Box Scraper Is there really a difference in box blades?

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #11  
Lots of differences... Take a look at what Gannon's run, >1.2k#s... Many options to choose from:
Hydraulic vs manual rippers
High back vs low back
Hinged tail gate vs fixed
Replaceable side plates vs fixed

Then the best features of all IMO is hydraulic top and side links when used with box blades...

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #12  
Lots of differences... Take a look at what Gannon's run, >1.2k#s... Many options to choose from...

Then the best features of all IMO is hydraulic top and side links when used with box blades...

Absolutely +1. Works well for most 3PH attachments, even post hole diggers.

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #13  
IMG_1643.jpg
The key metric is weight per unit of width.

100 pounds per foot is OK. 125 pounds per foot is better. 150++ pounds per foot is nirvana.

Pictured Bush Hog (brand) 60" Rollover Box Blade weighs 630 pounds = 126 pounds per foot.

Soil: Florida sandy-loam.
For your sand, you could use just about any box blade without any issues. I doubt you ever have to use the scarifiers for that soil.
I bought a cheap (about $500) box blade with my first tractor (45HP) and now use it with my 70 HP tractor. I have broken some scarifiers when I hang them on huge rocks, but never had any issue with the box blade itself. Many times I have stalled the tractor in 4 WD and not damaged the box blade. Now if I use it, I try to keep my tractor in 2 WD and it is ok. Now I mostly use this attachment when I am trying to turn up rocks in my garden

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #14  
Now you have seen a bunch of different answers, all correct for each user in their circumstances. Your best option now would be to explain what your intended uses are and soil types.

/ Is there really a difference in box blades?
Now you have seen a bunch of different answers, all correct for each user in their circumstances. Your best option now would be to explain what your intended uses are and soil types.

Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing. I do have 40 acres of raw land where the trails/roads get muddy and I'm looking to create a more stable road for driving my truck and camper over. I want to create a road where I don't stand the chance of getting stuck.

The soil in the area is best described as sandy. It's NE Texas, where the spring rains will turn everything to mush and the rest of the year will be scorching hot and dry.

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #16  
Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing. I do have 40 acres of raw land where the trails/roads get muddy and I'm looking to create a more stable road for driving my truck and camper over. I want to create a road where I don't stand the chance of getting stuck.

The soil in the area is best described as sandy. It's NE Texas, where the spring rains will turn everything to mush and the rest of the year will be scorching hot and dry.

See if this helps, we were once all at one time more or less mystified about this too, I'm still no where near where I would like to be: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/214590-how-use-box-blade.html

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #17  

Others will probably respond and provide their input and maybe someone is familiar with your type of soil conditions.

The only way I could fix my mushy/muddy driving surfaces was to grade with a box blade and rake, let it dry out and then cover with larger diameter (2" - 3") gravel or crushed concrete which fixed the muddy surfaces seen in a previous picture I posted. I prefer the crushed concrete as it is less expensive. Most folks will recommend creating a road with a crown in the center and drainage (ditches) off the sides. At my place the best I could hope for was a fairly smooth driving surface a bit higher than the sides in most areas as any grading just brings up more large rocks that creates more grading problems to deal with.

In general, sandy soil would probably not require a box blade as heavy and robust as mine (72" and 710 pounds). However, it certainly would not hurt and the only downside is it would be more expensive. Personally I prefer to go heavier with any implement I purchase to make sure it is robust enough. However, there are cases when it can be easier to float a lighter weight blade over a surface than have a heavier weight blade that may dig in more than wanted. I know. Lots to consider...

It is best for a blade to completely cover your rear tire tracks so measure the tractor and purchase the BB width based upon this measurement. My width is ~ 68" and I purchased a 72" unit. I believe someone previously mentioned a KingKutter 500 pound BB (box blade) and this may be a decent choice for you but I would not go much lighter in weight than this.

A rollover box blade like mine can be easier to use as each position of the blade has only a single function and not multiple functions with one function potentially interfering with another, like in a "regular" BB. My ROBB has three separate positions. One for shanks only, one with a blade for dragging forward (or smoothing backwards) and one for a blade to dig going backwards or smooth going forwards. I use all three positions. In a regular BB the working surfaces are mainly controlled by the angle of the tractor's top link, making a hydraulic top link a near requirement, in my opinion. I highly prefer the simplicity of the ROBB. However, in general they are more expensive than similar non rollover box blades.

Hydraulic cylinder top link and side link options will be a godsend to a new user and is one of the most effective options available, in my opinion. I believe MtnViewRanch on TBN makes these units if interested. I purchased mine with the tractor from the dealer.

If you decide to get a landscape rake, it will need to be at least one size wider than the BB to account for the decreased width when angling the rake. My rake is 84" and barely wide enough when angled to cover the tire tracks.

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #18  
You've had some great answers. When it is scorching hot and dry there, is the ground hard to dig? We have red clay here, mixed with some good rich grey dirt. I know that I wish I had insisted on a 1,200 lb gannon box blade instead of the 750 lb woods medium duty blade I have. With 73 hp I could use the extra traction. With tires loaded and the grapple on the front, I'm at about 9,000 lbs. When I'm moving (or I should say when SWAMBO is moving) and hits a small stump or a heavy root, that's a lot of force to put on a boxblade. So far mine is holding up fine...but it's taking a beating. I have 15-20 acres of woodland that I am converting to orchard....I'm unlikely to change to a different box unless it starts to come apart, which it probably won't....but a bit more rear weight would be nice. Everything I buy from now on, will be heavy duty. the only exception is if I came across something at a giveaway price and wasn't planning to use it more than once or twice.

I'd rather have too much power and capability than too little. Not being able to work hard because I'm afraid my box blade is too dainty would irritate me.

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #19  
If you decide to get a landscape rake, it will need to be at least one size wider than the BB to account for the decreased width when angling the rake. My rake is 84" and barely wide enough when angled to cover the tire tracks.

Take the rake or blade width at 90 degrees, multiply that number by 0.7 and the answer will be within an inch or so of the width when turned to 45 degrees.

Bruce

/ Is there really a difference in box blades? #20  
Are the scarifiers the weak point? Can you just use them bent for awhile, and just buy new ones?