Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery?

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
I want to have a 14,500lb John Deere 410 backhoe, 120 miles, from MA to NH. Is there a rough estimate of what I could expect to pay for transport costs? Do they do it by an amount per mile?

i-5zGH5DT-X2.jpg

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #2  
I've heard of any weres from $1 to $5 a mile. Could be different depending on location

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #4  
About $5 per mile with a 100 mile minium around here.

Chris

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #5  
I want to have a 14,500lb John Deere 410 backhoe, 120 miles, from MA to NH. Is there a rough estimate of what I could expect to pay for transport costs? Do they do it by an amount per mile?

View attachment 333031

A few years ago I bought a 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF tractor that weighs about 4500 lb with the rear wheel weights. Had it hauled by a local guy with a roll back wrecker about 130 miles for $230. So maybe $500 for your much heavier load.

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #6  
Thats a bit much for a rollback. I hauled a case 580ck for a guy. about 12k lbs. He had it delivered to his shop to work on, on a rollback. The rollback wouldnt lift it. They had to use a SS to lift the bed.

I do a little hauling in my area. I charge $1 per unloaded mile, and $2 per loaded mile. So even if I lived right next to you, it would be $120 empty and $240 for the haul. $360 total is what I would charge.

IF you were in my area, given that I would likely have to drive a bit to get to your location, it would probably be ~$400 to move.

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #7  
Short hauls like that usually have minimums. I have had lots of things hauled 2-500 miles and usually pay $2.50-$3.50 per loaded mile. On short hauls they usually have a minimum maybe $500. It takes time to load and unload and often short trips not worth the hassle.

Another thing not in your favor is you are crossing state lines. Not everyone is set up to do that legally with the DOT. Some truckers that move heavy equipment are just local.

Thought of driving it? When I bought my Case tractor it was about 120 miles from me and too heavy to fit on my trailer so I just drove it home. Took about 6 hours but it has cab and AC so I was comfortable. It was mostly back roads though so this may not be an option.

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #8  
Some equipment rental places have 1 ton trucks and equipment trailers they'll rent out for the day. I think the cost around here is about $150 a day. Also, at least here, if you rent stuff late on Friday for Saturday use, you get to keep it all weekend.

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #9  
I have seen it priced both ways. They seam to like to charge by the hour when they think they could be stuck in traffic. Last prices I've seen are around $85 an hour from their yard back to their yard. If it takes you 2 1/2 hours to get there you can figure about 3 1/2 for a loaded truck. That would be about $600.

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery?
Thanks for the ideas. If I could haul it for around $500 I'd be happy with that. I've been contemplating just renting a mini ex for a week instead of having my backhoe hauled. However, if I did that, I'd have to dedicate that entire week to using it which is tough for me to do, whereas with the backhoe, I could keep it up there until mid december and just go up for a couple days at a time.

I never even began to think about driving it the entire way! At first, I thought you were crazy, but after thinking about it, I guess I could do that? Although, I don't have it registered and I'm not sure how to even go about doing that. I think the wear and tear on the tires may outweigh the savings though, not sure it would be worth it.

Anyone else have any opinions on driving it?