Is the 2501 hiding more power than advertised to avoid tier 4 emissions?

/ Is the 2501 hiding more power than advertised to avoid tier 4 emissions? #1  

zimm23

Tractor
none
My dealer said they're tested the PTO on their 2501 on the lot and were getting 30 horse out of it. That's half again as much power as advertised. He said their Kubota rep said the L2501 is a tuned down version of the old 3800, operating at lower RPMs. Does anyone have any more information on this? Or own a L2501 and have an opinion on how it operates?

/ Is the 2501 hiding more power than advertised to avoid tier 4 emissions? #2  
I can tell you that the L2501 has a larger three cylinder than my L3200 and makes its rated power at a much lower RPM -- 2200rpm versus 2800rpm. That should tell you something.

It is not the L3800 engine though -- it is smaller than the L3800 engine. It is identical in size to the 1.6L engine that came with the older L3400. I am betting it's the old L3400 engine (or similar) that is simply limited to run at lower RPM.

Not sure I trust the dealer's dyno numbers -- that is too high to be realistic unless they were able to get the engine to higher RPMs somehow.

/ Is the 2501 hiding more power than advertised to avoid tier 4 emissions? #3  
I have questions about the dealer's ability to dyno a small tractor. Is it typical for a dealer to have a SCUT sized dyno? If using a dyno, could they have used a large farm tractor size, most very accurate especially at the low end. In addition they would be measuring PTO horsepower which comes after all the parasitic awhile the regs are based on bare engine HP. Then again the regs are established for a precise test and as everyone knows, VW spent more money working on a method to beat the test than on meeting the regulations. On the other hand this small tractor has no sophisticated computer like VW that can detect it's being tested.

The USA used to have a $30,000 fine for every machine imported that did not meet emissions requirements. Our company went so far as to have our own inspectors at the ports inspecting prior to shipment to insure the emissions label was in place. Detection at ports of entry like Baltimore, for example, was to check for the emissions certification. Testing - none. Assumption was that if a company certified its engines met the requirement and had the official label, they were okay. So Kubota's engines arriving from Japan need to have been certified but actual measurement is lax. The Japanese are very strict regarding imports but as we can see, Takata & Pearl Harbor for example, less concerned about outside Japan. In other words I am suspicious about 30 PTO HP but I wouldn't bet the farm.

/ Is the 2501 hiding more power than advertised to avoid tier 4 emissions? #4  
Yea your correct, the Dyno's we have for Ag tractors will not be accurate on a compact.

/ Is the 2501 hiding more power than advertised to avoid tier 4 emissions? #5  
L2501 has 1.6L and 100.47ci - looking at some of the other tractor specs., L3200 and L3400, I could believe that it's higher than they list but not that high. Interested in what others find out.

/ Is the 2501 hiding more power than advertised to avoid tier 4 emissions? #6  
Don't really know what he has for a dyno, I know our 400 PTO horsepower dyno doesn't read them right that low. Most testing equipment is most accurate in the middle of the gauge so I'd doubt even with an old 100 horsepower dyno it would be very accurate.
They have turned up the torque on many of the Kubota tractors which is a good thing. Where is Timmy Tool time when you need him!

/ Is the 2501 hiding more power than advertised to avoid tier 4 emissions? #7  
Well, if it is I'd dang sure keep my mouth shut about it. Why spoil a good thing?

/ Is the 2501 hiding more power than advertised to avoid tier 4 emissions? #8  
Hi folks, new here but have almost a year on my l2501...and cant say enough good about it. My goal in buying this tractor was to avoid electronics, and was not concerned about hp. All my 3pt toys were behind a 28hp gear drive green tractor, and this one seems to run them all better. Not sure about actuall hp numbers, but this one seems way better then the 28hp green one I traded it for.

/ Is the 2501 hiding more power than advertised to avoid tier 4 emissions? #9  
I can tell you that the L2501 has a larger three cylinder than my L3200 and makes its rated power at a much lower RPM -- 2200rpm versus 2800rpm. That should tell you something.

It is not the L3800 engine though -- it is smaller than the L3800 engine. It is identical in size to the 1.6L engine that came with the older L3400. I am betting it's the old L3400 engine (or similar) that is simply limited to run at lower RPM.

Not sure I trust the dealer's dyno numbers -- that is too high to be realistic unless they were able to get the engine to higher RPMs somehow.

Agreed, s219. That's just BS.

Attempting to measure PTO HP at such low numbers with readily available PTO dynamometers is little more than a WAG.

SDT

/ Is the 2501 hiding more power than advertised to avoid tier 4 emissions? #10  
I have questions about the dealer's ability to dyno a small tractor. Is it typical for a dealer to have a SCUT sized dyno? If using a dyno, could they have used a large farm tractor size, most very accurate especially at the low end. In addition they would be measuring PTO horsepower which comes after all the parasitic awhile the regs are based on bare engine HP. Then again the regs are established for a precise test and as everyone knows, VW spent more money working on a method to beat the test than on meeting the regulations. On the other hand this small tractor has no sophisticated computer like VW that can detect it's being tested.

The USA used to have a $30,000 fine for every machine imported that did not meet emissions requirements. Our company went so far as to have our own inspectors at the ports inspecting prior to shipment to insure the emissions label was in place. Detection at ports of entry like Baltimore, for example, was to check for the emissions certification. Testing - none. Assumption was that if a company certified its engines met the requirement and had the official label, they were okay. So Kubota's engines arriving from Japan need to have been certified but actual measurement is lax. The Japanese are very strict regarding imports but as we can see, Takata & Pearl Harbor for example, less concerned about outside Japan. In other words I am suspicious about 30 PTO HP but I wouldn't bet the farm.

Agreed, MHarryE. BS.

Who has a PTO dynamometer capable of accurately measuring PTO HP at such low numbers?

SDT