It's amazing what we think we need!

/ It's amazing what we think we need!
Re: It\'s amazing what we think we need!

All of the follow-up posts are very good and make sense. Safety is always first and there is a lot to be said about todays safety features, and I am really not critical of all the other ponts made. In fact, they are all very important. Just don't lose sight of the fundamental capabilities of the tractor and get caught up in the advertising blitz to convince you that you can't do without the special features. Thanks to all who have and will reply. I think this thread can be very valuable to many of the folks we see everyday looking for help in picking a tractor. How many times have folks told lookers to consider x, y and z, but what it really boils down to is the buyers preferences and local dealer.

/ It's amazing what we think we need! #12  

You are correct in most cases, but for years i did wonders with an old ford 2n, the loader on it was very heavy and caused the rear end to be light, also no down pressure, steering was a bear, clutching and shifting was a pain AND as i got older, and the arms and legs don't work like they used to, 4 wd, power steering and hydo is the way i went. to me it is not advertiseing that got me to buy it but more less needs, now if they did not have them features i would still be with the 2n, of course if they did not make the 2n i would still be with a horse, get my drift? i guess the same thing could be said for any item, cars, PC'S, ETC.

/ It's amazing what we think we need! #13  

A lot of this has to do with the information and opinions available on the internet. Many of us have a desire to get the "best" thing for our needs. These days it is information overload and we soon find there is no "best" thing and worry about all the minor advantages and disadvantages of each brand/model.

In the old days you would go to one or two stores and just BUY something and USE it. You think shopping for tractors is bad? Try doing research on the internet to find the absolute "best" digital camera for your needs. I dare you! :)

Don't get me wrong. I like all this information and in many ways it helps - but it sure ain't easy. Someday when I get more property I will have a compact tractor. Dunno if I will end up with more hours on the tractor or on this forum though. :)

Jim

/ It's amazing what we think we need! #14  

Yes that is true, and you could still watch TV without a remote but it would not be worth it to me. My kids would be happy riding in any vehicle but if it did not have a DVD system it sure wouldn't be too cool to them. And I could drive any old truck to work but it wouldn't have a HEMI /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (just a personal Mopar plug). Yes we could all get by with considerably less than we now do but if the products exist that make our lives more enjoyable then I say go for it and take advantage of them.

/ It's amazing what we think we need! #15  

To me it's just more stuff to malfunction. I myself. like simple uncomplicated things. I'm not cheap by any means, and get the basic tool to get the job done. Same with my trucks. Simple 4x4 with locking hubs. Gear tractor w/ 4WD. To each their own...............Technology is nice but not perfected until proven through the years........

/ It's amazing what we think we need! #16  

Some of what we are talking about is value added. Do we think the “new” feature is worth the extra price? I bought a B7800 rather than a B3030 because I did not think the features were wroth the extra $2,000. There are other TBN’ers who would have done just exactly the opposite.

It may be a sales job, but I bet you my wife would tell you that seat time would not be as much fun if it were a metal pan seat and she had to use the brakes to keep the tires from spinning /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ It's amazing what we think we need! #17  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( - gas tank explosions on old gasoline run tractors
)</font>

Funny you mention that! Our neighbour used to talk about how they would get a new tractor it seemed every 5 years because the old gas ones would burn all the time. He mentioned to old gas ones with the low exhaust would backfire and light the hayfields on fire frequently too!

I like old tractors too, but when stuff needs to get done, not just puttered at, it is hard to beat a modern tractor. Some tasks basic or old tractors are superb at but some they plain out were never meant to do.

They were envisioned to improve on the horse. Modern tractors are designed to improve on the tractor.

/ It's amazing what we think we need! #18  

Great topic.

In vehicles and tractors - some things are important to each of us, others aren't.

I don't drink and drive - so I don't care if either has a cup-holder on it. I can't get over how many people will turn away from a $40,000 vehicle because it has 1 less cup-holders than the one beside it - Gees - they are a $4 add on.

But Safety is important to me. I paid extra for 4whl Anti-lock on my truck, even though I know the rears will lock long before the fronts ever will and 2 whl A-L was included. I wouldn't consider a vehicle without air-bags, even though I never plan on using one. And I wouldn't drive a tractor without a ROPs and a folding one in my opinion is worse than none.

So is utility / value important to me. In the truck, I had them "downgrade" the carpet to rubber mats - cause they clean up easy, and don't hold water. And I bought a used tractor 'cause I got more power / dollar that way.

I think there is a market for both. There are a lot of people for whom their tractor is something they have purchased to enjoy, to make their life easier, to improve their leisure time. It is their pride and joy, it gives them great satisfaction to do a job well, then wash it up and step back and appreciate their accomplishments. They can afford a cup-holder, suspension seat, and E-Hydro - and each add to their enjoyment.
On the other hand, there are folks for whom their tractor is a tool to make a living. Utility is the name of the game, cost is a definite factor, and power to the ground is the most important. Every penny invested needs to be worked off, and luxuries are not part of the equation.

Fortunately for us - tractor manufacturers recognize these market dynamics, and offer us models at either end of the spectrum, and in between. The 790/ 990 Deeres are an example of high power, great value, "basic" machines that will earn their keep. Kubota and others have their versions as well. And of course, each manufacturer has their luxury versions as well.

The most important thing in my opinion is that each user determines what they want to accomplish, what features are valuable to them, then selects the best machine for their needs. Add dealer support to the equation and this is no different from the standard advice given to all those members enquiring as to "which is best" for them. We're all different - and so are our needs.

/ It's amazing what we think we need! #19  

Slippy,

I must agree that the old machines are fun, dangerous, but fun. However, I think that's where the story ends.

Not to sound like a tough-guy or anything like that, but my L39 could chase down your machine, overturn it with ease (with the loader or the hoe), dig a great big pit, push it into the hole and bury it completely out of sight within 20 minutes or less. A human is not at the wheel in this story, they are remote controlled /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I would have to say that is a distinct advantage, and one a person pays for. With all the advances, comes the cost. They are expensive, but they are incredibly capable. I'm able to perform multiple tasks in all kinds of weather and traction conditions with ease and in comfort, with a high degree of safety. They are in no way comparable. If you only mow a hay field now and again, or putt around the property dragging a dead tree or two, then a question like this might be plausible.

I would certainly prefer an older machine as you describe over my bare hands and enjoy using it, but I would never seriously compare a modern CUT/TLB to a single wheel driven machine. I'd be stuck in the first five minutes on my property. I've got front hydraulics (finally) on my loader and soon to have rear hydraulics on the hoe....Both will be put to good use and I'll be able to do things that either would never get done, or would be sub-contracted out.

I hope I don't sound like a punk. Don't be offended, I know what you were trying to say and appreciate older equipment /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 693394-large.JPG
    693394-large.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 99
   / It's amazing what we think we need! #20  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
I don't drink and drive - so I don't care if either has a cup-holder on it. I can't get over how many people will turn away from a $40,000 vehicle because it has 1 less cup-holders than the one beside it - Gees - they are a $4 add on.
)</font>

It's not "drink"---It's Snakebite medicine.
I use it as an antidote for all the copperheads I may run into...