Backhoe Is your backhoe worth it over the long-haul?

/ Is your backhoe worth it over the long-haul? #11  
I'm of the camp saying to get the hoe.

I probalby hold the Crown for size backhoe to land size. I own a JCB full sized industrial backhoe/loader. My home sits on about 1 1/2 acres.

Now, for the REST of the story :D My home is in the middle of my wifes family 'farm' and as such, are surrounded by 250 acres.

Regardless of those facts, my machine has been used PRIMARILY around my home, building rock walls, moving dirt to grade some things, transplant day-lillies :rolleyes: , compact new layer of stone dropped down for my driveway...

My basic outlook is, I can use it ANYTIME instead of setting up a rental time to only then find out it's already booked for that weekend.

Today, I can GIVE it away and for all we've managed with it, still be "money ahead". Should I be able to sell it for half or heaven forbid, all of what I paid for it, then I'm simply that much MORE ahead!!

:cool:

/ Is your backhoe worth it over the long-haul? #12  
Richard said:
I own a JCB full sized industrial backhoe/loader. end.

Today, I can GIVE it away and for all we've managed with it, still be "money ahead".

YAY, I got first dibs.:) What time should I have the truck and trailer show up??? :D

/ Is your backhoe worth it over the long-haul? #13  
Not sure how much drainage tile you will want to put in but you can get some time wrapped up in doing just that one chore. If money is no object I would go with the hoe. You'll find a lot of uses for it and will be available when you need it. My choice was cab or hoe, I opted for the cab and am glad I did.

/ Is your backhoe worth it over the long-haul? #14  
tlbuser said:
YAY, I got first dibs.:) What time should I have the truck and trailer show up??? :D

Anytime you show up is simply fine with me... Just take your nearest highway, go west until you hit Hwy 528, turn north onto Hwy 9265 & go 423 miles.

When it turns into a dirt road, take the right fork. You will drive about 2 more hours until you THINK you are at the end of the earth (or at least the civilized earth, as we know it).

There will be a driveway where the old oak tree, USE to be... about a mile up from the old Jones farmhouse...(no longer there but you can't miss it)

Take this road to the end & I'll be the 15'th home on the left.

If no one is home...simply keep banging away. If no one still answers.. just load it up, no problems...

:rolleyes:

/ Is your backhoe worth it over the long-haul? #15  
:( daggone it.....you're trying to trick me. Everybody knows those are the directions to Egon's place. :)

/ Is your backhoe worth it over the long-haul? #16  
I would get the BH, you will find more uses for it that ever imagined. I have left mine on for a few months now and can usually find some trouble to "dig into".

Not sure how you are setting up your horse stable, but you may consider building custom stalls with 5'-6' or larger doors so you could use a smaller skid loader to clean out stalls. We clean our barns out in the spring and tried to design them so it was less physical labor and more skid loader time. The skid loader might make an excellent companion to a larger backhoe that you are looking into. I have used the backhoe and dumped dirt into bucket of the skid loader so it didn't make a mess with removing dirt from a site. Just a thought!!

This spending other people's money is fun!!

/ Is your backhoe worth it over the long-haul? #17  
Richard said:
Today, I can GIVE it away and for all we've managed with it, still be "money ahead". Should I be able to sell it for half or heaven forbid, all of what I paid for it, then I'm simply that much MORE ahead!!

:cool:

EXCELLENT point! And one that makes the industrial unit more attractive. A contractor will pay good money for an L39 from a home owner. They are always in demand. Just check out what "used up" units are going for. You just don't have the ability to wear out that TLB with the chores you have. So should you ever "get done" with everything except mowing, you can easily sell it for good bucks.

Richard, I'm guessing that if someone actually does hook up your JCB, they may hear banjo's and the words, "You in a heap o'trouble, boy!"

jb

/ Is your backhoe worth it over the long-haul? #18  
I've had my L39 for 4 months now and have used the backhoe for all sorts of things. Don't know if I will have "backhoe" jobs forever but should for awhile. One thing I find with this tractor as well as my B7800 with backhoe is that it can make loader/grapple work easier. There have been many times when a rock, brush, tree trunk, or whatever is in a position that I can't get at it with my loader or front grapple. A couple of minutes on the backhoe with pulling/pushing the object can reposition it for pickup and save a lot of time, and at times make things safer.

/ Is your backhoe worth it over the long-haul? #19  
I did not read all of the posts prior to mine, but I have been Back hoe shopping and we (yes she says if we can come up with the money after tax time, get one) both want a back hoe. Most of the time we are not able to go rent a tractor or back hoe for a day or four in a row. but we sure do have a lot of time in 4 hour or less blocks.

Also if you have certain specific projects that you need done with the back hoe, great get them done. If after a year past project time you seldom use or don't use the back hoe often sell it. You will likely get 50-75% of what you paid. Figure in the conviene factor versus the rental costs and a back hoe may not be a bad or costly purchase.

steve

/ Is your backhoe worth it over the long-haul? #20  
Unless you can sub out your TLB, I wouldn't be looking at the purchase and use of a BH in cost justification terms. As far as normal non-construction usage goes, a BH will do more sitting than working. That said, when it comes to trenching, digging, rooting and grubbing it's the handiest implement you'll own. Put a thumb on it and it becomes an even better implement, such as an articulated cherry picker that'll lift and place large rocks and other heavy objects without you breaking a sweat and/or hurting your back :D
My little BH w/thumb has become VERY handy when cutting up wood. It's like having a helper.
Is your backhoe worth it over the long-haul?
Yes :D

Attachments

• IMG_0361 small.jpg
    IMG_0361 small.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 671