j.d.4200

/ j.d.4200 #1  

kerr-02

This is great!First let me say,aint got no tractor,dont no nutin bout no tractor,but im gona get me a tractorYE!!!HA!!!Only thing im sure of is i want a hydrostat.Got 10 acres ta mow,hilly,trees,creek,every weed known ta mankind,and a driveway that looks the redriver when it rains.My question is whats the deal with jd,s hydro?I want ta buy 1 store bought brand new rig to keep till im too old ta crawl on it!Will this rig last or not?Thanks for any input,exalent site,honest answers only no color wars please.

/ j.d.4200 #2  
don't no nutin about no jd4200 hydro, but likes ya post. John.

/ j.d.4200 #3  
Kerr--the 4200 may be slightly underpowered, therefore, you might look at the 4300 or even 4400. I own a 4400 and can tell you that it has had PTO problems as well as the front end replaced and the transmission replaced. The earlier 4200-4300--4400's had turf-tearing problems which requires replacement of the entire front end--as a warranty issue IF that tractor was purchased with a belly mower. Hopefully, the bugs have been worked out of the 4xxx tractors that are coming off the assembly line in Georgia. The 4xxx line of JD tractors are easy to use with loaders that can be mounted in less than five minutes without tools and belly mowers that can be mounted in 15 minutes or less. However, I have owned two Kubota hydrostats and found them to be much more trouble free--the B2910HST is a popular and dependable tractor. Also the TC29D and TC33D Boomers are popular with probably the best ergonomics of any compact diesel. It would be worth your while to physically drive each of the three main colors/brands of compact diesels and purchase the one that appeals most to you. ALSO, you might check the Compact Tractor Bulletinboard for more info.--you can find it at: http://jplan.com/cgi-bin/tractor/lastDay.pl Mike S.

/ j.d.4200 #4  
Read your recent posts, keep the faith...youve had alot of problems and I hope theyve been corrected. The loader issue is puzzeling. Keep the info flowing. Is orange your favorite color..QQQ. We have a pubilication in NC that allows you to feature your item for sale, goes under various names such as heavy equipment trader etc. You might better sell what you have now before others find out that Deere is not what it used to be. I give this tip totally pissed off with John Deere for causing so much heartache.

/ j.d.4200 #5  
David--Orange may be my favorite color--right now green is NOT. It is my hope that the service dept. at my JD dealer has gotten my 4400 fully repaired. At this point, the new transmission is silky smooth--much better than when new and the tractor seems to be working great. From comments I have read and heard, some millings were left inside the tractor chassis and those filings ended up in the transmission, brakes, etc. causing significant damage. When I changed transmission fluid at 50 hours, the suction screen was covered with metal filings and the filter was pretty well plugged with metal dust AND the transmission fluid contained a lot of metal dust. Hopefully, this green lemon has been healed. It would cost me too much depreciation to get rid of this tractor, so I guess I am stuck with it, which won't be so bad IF, FROM NOW ON, it works half as well as my Kubotas. Let's see, I owned one Kubota for two years and another for ten years and the total repair bill on these two tractors was slightly under ten dollars. I have owned a JD 4400HST for one year and the dash glass is replaced, the transmission is replaced, the brakes are replaced, the front end is replaced and the PTO is repaired and that does not include a bunch of little things including that damned little black knob that comes off of the 3rd SCV if I forget and grab it instead of the metal below it (it would seem like knobs on the end of SCV valves would be designed for grabbing;-) JD can repair my 4400, but they cannot repair the first 12 months of personal frustrations of owning it. MikeS

/ j.d.4200 #6  
Looks like today was a bad day for JD Tractors. Hope you got everything finally worked out. Manufacturers would save a lot of money if they would get the bugs out BEFORE they go in full scale production and their customers would be happier too. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ j.d.4200 #7  
The internet forums (like this one) are still in the infancy period, not a lot of people look at these (well more than we probably hear from) compared to some of the other types of forums. I wonder what it will be like when instead of the common 20-30 crazies that post on this board (spoken lovingly!) there are 200 or 2000. Or not too many people post but 20,000 read it?

Sometimes you have a case of sour grapes, where an individual is badmouthing a brand because they wouldn't give him his free rubber mat for his riding lawnmower or something. David's case is not sour grapes, it's a whole dang vinyard that's gone sour. But as long as they make good on the deal, a loaner during the downtime, a VERY long extended warranty for damage to any part of the contaminated system (no matter how well "cleaned out" it's all you can expect. I would think though with such a situation they'd yank the tractor back in, give him another one, regardless of cost. That saying a happy camper tells no one, an unhappy one tells 100 really is true. I just wonder what it will be like when there are so many people watching this type of board that when someone has a problem JD corporate gets 5000 emails requesting they get off their duffs?

Fortunately there are still good dealers out there that will do their darndest to make it right, sometimes without much support from the manufacturer.

On David's tractor is it like my Ford where the transmission shares fluid with the loader, backhoe and steering? Those areas could be damaged by an overload of junk as well. Especially the hydraulic pump(s).

David, keep the faith a lot of us have been there.

Del

[email]oldcarparts@mygarage.com [/email]

/ j.d.4200 #8  
I'd just like to make a clarification, the person who has the 4400 hst with the problems is Mike S. Mike has kept me informed on his tractor helping me make an informed decision on my purchase. I had a dealer prepare a 4400hst,60inch belly mower, 420 loader, and 50 inch tiller for delivery to my home about a month ago. Due to an impending surgery which was delayed, the delivery was delayed. THANK GOODNESS people like Mike S, Chuck Westerfield and so many others post their problems. These guys saved me alot of heartache. Im still tractorless except for my 345 mower, because of these folks I can sit back awhile and allow this thing to shake out. Maybe it was early production problems, I hope so. Again thanks guys.

/ j.d.4200 #9  
Well,got about 29hrs on my 4200 4x4 420 loader.Damn fine machine folks!!If it last 5 years before it cost me any $ outside of reg. mant.I love my 4200!Very user friendly roomydarn good seat!

/ j.d.4200 #10  
Kerr is that you?

How the heck are ya? How's that Deere treating ya? Break it yet? Just kidding. Man you weren't kidding about the color wars here. It's easy to see the hype and hyperbole. How come you reckon? Thinks it's, "see how smart I am, because I bought an XYZ tractor?" Or, "I must make alot of money, because I bought the super X model with automatic everything
on it." Aw who cares, there's some pretty good info here, every now and then. Take care of yourself, and I'll catch you down the road.....