It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #21  
There is a reason that Ford got rid of the 6.4 so soon. I have two friends one has the 6.4 and the other has a 2011 with the new diesel. The fuel mileage difference is incredible if you can believe them and I think I can. The 6.4 gets around 15-16mpg on the freeway. The 2011 is getting 21mpg. They both claim you can pull anything. It all comes down to cost but again, there is a reason they did away with the 6.4 after one year. It could be that the 6.0 really was trash and they just put the 6.4 out there until the new diesel was ready.

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #22  
Are your two trucks really the same as to axles and frames? You didn't mention cab style which would be an obvious difference. But what are the dimensions on the frame? Could it be that one is .050" thicker? How about the height and width of the beam? Not likely, but different alloy? Now take that axle. Because they are both the same ratio, doesn't mean they are the same. Could one be a Dana and the other be a Sterling? And about those leaf springs. Same thickness (3/8" vs 7/16") and length? The naked eye won't always identify the differences.

As to the no contest between F-250 and F-350 choice, I agree 100%!

I can't speak to the Fords, but the 2001 to 2007 silverado hd 2500 and 3500 trucks use the same frame, same front axle, same rear axle, same brakes, etc etc. The tires are different and the springs in the rear are different. Yes, it is one more leaf but there could be other differences in the springs. The duallies have different boxes and 2 more tires. The extra tires gives stability, real extra load capacity and lower fuel economy.

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #23  
When researching my last truck purchase (~1 year ago) I found the links to each manufacturers "upfitter" (or similar 'after market body') finishing instructions. Generally in the links directed towards commercial truck use. The GM and Dodge write ups were pretty thorough with all that information. Even a few hidden gems you can apply to a pickup, including otherwise extra plugs laying around the engine bay that have other potential uses.

It was hard to find differences in the 3/4-1 ton srw trucks. One caveat in this bench racing discussion: gearing and how large a drive train make a difference in the frame and suspension calibrations/specs. Sometimes the large gas and diesel engines have different frame/suspension specs over the smaller engines (especially in the 3/4 ton). That and compare wheel bases (and cab sizes). meaning wheelbase and cab loading adjustments to maintain adequate real load capacity.

Lt Cheg: my wife fought me on the extended vs crewcab until we had one. Then I suggested saving a foot of space by getting an extended cab in the new truck (we never even considered parking the truck in the garage in any case -- 8' bed). After 6 years she preferred having the space in the back seat. And the new truck has a fold down seat back for even more practical space. The kid left not long after we got the first crewcab. But I am not buying your truck, so I am sure it will work for you. The longer wheelbase (long bed or long cab or both) gives more towing stability (at the cost of parking lot maneuverability). I would confirm the towing package is adequate for what you plan to tow. Nothing more informative than looking at Ford's towing specification guide (the dealer should have it; fairly detailed). Don't overlook the front wind area for a 5th wheel (you did mention the possibility of a toy hauler). It pay$ to be aware of your limitations.

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles
Lt Cheg: my wife fought me on the extended vs crewcab until we had one. Then I suggested saving a foot of space by getting an extended cab in the new truck (we never even considered parking the truck in the garage in any case -- 8' bed). After 6 years she preferred having the space in the back seat. And the new truck has a fold down seat back for even more practical space. The kid left not long after we got the first crewcab. But I am not buying your truck, so I am sure it will work for you. The longer wheelbase (long bed or long cab or both) gives more towing stability (at the cost of parking lot maneuverability). I would confirm the towing package is adequate for what you plan to tow. Nothing more informative than looking at Ford's towing specification guide (the dealer should have it; fairly detailed). Don't overlook the front wind area for a 5th wheel (you did mention the possibility of a toy hauler). It pay$ to be aware of your limitations.

After a lot of soul searching and hemming and hawing and frankly a lot of understanding on the part of my wife, we decided that the extended cab would work for us. We looked at it this way, the truck is really only for my enjoyment and for use as a tool. Rarely do we carry passengers and if so it's usually only for a short trip. We've never had more than 1 passenger besides my wife on a trip longer than 20 miles in either of my last 2 crew cab trucks. Plus my wife was comfortable sitting in the rear, even behind me and is more than content to put her feet up on the seat and sit sideways and even volunteered to do so on long trips if we decide to bring another passenger. The last thing that tipped the scales in the favor of the extended cab over the crew cab besides what was already mentioned was my wife's willingness to go ahead and buy a brand new crew cab in 4 or 5 years if need be to make it easier to add and remove car seats if we end up having children in that time frame. With the amount of miles that I drive my truck, it will be valuable for a trade in or outright sale as it will be a very low mileage truck if we end up needing a crew cab in the future (and that wouldn't be for at least 4 years).

I also checked on the towing specs to make sure that I could tow my load and the truck should do it no problem. This truck has a 9,800 lb GVWR package so it's rated pretty high. Plus it's rated for the same 12,500 pound bumper pull limit as the F350 which is right about where the heaviest load that I would be towing would weigh in at. I don't see myself ever pulling a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer as I prefer to have full use of the bed and I just can't foresee ever going higher than 12,500 pounds on a toy hauler. As it is I like to go to more remote places for camping and a small trailer is what is really called for in order for me to get to the sites that I'd want to go to (I always camp at NYS campgrounds or wilderness areas not at places with utility hookups like a KOA or Jellystone type campground). This truck is also equipped with the snow plow prep package so the front axle weight ratings are at the max.

