Iseki TX1500 - no drive to rear wheels

/ Iseki TX1500 - no drive to rear wheels
2013-05-11 10.04.57.jpg

Just showing the inside of the wheel and pinion case of the old transaxle - I did think that maybe this would be damaged as well, as it turns out it was fine.

2013-05-11 10.05.03.jpg

Showing the other side - here you can see how the differential is installed via a wire locked internal casing - not press fitted luckily. In all other respects other than the smashed differential, the original case is in immaculate condition, if I get the time I'll recondition it if I can get the gearing or have them made.

2013-05-11 10.05.08.jpg

This is the 'new' transaxle before it was prepped to go in, you can see its not in great nick, but then internall it looks good and that's what counts.

This is actually a TX1510 transaxle, you can see it has a different hub system than the 1500 - I considered swapping the axles over but actually this setup gives me an extra 4-5 inchs of wheelbase width, so I kept it this way. Doesn't sound likle much but makes a big difference on steep ground.

2013-05-11 23.06.06.jpg

New transaxle on and ready to start bolting everything back on! In the end I just lifted the case up and stuck it on the back of the gearbox. Weighs about 170 lbs, don't do it this way if you have a bad back! Quite a tight fit, there are a couple of internal (in the gearbox) bolts that I used to 'press' the transaxle onto the gearbox - probably the only reason they are there I suspect.

2013-05-12 09.56.53.jpg

Showing the PTO case and the implement assembly back on - just the brakes to go back on, quite a bit of time to adjust them to brake evenly and shorten the pedal distance too - suspect the brakes are pretty worn on this transaxle but will keep them in for as long as possible.

2013-05-13 17.19.27.jpg

First test drive and everything works exceptionally well so far (relief!).

Learnt quite a bit about the rear end of these tractors through the process if you have any questions.

Could really do with a 4WD version, but quite attached to this little beast. I had a look around at a few others, I've got to say that it made me appreciate just what excellent condition my TX1500 is in - it looks hardly used compared to what's out there. Looked at a few similar sized kubotas as well and it have me a bit more respect for the Iseki - they seem a lot tighter and sure footed and with much better ground clearance than the equivalent kubota. That said parts for the kubotas are much easier to find.

Time to get back to work I'm afraid for both me and the tractor. Thanks for all your assistance, I'll try my best to repay the favour.

/ Iseki TX1500 - no drive to rear wheels #56  
This is actually a TX1510 transaxle, you can see it has a different hub system than the 1500 - I considered swapping the axles over but actually this setup gives me an extra 4-5 inchs of wheelbase width, so I kept it this way. Doesn't sound likle much but makes a big difference on steep ground.
Glad to hear you have finally fixed a tractor :thumbsup:.
Yes, you have it more stable on the steep ground while increasing the width of the rear axle. Just in case if you'll use a tractor for planting jobs (ex. potatoes), the difference between front and rear wheelbase widths will make you some troubles.

Good point, luckily I don't use it for planting. Will probably put the original back on eventually though anyway.

/ Iseki TX1500 - no drive to rear wheels #58  
Nice job and glad the results turned out well. :thumbsup: These actually are kind of fun to work on compared to some other things. The more a person works on them it seems like the more attached one becomes. I'd be surprised if you'll ever have to open up the transaxle again.

Nice job and glad the results turned out well. :thumbsup: These actually are kind of fun to work on compared to some other things. The more a person works on them it seems like the more attached one becomes. I'd be surprised if you'll ever have to open up the transaxle again.

I agree on that, not bad to work on - very few press fit components, almost all the bolts are interchangeable. Some of the castings are a bit weak though, you have to be careful not to crack them when using a mallet or when pressing the casings back together.

Hope I never have to open the transaxle again - more the hassle of locating parts than the actual work involved.

/ Iseki TX1500 - no drive to rear wheels #60  
I remembered this thread when at one point this summer I discovered my G174 only had power to the front wheels. After considerable thought I reconciled myself to a dead Bolens, but then I noticed that my right rear wheel was about to fall off. A cross bolt from my truck's trailer hitch replaced the lost pin and re-established full 4WD.