It's time; either get started or....

/ It's time; either get started or.... #51  
Good to hear you got your welder working again Norml. Hope it'll keep working for you. :thumbsup:

Chad

/ It's time; either get started or....
So,with the welder back from the dead, I have been able to get back at it!:thumbsup: Here are some photos: 1): The frame or platform that has to hold everything that hangs off the pivot. 2): Another view of my sorry looking welds.:eek: 3 + 4): Part of the pivot taking shape. That piece may look a little flimsy right now but once all the various bits are welded into place it will be some heavy!:D What I have there is 3x4" angle butted together on the 3" sides to make 6x4" channel. A 3x1" channel will be centered and welded to it back to back. On each side of the 3" channel I want to weld 3/8x3" flat into place to serve as the mounting bracket for the boom and boom cylinder. That, plus the pivot hardware going on each end of it will make it load - ready, I think.

Attachments

• IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0975.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 264
   / It's time; either get started or.... #55  
That frame is looking good. I'm eager to see this project progress. Thanks for posting.

I had a couple of pieces custom cut for my pivot box recently and today I started assembling it. I have not seen any pivots built this way so I don't have any pattern to go by. However I like the concept of a thrust bearing to hold the weight of boom dipper and bucket as it swings. In the attached photos I show the tacked together assembly as far as I have it done. I have it held in place temporarily to show where it will be fastened.

1+2): Shows stub axles (2) for the pivot and the pieces I had custom cut. They are tacked to the 4x6" channel shown in an earlier post. 3+4): That is the extent of the swing of the pivot. On the back of that 4x6" channel I have tacked 3" channel which will act as supports for 1/2"x4" flats. Those will be pre-drilled for cylinder and boom attachments. I have cross tubing to go on the end of the boom and I will cut some up to use for reinforcement for the pin holes through the the 1/2"x4" flats. Maybe with 1/2" thickness there I won't need to reinforce the holes? What do you folks think?

Attachments

• IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0980.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0981.JPG
    IMG_0981.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 268
   / It's time; either get started or.... #57  
I love the bearing idea. That should help it operate smoothly. Good work. :thumbsup:

Chad

/ It's time; either get started or.... #58  
I see a new trend developing in Home-built backhoes. I also see an increase in demand at salvage yards for wheel hubs. Great thinking, Norm.

I see a new trend developing in Home-built backhoes. I also see an increase in demand at salvage yards for wheel hubs. Great thinking, Norm.
What else did you see while staring into that crystal ball?:laughing::laughing: Thanks for the compliment. I'm having to alter my mounting procedure a bit. When I tried to weld it to the frame it turned out to be cast in that area. Had to get that turned down to a size I can set into a piece of DOM and then wrap some steel around the rest. Hard to describe :confused2:so I'll take pictures when I have it done.

/ It's time; either get started or.... #60  
What else did you see while staring into that crystal ball?:laughing::laughing:

I didn't see anything else, but I heard some swearing. In the end I heard a very well built backhoe digging some nice trenches, holes, etc.