Great for this with a nice Goosen chipper
Would I use it for bush hogging. If I had any bush to hog, yes, but it would be a smaller one, probably 48" or less.
Would I use it for minor tilling? Yes. I have a 36" tiller.
Would I use it for post-hole drilling? Yes, I have a post hole auger and put in a 1/2 acre of fence over the course of a couple/few days (no hurry)
Would I use it for carrying mulch around.? Yes, because it's light, it doesn't dig up the lawn. (I use turf tires vs agg or mixed-use). It has limited capacity compared to larger tractors. I used it for stone driveway regrading a bit, though there are some tasks I would not use it for.
Does it fit in a standard garage bay? yes.
Would I use it for stump grinding? - unclear. I've not seen or used a stump grinder implement for effective 18HP PTO.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #58  
I have a Kioti CK22, that weighs 1 ton, unlike the newer Subcompact tractor that weigh half this. The little girl does most things, and at only 4’ wide can go almost anywhere. The extra weight helps
More Hp at times would be great, but don’t forget the large tractors of old didn’t have much Hp. It what they did with the Hp that counts. John Deere B series 2 cylinder tractors only had 30Hp

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #59  
I got so TIRED of replacing the "garden tractors" that cost $2-$3k. They'd last 2 or three years and have to be replaced. After the 4th one died on me, I said some appropriate cuss words and vowed to NEVER get that genre of tool again. Had my Kubota BX2660 since 2009 now and it has already paid for itself, compared to the "garden tractors" from MTD, Sears, and even one yellow one. :) Further, the BX2660 has been used for actual farm work and road work, and snow clearing one season and still going strong. Needs new front tires (on order) and fuel filters replaced, <censored> <censored> "safety" switches repaired, and that's it. Oh, it's also dug a lot of holes with a PhD, too. Even with buying those implements, which the "garden tractor" absolutely could not pull, I'm still ahead compared to how I used to fork out the money ever couple years.
That is why I bought a commercial zero turn with a 60" Deck. They last.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #60  
I currently have ~8 acres with ~5 that I mow but I'm going to be buying more property starting with ~4 acres and this is all wooded land that I will start working.

I did decide and purchased a 48hp TYM tractor to replace my NX.
Congrats on your purchase. I suspect that will be more than adequate.