Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery?

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #11  
As long as you have hazard flashers and a slow moving vehicle sign, it is perfectly legal to do so. No special registration needed. I agree the wear and tear on the tires might be a bad thing. The guys I know that run their ATVs on the pavement replace tires much more often. I'd assume a mile on pavement is about like a 20 or so in a nice soft field.

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #12  
Well it would probably take at least 6 hours.
Is there a safe route?
How many gallons per hour would you burn?
If it takes 6 hours and 12 gallons that wouldn't be too bad.

In Europe they drive their farm machinery on the roads all the time.

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #13  
As long as you have hazard flashers and a slow moving vehicle sign, it is perfectly legal to do so. No special registration needed. I agree the wear and tear on the tires might be a bad thing. The guys I know that run their ATVs on the pavement replace tires much more often. I'd assume a mile on pavement is about like a 20 or so in a nice soft field.

I'm thinking you don't know as much about Mass vehicle law as you do about WV.

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #14  
Don't try it in Vermont without registering it. A SMV sign would work if you are around your farm but not what you're talking about. Plus you would need to register it for it's weight, that'll cost almost as much as having it towed.

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #15  
Don't try it in Vermont without registering it. A SMV sign would work if you are around your farm but not what you're talking about. Plus you would need to register it for it's weight, that'll cost almost as much as having it towed.
Are you sure?
The Vermont Statutes Online
Title 23: Motor Vehicles

Chapter 7: REGISTRATION

23 V.S.A. ァ 370. Farm trucks, tractors and trailers

ァ 370. Farm trucks, tractors and trailers

(a) Notwithstanding any other provisions of law relating to registration fees for motor vehicles or trailers, farm tractors and farm trailers may be operated on the highway without being subject to a registration fee.

The Vermont Statutes Online

and
(e) A farm tractor or a farm trailer shall be exempt from the permit requirements of sections 1400 and 1400a of this title. (Amended 1975, No. 213 (Adj. Sess.), ァ 2, eff. April 1, 1976; 2001, No. 139 (Adj. Sess.), ァ 6.)

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery?
I haven't heard back from MA yet, but here is what the NH DMV says about it:

Any vehicle being driving on NH roadways must be registered. I have put references below for some options for plates. You will need to discuss with your town clerk's office as to what you and your property qualify for.

We also offer a construction equipment plate for backhoes/loaders. These plates can be obtained at any DMV location once you have completed the town portion of the registration.

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #17  
around my parts its roughly $3 a loaded mile.

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #18  

If you are using the vehicle for your farm it's not required to be registered. Otherwise they, even ag tractors, are required to be registered. Even tractors doing roadside mowing need to be registered. A backhoe would be a category 1 special purpose vehicle. It's listed on the instruction page of the registration form. I had looked into driving my backhoe from where I had it stored up to my land.

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #19  
Short hauls like that usually have minimums. I have had lots of things hauled 2-500 miles and usually pay $2.50-$3.50 per loaded mile. On short hauls they usually have a minimum maybe $500. It takes time to load and unload and often short trips not worth the hassle.

Another thing not in your favor is you are crossing state lines. Not everyone is set up to do that legally with the DOT. Some truckers that move heavy equipment are just local.

Thought of driving it? When I bought my Case tractor it was about 120 miles from me and too heavy to fit on my trailer so I just drove it home. Took about 6 hours but it has cab and AC so I was comfortable and cheap long distance furniture removals. It was mostly back roads though so this may not be an option.
I was wondering what the cost to move equipment locally is? Like within a 10 to 15 mile distance. Our excavators and other equipment is between 28,000 and 60,000 lbs.. Thanks for all of the responses!

/ Is there an average transport cost to haul heavy machinery? #20  
I was wondering what the cost to move equipment locally is? Like within a 10 to 15 mile distance. Our excavators and other equipment is between 28,000 and 60,000 lbs.. Thanks for all of the responses!

A local guy with a 3 axel drop neck does it for $175 an hour from the time he leaves his shop to when he gets back. If it’s lighter equipment that a dump truck can move I can get it done a little cheaper. This guy charges $200 for a local trip. I paid the same guy $500 to take a loader about 80 miles. I expect like most things equipment transport cost is very area dependent.
IMG_5857.JPG