Is it me or is this sight still slow?

/ Is it me or is this sight still slow? #31  
Ibrahim, thanks. I do now understand the problem.

My confusion was probably more that you can effectively run something as large as multiple websites on the same amount of ram as in a laptop. Maybe we all do have an unneeded excess of ram in consumer machines--increasing ram capacity merely being another marketing ploy to sell new hardware. (I like conspiracy theories.) The other confusion was the one voiced by Dahammer: why would it cost a lot per month to get access to something you could buy for a few bucks.

Given all my excess capacity on my laptop and gigaram desktop, perhaps you would like to lease time from me instead of those guys in Texas. I'll charge you 50% less. I, too, will give fanatical service....... How about suicide tractors rolled down the hill onto CTB's servers.

Out with Governor Davis. In with the Terminator.

/ Is it me or is this sight still slow? #32  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue">I am always suspicious of new companies </font>

What does Comcast and a NEW company have in common? Nothing. Comcast has been around for a LONG time.

BTW, I have Comcast and it works flawlessly. )</font>

Well, I meant new to me. I tend to fear change... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Is it me or is this sight still slow? #33  
Did anyone notice that bewteen 10:00AM and 6:00PM today that the site was faster?? I stayed off TBN to get some actual work done while at work /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Is it me or is this sight still slow? #34  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the swap is 1,000,000 slower than the Ram. Literally! (not the figurative "million times faster")
)</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If an item travels at 100 mph, how can a second item be 1 million times slower?

Is that not similar to saying if I go from a 100,000/yr job, to a 20,000/yr job that I just took a 5 "times" pay cut, when in fact, if you take a "1 times" pay cut, you are then at zero?.... so you really took an 80% pay cut rather than a 500% cut.

So, though the faster unit can be say 500% FASTER than the slower unit, the slower unit can be no more than 100% SLOWER than the faster unit, else it would be stopped (or traveling in reverse, back to the land of 286's and 486-DX machines) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ok... I'm really now confused and will shut up /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

(only meant as food for confusion, not being ugly)

/ Is it me or is this sight still slow? #35  
Yeah, exactly ! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Is it me or is this sight still slow? #36  
Glenn...

Actually, personal computers do a lot more than web servers in terms of having multiple programs open (much more resource-intensive than the programs run on web servers). Web servers aren't loaded up with 200 different applications. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

If you were using the exact same programs as you were 10 years ago but on 1gb of ram, and then went back to your old computer running the same programs, you would see a huge difference.

As the standards are raised, so are the capabilities. So much of what everyday programs do these days, wouldn't be possible on machines from even 5 years ago.

Compare websites now to those 5 years ago. 9/10 of the features of this forum weren't possible back then, because the technology wasn't there to do it in a manner which 99% of the people could use.

/ Is it me or is this sight still slow? #37  
milisecond = 1/1,000 of a second
nanosecond = 1/1,000,000,000

1,000,000,000 divided by 1,000 = 1,000,000

And if you are going 100mph, something that is 1,000,000 times SLOWER than 100mph is travelling at 0.0001 miles per hour. (It will take it 10,000 hours to go 1 mile.)

Now you know.

-Ibrahim

/ Is it me or is this sight still slow? #39  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( milisecond = 1/1,000 of a second
nanosecond = 1/1,000,000,000

1,000,000,000 divided by 1,000 = 1,000,000

And if you are going 100mph, something that is 1,000,000 times SLOWER than 100mph is travelling at 0.0001 miles per hour. (It will take it 10,000 hours to go 1 mile.)
Now you know.
-Ibrahim
)</font>

hehehehe yes but...maybe we are quibbling over semantics? (because we all know what you MEAN, you IMHO, just said it backward) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Let me change perspective again

If a car is traveling 100 miles per hour, it is impossible for another car to be moving “twice as slow” as the object car. Why? Once the speed of the car hits ZERO, it has lost 100% of it’s speed and can slow no more. So it’s impossible for it to travel “twice” (which is 200%) as slow. It can travel twice as FAST, but not twice as slow... “twice the speed of the object car is 200% x 100, or 2.0 X 100, or 200mph. If it is traveling at 50 mph, it's traveling 50% the speed of the object car not 200%

Now... if the second car is traveling at 1 mph, it is traveling 1/100th the speed OF the first car, but not 100 times slower.

Different example... You put $1,000 into the stock market and lose 50%, so you now have $500. Your position NOW has to increase 100% (not 50%) in order for you to get back to even. If it were to increase 50% you’d only have $750.

(chuckling here)

I'm really not trying to be ****, though my wife would tell you different....but I see this example made many times, indeed, done it myself.

Again, we all know the logic of what you were saying so I’m not arguing your main point about the substantial speed difference, only that it might not have been worded right.

Clear as mud, or am I not catching something?

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Is it me or is this sight still slow? #40  
"Half as fast" doesn't make as strong a point as "twice as slow." And "1 million times slower" roles off the tongue much easier than "1 millionth the speed."

I think we both need to just listen to your wife.