Is there a reason for shoes on a snowblade or is this just a prefference?

/ Is there a reason for shoes on a snowblade or is this just a prefference? #1  

ampa

Gold Member
I been readin' about OP talkin' about shoes on snowploughs...my new blade came with shoes...I just need some opinions on these....my thoughts are that without them I can clean right down to the bare pavement bein' ....

our driveway in this townhouse complex is sloped downwards...don't ask me why they built them this way...as the run off from rainstorms runs down into the drain which is inside the garage :D....welcome all comments to this question....I put them in the bottom drawer of my old tool chest in case I needed them.....thanks in advance Ampa <> :)

Last edited:
   / Is there a reason for shoes on a snowblade or is this just a prefference? #2  
I've been plowing with a blade (front mount snowplow of Meyer or Western brand) since 1968, and never had shoes on them.
Most the time the drive was gravel, but has been asphalt the last 6 years.

/ Is there a reason for shoes on a snowblade or is this just a prefference? #3  
I would think that it's a wear question. The snow plow should be floated. If there are no shoes, the rubber cutting tip wear will occur at 30 to 70 percent point of the rubber depending on the weight of the plow. With shoes you can limit the drag to the zero to 20 percent and thereby get more life out of the tip. Replacement of mine is seventy dollars.

/ Is there a reason for shoes on a snowblade or is this just a prefference?
Sorry to say my cuttin' edge is made of steel...thanks guys...glad it's only a 48" blade..... $70.00 wow... for another $130.00 plus tax... I can replace the whole blade....I'm gonna' look into gettin' a rubber cuttin' edge..my original plan is to only plough my own driveway.....but... I'm a real easy goin' type person and we have since made alot of new friends since we moved here... and these people will bend over backwards to help me and my lady when we need it....what else can I say.....take care....Ampa

Last edited:
   / Is there a reason for shoes on a snowblade or is this just a prefference? #5  
I am not sure floating the blade is the primary reason for the shoes, if it is, an equally important job they do is prevent the blade from dropping into and catching on every crack in the pavement. If I recall the thread, AMPA is not using trip springs on his plow so shoes will be even more important. Princess Auto has some for more like the 30 dollar range but you could even make something, like using a couple trailer balls mounted upside down as your shoes. Get one with longer threads so you can add spacers to adjust the height?

/ Is there a reason for shoes on a snowblade or is this just a prefference? #6  
A polyurethane edge is a lot better than rubber. But the cost is astronomical.
Your steel edge will work better than rubber on ice. but rubber will be better than steel for slush.
Some guys have recommended a slice from a horse blanket.

/ Is there a reason for shoes on a snowblade or is this just a prefference? #7  
What about some 3/8 in ABS plastic for the cutting edge? I've got a steel one on now and have gouged up some pavement so was thinking of a softer alternative.

/ Is there a reason for shoes on a snowblade or is this just a prefference?
Hi David.....the 42" Craftsman had but one center spring only...the blade was kinda' cheezy...it was always tripping/folding down flat... so I installed two chains.. yes it did catch once or twice and twisted it a bit last winter...I've since sold it.....here's a photo of my new snowblade...take care...Ampa <> :)

Attachments

• DSCF5147.jpg
    DSCF5147.jpg
    989.5 KB · Views: 259
   / Is there a reason for shoes on a snowblade or is this just a prefference? #9  
I built these shoes for my back blade a few years ago.
My reasoning was to adjust the blade height to leave the gravel and plow the snow. The channel iron is slotted for initial adjustment about 1/2". The top like tweaks the clearance when adj. in or out.
The shoes also work really well when grading dirt or gravel. The shoes being on the "leveled side" of the blade, knock down humps and it makes a very nice finished surface.

Attachments

• Tractor 005.jpg
    Tractor 005.jpg
    785.7 KB · Views: 364
   / Is there a reason for shoes on a snowblade or is this just a prefference? #10  
I built these shoes for my back blade a few years ago.
My reasoning was to adjust the blade height to leave the gravel and plow the snow. The channel iron is slotted for initial adjustment about 1/2". The top like tweaks the clearance when adj. in or out.
The shoes also work really well when grading dirt or gravel. The shoes being on the "leveled side" of the blade, knock down humps and it makes a very nice finished surface.
:thumbsup: Exactly the reasons i have build shoes on mine,+ it keeps the blade last longer.