So, I guess you've all probably figured out that I made up my mind and you would all be correct. I picked up my 2010 F250 XLT Supercab 4x4 Powerstroke yesterday. It is black with the chrome package including the nerf bar steps. It didn't have the self dimming rear view mirror which was a feature that I always liked on my Chevy trucks so I will have that added in the future. It also came with a bedliner which has some sort of sticky type of texture to it to keep things from rolling around too much, which is a feature that I really like. It was dark when I picked it up yesterday and I forgot to bring my camera when I took it out during the daylight today so I will have to try to snap some pictures tomorrow. Thanks to all for your help and advice in my search for an upgraded truck. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on anything of interest with the truck.

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #25  
After a lot of soul searching and hemming and hawing and frankly a lot of understanding on the part of my wife, we decided that the extended cab would work for us. We looked at it this way, the truck is really only for my enjoyment and for use as a tool. Rarely do we carry passengers and if so it's usually only for a short trip. We've never had more than 1 passenger besides my wife on a trip longer than 20 miles in either of my last 2 crew cab trucks. Plus my wife was comfortable sitting in the rear, even behind me and is more than content to put her feet up on the seat and sit sideways and even volunteered to do so on long trips if we decide to bring another passenger. The last thing that tipped the scales in the favor of the extended cab over the crew cab besides what was already mentioned was my wife's willingness to go ahead and buy a brand new crew cab in 4 or 5 years if need be to make it easier to add and remove car seats if we end up having children in that time frame. With the amount of miles that I drive my truck, it will be valuable for a trade in or outright sale as it will be a very low mileage truck if we end up needing a crew cab in the future (and that wouldn't be for at least 4 years).

I also checked on the towing specs to make sure that I could tow my load and the truck should do it no problem. This truck has a 9,800 lb GVWR package so it's rated pretty high. Plus it's rated for the same 12,500 pound bumper pull limit as the F350 which is right about where the heaviest load that I would be towing would weigh in at. I don't see myself ever pulling a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer as I prefer to have full use of the bed and I just can't foresee ever going higher than 12,500 pounds on a toy hauler. As it is I like to go to more remote places for camping and a small trailer is what is really called for in order for me to get to the sites that I'd want to go to (I always camp at NYS campgrounds or wilderness areas not at places with utility hookups like a KOA or Jellystone type campground). This truck is also equipped with the snow plow prep package so the front axle weight ratings are at the max.

So, I guess you've all probably figured out that I made up my mind and you would all be correct. I picked up my 2010 F250 XLT Supercab 4x4 Powerstroke yesterday. It is black with the chrome package including the nerf bar steps. It didn't have the self dimming rear view mirror which was a feature that I always liked on my Chevy trucks so I will have that added in the future. It also came with a bedliner which has some sort of sticky type of texture to it to keep things from rolling around too much, which is a feature that I really like. It was dark when I picked it up yesterday and I forgot to bring my camera when I took it out during the daylight today so I will have to try to snap some pictures tomorrow. Thanks to all for your help and advice in my search for an upgraded truck. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on anything of interest with the truck.

Can not wait to see it. I think you made the right choice for you, so I know you will be happy.

Chris

As promised, here are some pictures of my new baby. I've been very impressed so far. It really has a lot more space than I thought it would. I can't wait to get the fog lights here so I can install them. Strange that the only other black vehicle that I have owned was a Ford (1987 Bronco). I am really digging the black with that big honking chrome grill.

Pic2.jpg

Pic4.jpg

Pic8.jpg

Pic10.jpg

Pic5.jpg

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #27  
Great looking truck. As you said they have quite a bit of room. The Dodges are the biggest with the Fords very close behind. It seems to me the GM trucks are only about 7/8th as big.

Chris

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #28  
Good looking truck, I want those mirrors! :thumbsup:

Good looking truck, I want those mirrors! :thumbsup:

Thanks, I love those mirrors too. They are a HUGE improvement over the small ones on my Chevy which I was constantly cursing at whenever I towed. They extend out really far too for towing which is nice.

I never really appreciated how big the super duty cabs were Chris. I was never uncomfortable in the Chevy but my Ford feels way bigger around the driving area than my Chevy did. When I wear a ball cap, the brim doesn't ever seem to hit the headliner on the Ford like it sometimes would on the Chevy. I do love the Dodge Mega cabs and would love to see Ford and GM design a crew cab+ size cab to compete with the Dodge. They are awesome.

/ It looks like I may have been test driving the wrong vehicles #30  
With the Ford's it is. The heaviest optional 3/4 ton spring overlap the lightest 1 ton springs. Everything else the same unless you get a dually.

It's usually not that simple. There can be many changes, and most aren't visible. Examples are: heavier front and rear axles including ring and pinion sizes, heavier springs and higher spring rates, tires maybe, brakes, variations in the same model transmission, axle ratio selections and frame section modulus. It's rarely a case of simply slipping in an extra leaf and a different badge.