Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks?

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #11  
Yep, and the old couplers worked great when properly adjusted. If they started popping off too easy a tweak of the adjuster and you were back in business. Today's junk, not so much. Tighten it enough so it don't pop off and you'll be cussing and yanking of it to get it off the zerk..... :(

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #13  
yeah, I bought a bx23 with ~300 hrs on it, all the Zerks were blocked, I used 1/2 tank of those little plumber propane tanks to soften up each fitting and joints the fitting is suppossed to be greasing.

I still have a few that are stubborn and require more heat to take grease. I also used a small sized finish nail and tap the little ball down into the Zerk a few times to get it moving again.
I've had grease fittings that would not take any grease when the pin was loaded against the fitting hole. Repositioning the equipment a bit had the same fitting accept grease readily.

I've also had equipment that was not used often where the grease fitting was removed after service. The hole pluged with a pipe plug until the next time. Then, the plug was removed and a clean Alemite nipple was fitted. Greasing was easily accomplished without head aches.

Zerk fitting? I did a quick inter web search. Not a photo of an authentic Zerk fitting. Alemite get's so little credit, though they dominate the market.

Common usage corrupts the identity ...Poor O.Zerk, the miss application of his name has likely killed him...

PS. Dirt and dust caps on the fittings between greasings will keep the fitting clean AND keep the grease from drying out. Dirt and debris pulls the oil out of grease faster than a cat can kick it's wiskers. The soap that is left behind can dry hard as ...well, a cake of soap!

put caps on the hard ones!

pss
I've had good luck heating the cranky fittings with a propane torch. Softens up the tired old stuff and allow the new grease in.

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #14  
Have any of you tried the new Lock n Lube coupler.. everyone that has bought one has raved about it.. I don't have one so I don't really know.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/304889-locknlube-cupler-grease-gun.html?highlight=cupler

I'm not usually one for gimmick tools being somewhat of a tool snob, but the locknlube is awesome. I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. It truly works as advertised and makes greasing equipment a breeze. I'm going to buy another for my back-up grease gun.

Brian

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #15  
That lock and lube thing works great. Personally I would not bother with trying to open up old fittings...just not worth the possible damage over something as simple as a grease fitting.

They make these little rubber nipples that cover the end of the fitting. You should be able to find them at summit, jegs, or any off road racing shop. They slip over the fitting and do a good job of staying on there.

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #16  
It's usually not the zerk that's plugged, it's a buildup of hardened grease in the assembly being greased.

If you wipe the dirt away before attaching the grease gun you have no need for a nipple.

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks?
Thanks to all who took the time to reply!

I've been busy with work and a potential land sale, but I plan to return to the Kubota (on my new land) soon, armed with some spare zerks in both metric and imperial sizes, a new Lincoln grease gun, a new Lock & Lube fitting, and a torch too, just for good measure.

I did know about adjusting the typical grease gun 2-piece fitting, but have learned much other new & worthwhile information from this tread. Hopefully, I'll put it to work and get my L-39 back into shipshape!

-otus

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #18  
Thanks to all who took the time to reply!

I've been busy with work and a potential land sale, but I plan to return to the Kubota (on my new land) soon, armed with some spare zerks in both metric and imperial sizes, a new Lincoln grease gun, a new Lock & Lube fitting, and a torch too, just for good measure.

I did know about adjusting the typical grease gun 2-piece fitting, but have learned much other new & worthwhile information from this tread. Hopefully, I'll put it to work and get my L-39 back into shipshape!

-otus

I have gotten into the habit that every time I use the tractor I just give every grease fitting a quick shot of grease. It only takes a few minutes and I know that I always have fresh clean grease on all of the joints. When I started doing this little ritual I noticed the zerks accepted grease easier.

Sent from my HTC One Max using TractorByNet

/ Issue with Kubota Grease Zerks? #19  
It's usually not the zerk that's plugged, it's a buildup of hardened grease in the assembly being greased.

If you wipe the dirt away before attaching the grease gun you have no need for a nipple.

Personally dirty nipples are no fun at all, but some may like them that way......

But yes you should always clean off what you are putting the grease into, grease will attract dirt, dust, and just about everything else. At the best case you are going to push that dirt and such into whatever you are going to be greasing. Getting that surface clean is something I do just out of habit.

Also replacement Zerk's are not that expensive, buy yourself a handful in the most common flavors for your machine, straight, 90, 45, whatever, and keep them on hand....replace them as they start to get a little too nasty looking.