Is sub compact big enough?

/ Is sub compact big enough? #1  

PreacherM

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 2610h
As if there aren't enough of these threads! Sort of an old question I know. I've been eyeing a newer tractor for a long time. Was hoping the market prices would correct themselves, but it don't look like that will happen soon.

I own 18 acres (no hills). 2-3 around the buildings, 10 acres field (rented out), 6 acres woods. I've got access to large tractors if needed for any ag type work. I cut 4-6 cords of firewood every year, but mostly not in my own woods. I've owned a JD 2010 with loader for 2+ years. It's had its typical problems, but I knew that going in. I only put 15-20 hrs on it a year, mostly cutting firewood and doing random loader work. The 3pt hitch is nearly useless so that has kept me from doing any brush cutting, etc.

If money and space were no object I would buy a 40 hp tractor and a SCUT as well. In reality, I've got 4 children to feed and clothe so $ is an issue! I'm mechanically inclined with 2 diesel mechanics in the family so I'm not afraid of used machines.

I really like the Kubota L30 series (31-43 hp) they seem like a good fit and value, but I'm not ready to pay that much just yet. I keep coming back to the SCUT class for 2 reasons: price and "handiness". I have to ask myself, what could a small tractor not do that I really HAVE to do? FEL lift height and capacity are really the biggest disadvantages of the SCUT. But then, it would take a 60+ hp tractor to really lift everything I would like.

A local Massey ferguson dealer has a used GC1705 coming in next week. I told him to call me when it does. With a tractor this size, I would probably use it 60-100 hrs per year. It bugs me that a larger compact tractor would sit in the barn unused much of the year. Purchasing a small tractor would also allow me to sell my Simplicity Sovereign garden tractor. (Have ZTR for lawn). Having 1 machine instead of 2 would be great. The Simplicity is mostly used for snowblowing (2010 is way too clumsy), lawn rolling, pulling sm trailer loads of mulch, and navigating the narrow trails in the woods.

Feel free to comment on any of the above. Several questions in addition:
How much will a GC1705 (or similar) track up a soft lawn or trail?

Will it run a 5ft brush cutter? Dealer says it will. By brush cutter I really just mean tall grass.

Is it dumb to purchase a tractor as a 2-5 year 'trial'?

/ Is sub compact big enough? #3  
I don't think you'd be happy running a 5' brush cutter on an 18.7 pto HP machine.
I get your dilemma with scut vs cut. My decision was somewhat easier in that I need machine weight for snow plowing.
Buying 3 tractors over the years I have never once gotten a smaller one.

/ Is sub compact big enough? #4  
I have to ask why is the 2010’s 3pt useless? If it was working properly, would the 2010 handle the brush mowing you need to do?

/ Is sub compact big enough? #5  
As if there aren't enough of these threads! Sort of an old question I know. I've been eyeing a newer tractor for a long time. Was hoping the market prices would correct themselves, but it don't look like that will happen soon.

I own 18 acres (no hills). 2-3 around the buildings, 10 acres field (rented out), 6 acres woods. I've got access to large tractors if needed for any ag type work. I cut 4-6 cords of firewood every year, but mostly not in my own woods. I've owned a JD 2010 with loader for 2+ years. It's had its typical problems, but I knew that going in. I only put 15-20 hrs on it a year, mostly cutting firewood and doing random loader work. The 3pt hitch is nearly useless so that has kept me from doing any brush cutting, etc.

If money and space were no object I would buy a 40 hp tractor and a SCUT as well. In reality, I've got 4 children to feed and clothe so $ is an issue! I'm mechanically inclined with 2 diesel mechanics in the family so I'm not afraid of used machines.

I really like the Kubota L30 series (31-43 hp) they seem like a good fit and value, but I'm not ready to pay that much just yet. I keep coming back to the SCUT class for 2 reasons: price and "handiness". I have to ask myself, what could a small tractor not do that I really HAVE to do? FEL lift height and capacity are really the biggest disadvantages of the SCUT. But then, it would take a 60+ hp tractor to really lift everything I would like.

A local Massey ferguson dealer has a used GC1705 coming in next week. I told him to call me when it does. With a tractor this size, I would probably use it 60-100 hrs per year. It bugs me that a larger compact tractor would sit in the barn unused much of the year. Purchasing a small tractor would also allow me to sell my Simplicity Sovereign garden tractor. (Have ZTR for lawn). Having 1 machine instead of 2 would be great. The Simplicity is mostly used for snowblowing (2010 is way too clumsy), lawn rolling, pulling sm trailer loads of mulch, and navigating the narrow trails in the woods.

Feel free to comment on any of the above. Several questions in addition:
How much will a GC1705 (or similar) track up a soft lawn or trail?

Will it run a 5ft brush cutter? Dealer says it will. By brush cutter I really just mean tall grass.

Is it dumb to purchase a tractor as a 2-5 year 'trial'?
10 acres rented out, 6 acres woods. How are you going to use a tractor 100 hours per year on the 2 acres that are left? Sounds like you need a zero turn mower or maybe a SCUT with a belly mower at most.

/ Is sub compact big enough? #6  
   / Is sub compact big enough? #7  

John Deere 2010 Dimensions​

John Deere 2010 tractor photo
1960 - 1965
New Generation Series
Row-Crop tractor

John Deere 2010 Weight
Gas Operating:5054 lbs
2292 kg
Diesel Operating:5120 lbs
2322 kg
Ballasted:6392 lbs
2899 kg

/ Is sub compact big enough? #8  

Massey Ferguson GC1705 Dimensions​

Massey Ferguson GC1705 tractor photo
2013 - 2018
GC1700 Series
Sub-Compact Utility tractor
Iseki built

Dimensions
Wheelbase57.1 inches
145 cm
Length:97.6 inches
247 cm
Width:47.25 inches
120 cm
Height (ROPS):72.8 inches
184 cm
Shiping weight:1433 lbs
650 kg
Ground clearance:6.7 inches
17 cm

Two distinct Loaders were optional for the GC1705.

VIDEOS:

Last edited:
   / Is sub compact big enough?
10 acres rented out, 6 acres woods. How are you going to use a tractor 100 hours per year on the 2 acres that are left? Sounds like you need a zero turn mower or maybe a SCUT with a belly mower at most.
Already have zero turn. 100 hours may be exaggerated. The point being that I would use a SCUT for twice as many tasks as a larger tractor.

/ Is sub compact big enough? #10  
I have 6 acres, 4 woods and so far the Massey does everything I need it to.
I have the Backhoe version.
4' flail.
Toothbar on the FEL.
I will be regrading the driveway soon.
Moved tons of gravel and tree parts.
Works fine for me to get through the trails in the woods.

I think you should really looks at the uses and then figure out what you want.
Smaller tractor will take longer to get things done.
What will you be lifting?
5' bush hog will work on grass, might bog more in saplings on a scut.
Many people I know with same tractor use the 4' and are very happy.
Same with tillers and other implements.

If you want a grapple, need a third function.
Does this 1705 have a quick attach bucket, quite useful if you want forks,

Good luck on the decision.