98.7 KB · Views: 286
  • moderndiscplow5discweightboxside795.JPG
    moderndiscplow5discweightboxside795.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 462
   / Is this a disc or a plow? #3  
all I know is it is green and odd looking

:ashamed::confused2:

/ Is this a disc or a plow? #6  
Ken, I have very limited knowledge of the disc tiller but from what I understand it is a rare attachment. If you can see through the clutter, here is a picture of one that belonged to my FIL that hasn't been used for 20-30 years. I have never seen one being used so as for it's intended use, your guess is as good as mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 518
   / Is this a disc or a plow? #7  
   / Is this a disc or a plow? #8  
Yes

It is a Disc Plow searching for nice sandy soil or ridge tillage that needs to worked to flat land after the corn or sugar beets are harvested.

they were or are built extremely heavy to sink in and tear what ever is in front of them.

The high angle of intersection aids in tearing a narrow slit of dirt or sod at one pass.

leonz

/ Is this a disc or a plow? #9  
It's called a disc plow, or disc tiller. Ford used to sell them. The 1951 Dearborn Plow brochure I have shows one which looks fairly similar to yours. They called it the Taylor Disc Tiller. They say it's used for terrace building, working in trash, stalks, and stubble, and for turning cover crops. The Taylor disc had four 26" discs spaced 10 inches apart, with a high beam to avoid wadding up of trash, and the furrow wheel at the rear to aid in steering. Also, the high carbon discs are on sealed, opposed, tapered roller bearings riding in an oil bath. 640 lbs. Like a lot of the old equipment of that era it is massively overbuilt - or at least built to last a very long time.

/ Is this a disc or a plow? #10  
Back when we called those "Tillers". The ones popular in our area had wheels and were pulled from the drawbar. They were considered one of the essential cultivation pieces of equipment. They ranged in size from about six foot to twelve foot for the normal approximately 50 horsepower tractor of the day.

They pulled easier than a plow so one could cover more ground. Tilling under Stubble was their main job.

Starting in the 70's with the great increase in tractor horse power they gave way to what we called "Disk's and Cultivators".:thumbsup:

jdDiskPlow.jpg

Last edited: