3-Point Hitch Is there an easy way to connect power takeoff to tractor?

/ Is there an easy way to connect power takeoff to tractor? #1  

jobguy

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT120
Any suggestion on an easy way of attaching the power-take-off shaft from and to the tractor would be appreciated.
My back is too bad this year to accomplish this task without asking someone else to do it.
If you have ever waited for your kids to find the time to stop by you'll understand why I want to
do this myself.
Thanks in advance.

/ Is there an easy way to connect power takeoff to tractor? #2  
What implement?

/ Is there an easy way to connect power takeoff to tractor? #3  
Any suggestion on an easy way of attaching the power-take-off shaft from and to the tractor would be appreciated.
My back is too bad this year to accomplish this task without asking someone else to do it.
If you have ever waited for your kids to find the time to stop by you'll understand why I want to
do this myself.
Thanks in advance.

What seems to be the major problem?.. I am pretty old, hate bending down (big gut), and have arthritic fingers, but I don't seem to have a lot of trouble. I have the kind of coupler with a push button on the side you hold in with your thumb (yeah it hurts) and slide it on the splines.

Now some tricks: If you support the weight of the shaft with a bungee cord it is less tireing. Makes sure the coupler and the splines are well lubed up. I use Fluid Film. Inspect and make sure there are no burrs in the "lands and grooves" of the splines on either the PTO shaft coming out of the tractor or the coupler on the PTO shaft itself, if there are any, remove with a file. . If you have the pull back collar or the twist collar kind of coupler make sure before you get down and struggle with it, that its function of retracting the retaining balls is fully lubed up and working. Work on it on your bench not bent over out on the ground.

Make sure you can either turn the PTO shaft out of the tractor or the implement so that you can line up the splines. Makes sure when it does slip on the shaft, you shove it all the way forward, let go of the retainer (ring, collar, or pin) and pull backwards on the coupler to make sure it is retained. Don't want it slipping off and beating the he77 out of everything in sight, and then flying off in the weeds or over your head.

I used to have a lot of trouble, but when I started taking my own advice, and made sure things were clean, deburred, well lubed and supported, it is totally a non event now.

/ Is there an easy way to connect power takeoff to tractor? #4  
Plenty of lube has fixed my problems!

/ Is there an easy way to connect power takeoff to tractor? #5  
How I do it, first on the PTO shaft coupler on the outside with white paint I mark a few of the groves. This way I know were the groves are that I will need to line-up with the PTO shaft on the tractor.

I connect the attachment to the tractor without the PTO connected. I disconnect the top link from the attachment. Where the attachment attaches to the top link, I have a rope that connects here goes under the PTO shaft and back up and insure the PTO shaft is level with the PTO on the tractor. I have a rope made for each attachment. At this point the PTO shaft is being held up by the rope and not me.

Also by having the top link disconnected it is not in the way.

If my groves markings do not line up with the tractor at least on my tractor with the tractor OFF I can rotate the tractor PTO shaft to line things up.

If this does not make sense let me and I will try again.

/ Is there an easy way to connect power takeoff to tractor? #6  
What seems to be the major problem?.. I am pretty old, hate bending down (big gut), and have arthritic fingers, but I don't seem to have a lot of trouble. I have the kind of coupler with a push button on the side you hold in with your thumb (yeah it hurts) and slide it on the splines.

Now some tricks: If you support the weight of the shaft with a bungee cord it is less tireing. Makes sure the coupler and the splines are well lubed up. I use Fluid Film. Inspect and make sure there are no burrs in the "lands and grooves" of the splines on either the PTO shaft coming out of the tractor or the coupler on the PTO shaft itself, if there are any, remove with a file. . If you have the pull back collar or the twist collar kind of coupler make sure before you get down and struggle with it, that its function of retracting the retaining balls is fully lubed up and working. Work on it on your bench not bent over out on the ground.

Make sure you can either turn the PTO shaft out of the tractor or the implement so that you can line up the splines. Makes sure when it does slip on the shaft, you shove it all the way forward, let go of the retainer (ring, collar, or pin) and pull backwards on the coupler to make sure it is retained. Don't want it slipping off and beating the he77 out of everything in sight, and then flying off in the weeds or over your head.

I used to have a lot of trouble, but when I started taking my own advice, and made sure things were clean, deburred, well lubed and supported, it is totally a non event now.

I see that you left out the one thing that bugs me, lubricating the PTO shaft and it protecting sheath so they slide in and out without much effort. On one bush hog that I had, I had to slit the outer plastic protecting sheath and spread it so I could get some grease in it and free it up so it would slide back and forth, the splined steel shaft was free, but the plastic was so tight that I couldn't move it.

/ Is there an easy way to connect power takeoff to tractor?
I have a tiller and brush hog. My problem is ruptured discs (surgery tomorrow) I'm not supposed to do any thing for 6 weeks. I never thought of supporting the shaft with bungee cords (I like that idea). I keep everything well lubed.
Has anyone owned the John Deere system where the driver hooks up and unhooks without leaving the seat? If so is it worth the money?

/ Is there an easy way to connect power takeoff to tractor? #8  
I see that you left out the one thing that bugs me, lubricating the PTO shaft and it protecting sheath so they slide in and out without much effort. On one bush hog that I had, I had to slit the outer plastic protecting sheath and spread it so I could get some grease in it and free it up so it would slide back and forth, the splined steel shaft was free, but the plastic was so tight that I couldn't move it.

Yep, about once a year, you do need to lube the inner/outer shaft joint. I store inside, so it is not as bad as outside storage which can get water in there and rust.

/ Is there an easy way to connect power takeoff to tractor? #9  
Sometimes the PTO splines can get mucked up to the point that it is hard to get the shaft inside the receiver. Clean it and re-lube.

/ Is there an easy way to connect power takeoff to tractor? #10  
I have a tiller and brush hog. My problem is ruptured discs (surgery tomorrow) I'm not supposed to do any thing for 6 weeks. I never thought of supporting the shaft with bungee cords (I like that idea). I keep everything well lubed.
Has anyone owned the John Deere system where the driver hooks up and unhooks without leaving the seat? If so is it worth the money?

Been down that road, don't do anything for 6 weeks, trust me. I like to have went crazy best garden i had in years & couldn't do anything, family came & helped with it.
Bouncing on a tractor is one of the hardest things on your spine, especially if your turned looking at the implement's.
Good advice given as to hookup, can't add anything there.

Ronnie