I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice #21  
Others have suggested the EVDO solution and it worked for me. We had a WISP vendor but service was erratic. Switching to a Verizon USB type EVDO modem - we then plug it into a USB wireless router. Now everyone can log on at the house, provided we've given them access. Speed is actually faster than the WISP. I'd think you could check a Verizon coverage map to see if you have that option.

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice #22  
Looks like Eddie's internet connection is down again. Hope he can get it up again soon to see all the suggestions.

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice #23  
Hi Eddie,
As you know, we've made the move to our 3R hone now. We elected to get Direct TV but not their Internet service since it is subbed out to Wild Blue. Instead, Loretta got an AT&T "Air Card". She gets great upload and download speed though it. In my Log Home thread, I had several suggestions given from Ravensroost which paid off. There is a new(er) router that accepts the air card and it is wireless. We plug the air card into the router and place it (the router and air card) in a spot that gets the best reception. The computers are wireless and get great reception because the air card is in the best reception spot. You can feed several computers that way and enjoy much better Internet. We pay $69 bucks a month for the one air card.
Here are some of the links he provided for me:
875 AirCard and wireless router?? - PC Cards - Wireless Forums from AT&T
3Gstore Has LinkSys WRT54G3G-AT: AT&T / HSDPA Router for AirCard 881 : EVDOinfo.com
Using a Wireless Router with an ATT aircard - Wireless Routers - Linksys Community Forums

We did not get the linksys router but another brand which was more expensive. But it had a usb port connection for the air card that Loretta already has. I believe the linksys router needs an air card that goes into the router, but if you have to buy the air card anyway, get one that fits the linksys, since it is at least a hundred bucks cheaper.
Anyway, that works for us and I hope you get a chance to check it out. BTW, Verizon also has an air card so you will need to see which cellular service works best for you. AT&T works great for us.

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice #24  
My WildBlue service really sucked for the first year. Then WildBlue came out to my place completely voluntarily to check on my service because they noticed some of my signal parameters were low. What they found is that the tech who installed my system did not use the proper weather proof crimp-on RG6 connectors. Ever since they replaced every connector, my WildBlue service has been everything advertised and doesn't hardly ever go out.

Not that I think they have good service. They were obviously just concerned that I would cancel if it continued to suck. Their phone support is still staffed full of non-tech people which really gets me since I only call with serious tech questions.

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice
NuBota said:

Eric,

This is the last page I was able to see before loosing all access to the net. Luckily, I kept it up while all my other pages disapeared and was able to read all of it!!!!!!!

Thank you.

Monday morning I started building a deck for a client. I asked him what he was using for the net and he told me Verizon. Said his son is a tech for Trane Air Conditioning and is very knowledgable on it. So he called him over later in the day and he told me about it and then that Alltel, which is who I have for my phone, also has the same service, but unlimited downloads. He said it was rare that he went over his limit on Verizon, but with games or music, it happens.

I went to Alltel and was told they had a 15 day trial period that cost $25. The upfront cost was $135, but I get $110 back if I return in before 15 days. If I kept it, I fill out a form and they rebate me $100 for a total of $35 for the modem.

Monthly fee is $59.99 plus taxes and whatever for a total that should be around $65 or so a month. I'm currently paying $60 a month for HughesNet, so that's something I'm already used to.

Steph hooked it up to her laptop last night and was amazed at how fast it was and quickly the pages loaded. She's been on the router and dealing with issues on that front. We're not sure if it's the router or Hughesnet, but it wasn't all that great. With this, she was opening pages instantly.

I just hooked it up this morning and including downloading the software, it took five minutes. Really easy and simple.

I don't know how to test to see how fast it is, but we're both extremly pleased and excited about how much faster it is then HughesNet!!! Can somebody tell me how to test the connection speed?

They sell the router for $299, which seems kind of expensive to me. The clients son told me that he got his on Amazon for allot less then Verizon sells them and for me to shop around for one. I guess that's a new priority for me. :D

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. Now I got to figure out how to cancel my account with HughesNet and stop that monthly payment for something that never worked very well, if it worked at all!!!!!

Eddie

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice #26  
EddieWalker said:
I don't know how to test to see how fast it is, but we're both extremly pleased and excited about how much faster it is then HughesNet!!! Can somebody tell me how to test the connection speed?

Eddie

Eddie, I "stole" this link from dmccarty (Dan) and it works great.

Speakeasy Speedtest

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice
Thanks for the link. I tried all of the tests and kept getting a different result. The slowest was 815 kbps download and 93 kbps upload. The highest was 1059 kbps download and 117 kbps upload. I had allot of upload speads in the low 900's, which I think is my average and my uploads were mostly in the mid to high 90's, which I think is my average.

I don't know if this is good, average or just so-so. The pages and pictures open up faster then when I was on HughesNet, so we're gonna stick with this for awhile.

Thank you,
Eddie

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice #29  
Sounds about the same as my DSL modem (Washington DC Server)

Last Result:
Download Speed: 1030 kbps (128.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 128 kbps (16 KB/sec transfer rate)

/ I've had it with HughesNet!!! Need Advice #30  
Those speeds are pretty good, I could certainly live with them. My local wireless company gives me:

Seattle
Download Speed: 3115 kbps (389.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 953 kbps (119.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

San Fran
Download Speed: 2706 kbps (338.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1039 kbps (129.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

it is advertised as a 1.5mbit up and down. I like the having the fast upload, its nice for posting pics etc.