It's time; either get started or....

/ It's time; either get started or....
The two bigger ports are suction, the 3 ports are pressure out.
The big one will be high volume, the smaller ones are lower volume.
Might use one of the smaller ones for swing circuit, the other for the outriggers and the big one for the rest.

Definitely do not use the port on the valve marked as Tank for anything but a low pressure return to the tank.

Aaron Z
Thanks aczlan, I suspected the larger ports would be inputs but the side with three ports are all the same I thought but yes, the one on the end opposite the shaft could be larger. I'll look again for a port marked as Tank.

The only ports that I can find with ID are on the opposite end from the shaft. The half inch port is stamped TK and the three eighth inch port is stamped PR. For now, I'm holding off with the "heart transplant" till I have tested the results of re-plumbing the tank return from the four-spool valves. I have it plumbed into a tee which in turn is plumbed into the to-tank port coming off the three spool valve set. Here's hoping this makes a pump swap unnecessary. I hope to save the Sta Rite pump off the Toro for another project.

Last edited:
The only ports that I can find with ID are on the opposite end from the shaft. The half inch port is stamped T1 and the three eighth inch port is stamped PR. For now, I'm holding off with the "heart transplant" till I have tested the results of re-plumbing the tank return from the four-spool valves. I have it plumbed into a tee which in turn is plumbed into the to-tank port coming off the three spool valve set. Here's hoping this makes a pump swap unnecessary. I hope to save the Sta Rite pump off the Toro for another project.
Still not looking good for the pump I'm using off the bale loader/stacker. Even after plumbing it correctly, there seems to be inadequate pressure. So now I have to see if there is any logical way to fit the Toro pump into the space the present one is in. The biggest problem I'm seeing is what to do about the two extra outputs. Just plumbing them all together is a doubtful way to go is my guess. Dividing up the various functions between the three outputs is far too complicated for my remaining brain cells to figure out :confused:. I'll have to see how much room I allowed for modifications once I pull the pump out of there. Stay tuned!!

Last edited:
   / It's time; either get started or.... #184  
Do you have a high pressure gauge to see what it is doing?

P4070001.JPG

I put one on the loader valve to see what is up. Or down ;) .

Do you have a high pressure gauge to see what it is doing?

View attachment 699433

I put one on the loader valve to see what is up. Or down ;) .
I don't have one that is specifically for testing hydraulics but I'm thinking an old gauge off a cutting torch, either oxygen or acetylene side might serve. In the meantime, I have the pump off. I can turn it by hand but it feels like there is a "load" even though the ports are open and there is no fluid in it. Is that normal? The Sta Rite pump I have on the bench turns freely and I can feel there is both suction and pressure. The problem with that one is the three outputs and how to manage the two I can't use.

Last edited:
   / It's time; either get started or.... #186  
Four options for the extra pump sections:
1. Run them together to combine flows for all 3 sections (might need 3 check valves)
2. Tee them back into the line that returns to the tank (below fluid level)
3. Send them through a filter and back to the tank (again below fluid level to prevent aeration of the fluid)
4. Use them for an additional circuit with a separate valve

As for the gauge, a liquid filled 3000 or 5000PSI gauge is under $15 on Amazon, I would likely go that route.

Aaron Z

/ It's time; either get started or.... #187  
Here is how those pumps are setup inside:
Gear pump:

Gear rotor pump:

It is likely a gear pump from the shape of the housing.

Aaron Z

/ It's time; either get started or.... #188  
I would start with teeing a 3000psi or 5000psi gauge into the line from the pump to the valve to see what pressures you are getting from the pump.

Aaron Z

Thanks aczlan for that information. If I settle on that pump I'll have to plumb the extra outputs into an already busy return to tank circuit. Is that going to put more pressure in there or is there sufficient loss occurring in the scroll valves to make it a non-issue? I'm just not sure I want to add more hoses onto an already busy mess of them. And that's just to find out if this pump is any better than the one I took out. I'm leaning more and more towards a new pump and be done with it. That brings up the question of how much pump is right for the job. This is a small machine operating two inch diameter cylinders so a big pump should not be in there to begin with. I'm looking at a pump that has a .244 displacement and is rated at 4.26 GPM. I can run it at 600 to 3000 RPM so my 1200 or so speed is OK. Does that look about right for the job? It costs around 135$ taxes in. I hope that is the last big bite out of my back pocket but I won't count on it.

Last edited:
I have had time to do some calm meditating on what could be going on with the hydraulics and I have come up with two scenarios which I need to check out before I spend money on a new pump. The first scenario has to do with air entering the system ahead of the pump. Not impossible but because I don't see any leaks between tank and pump when the engine is off, that scenario is unlikely.
The other one, which I should have checked out before removing the pump and should have been a no-brainer is stalling of the belt drive under load. Because that is under the tractor and out of sight while I'm trying out the operation of the hydraulics, I never thought to check on that (another example of brain cell aging/decomposing) :rolleyes: . While I had the pump off, I opened it up to see if anything obvious showed up. It looks clean and I don't see any wear or sloppiness in there so I closed it up and tightened up the four bolts that hold it together. Now I can't turn it by hand but I'll loosen those bolts, spin the shaft back and forth and retighten the head bolts and retry till it works like it did before I opened it. If, when I have it all put back together, it turns out the belt(s) are slipping, I have an idler pulley for that.

Last edited: