Buying Advice Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand?

/ Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand? #1  

TBDonnelly

Veteran Member
In the palm of Michigan's Lower Peninsula
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST, KL130 FEL, turf tires
Is this the right tractor for these tasks? There is a 96' x 200' barn on 13 acres. The barn has horse stalls lining either side of the 200 foot length. There are pastures on both sides of the barn. The center, open area of the barn is sand & used as a horse riding arena and needs grading on a regular basis. About 12 horses are housed with regular stall cleaning required. All in all, there are 50 to 70 animals from dogs, cats, pigs, goats, sheep, llama's and horses. The barn sits at the low end of the property so water issues on the sandy barn floor are at times an issue.

The property is utilized as an animal rescue, rehab and sanctuary by a wonderful all volunteer group. They are currently fundraising and have been offered this Ford 345c for $8,500. In your opinions does this tractor have the features necessary to be a efficient barn tractor for the tasks at hand? I believe their will be multiple operators learning to operate a tractor once their is one on site. The Ford 345C's were built between 1988 - 1992. Three cylinder diesel, two wheel drive tractors. I don't know any particulars about this Ford 345c. The barn has no other large power equipment. All tasks are handled by an old riding mower for arena dragging and wheel barrels for transporting manure outside the barn. The tractor needs to be a swiss army knife to handle as many tasks as possible, to include snow plowing & manure spreading. At this stage I'd like to focus the discussion on the Ford 345c capabilities in the barn environment. Size, weight, maneuverability, reliability, part support, features, transmission, etc. Thank you....

Attachments

• 5591498_1438998086.1556.jpg
    5591498_1438998086.1556.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
   / Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand? #2  
My first thought is that an older gear tractor is not the best option for a bunch of new operators. Also, they want the tractor to work, not to have to work on the tractor. It seems to me that one could get a used BX for the same amount of $$$. With HST it would be a lot easier to learn on, lot easier to move around a barn, and just as capable for the tasks at hand and with a lot less down time. That's just my thoughts, but I don't have any experience of the ford in question.

/ Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand? #3  
My first thought is that an older gear tractor is not the best option for a bunch of new operators. Also, they want the tractor to work, not to have to work on the tractor. It seems to me that one could get a used BX for the same amount of $$$. With HST it would be a lot easier to learn on, lot easier to move around a barn, and just as capable for the tasks at hand and with a lot less down time. That's just my thoughts, but I don't have any experience of the ford in question.

Those were my thoughts exactly, although I'd probably lean towards a B-series Kubota for those uses if I could find one cheap enough. The OP used the term "swiss army knife" and that's exactly what the small Kubotas are.

The 345c in question could be a great, problem free tractor. But, on the other hand, it could need work and replacement parts. It sounds like a great organization with many kind-hearted people doing good things for animals. I'd sure hate to see them buy a tractor that winds up being a money pit.

/ Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand?
It sounds like a great organization with many kind-hearted people doing good things for animals. I'd sure hate to see them buy a tractor that winds up being a money pit.

That is my concern also. I don't forsee monies available for repairs coming easily. This rescue takes in many of the toughest cases and care for the animals is the utmost priority, everything else is secondary. The tractor needs to be a reliable helper, not a problematic hindrance. What I know is the tractor is about 25 years old, an industrial/construction type of tractor. Could anyone comment on potential problems and ball park estimates for repairs. I always say tractor parts start at $100 an go up from there.

/ Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand? #5  
If you've got $8500 to spend, talk to a local tractor dealer about helping the organization find a good used HST tractor within your budget and offer some free advertising for that dealer. Maybe they'll step up and help you out.

A gear tractor (if that's what it is) is not a good choice for a community tractor with lots of operators that may not have experience with manual transmissions.

TractorData.com Ford 345C industrial tractor information

/ Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand? #6  
Yes, what MossRoad said. And look on tractorhouse.com too. I just saw a Kubota B7510 with 1,000 hours and FEL in Chesterfield, MI on there for $8,500.

If you've got $8500 to spend, talk to a local tractor dealer about helping the organization find a good used HST tractor within your budget and offer some free advertising for that dealer. Maybe they'll step up and help you out.

I actually made a good dealer contact at the local county fair this past week. He said the market conditions are such right now, there's not that much difference in the used/trade-in market vs. new with warranty. So, he did not have any used/trade-in tractors to recommend. However, he was receptive to the need and said to contact him late next week after he gets back into the dealership. Meanwhile the fundraiser to raise the $8500 is underway. The rescue has a large following and I think to be the 'Official Tractor Sponsor' would be a good thing.

/ Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand? #8  
Hope it works out for you. Animal rescue volunteers have big hearts. Good luck! :thumbsup:

A gear tractor (if that's what it is) is not a good choice for a community tractor with lots of operators that may not have experience with manual transmissions.

After a closer look, picture shows the shifter on the transmission, so I would say it IS a manual transmission.

Attachments

• 5591498_1438998086.1556.jpg
    5591498_1438998086.1556.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 97
   / Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand? #10  
I don't see where anyone has mentioned it but 4WD is nice for loader work (and power steering is a must) and safer for going up/down inclines. 2WD could get an inexperienced operator in trouble going up/down hills.