JD 110 tlb vs. Kioti dk40

/ JD 110 tlb vs. Kioti dk40
Thanks Dave.

/ JD 110 tlb vs. Kioti dk40 #52  
I can't run a small BH well enough to impress anyone, but I can pick up a coke can with a commercial machine with pilot controls. Some operators could probably pick up an egg! If you like your small backhoe, never try a big machine.

True enough... Still have to have the work that demands a "dedicated" TLB (no 3pt) and the bank account!

AKfish

/ JD 110 tlb vs. Kioti dk40 #53  
Duty cycle is part of the equation. Bigger pins, heavier pin bosses, beefier frames, more hydraulics, larger lines, better filtration capacity, more oil capacity, more cooling, etc. When they design a backhoe attachment for a farm tractor, it is designed with a particular duty cycle and they actually design them with a duty lifetime in hours. You will not find that data anywhere, but it is part of the design parameters. Whereas a TLB might be designed for triple the duty.

For the average user, the Kioti/Mahindra/LS, etc., will dig all the holes you need and you won't wear it out. But if you plan to run a lot of 8 hour days digging at or near maximum, the dedicated TLB will outlast the farm tractor/backhoe attachment by a long ways.

We sell a ton of tractors, and about every 4th one goes out with a backhoe attachment. I like them, I sell them and folks are happy. But if a guy says he is going to dig septic tanks and do backfills commercially with multiple operators on a daily basis, I suggest he pays the $100k plus for a dedicated JD310 or Cat 416. Or that he gets an excavator.

Keep in mind the quality of the controls. The controls themselves, just the valve bank, on a full size excavator costs more than an entire backhoe attachment for a 40 HP tractor. Yes they are smooth...they should be.

For the average homeowner or hobby farm, a backhoe attachment does a wonderful job. Throw away the shovel! Toss the wheel barrow. Save your back. It's all good.

I think that pretty well sums it up. Very well written Dave.

/ JD 110 tlb vs. Kioti dk40 #54  
A couple of years ago I found what I considered a bargain on a used Kubota B26 with about 60 hours for $20500. I have put close to 400 hours on it now and granted it may set for a month but I still need the backhoe and wouldn't think of selling it. I haven't had much use for a shovel and none for a wheelbarrow since I got it.
I would not buy one without a hydraulic thumb as they make the machine so much more user friendly. For the OP's 2.5 acres, I thing the B26 would do fine. IT isn't as big or strong or as fast as the larger commercial units but it is considered a commercial grade machine and is much more capable than a similar sized tractor with attached backhoe and the 4001# weight means it is easy to trailer if needed.
I have used mine to dig stumps, dig around and push over some fairly large dead pine trees, trenched for several hundred feet of sprinkler and water lines, used it to dig holes to plant trees and flowers, pushed up brush piles with it some of which were fairly large oak limbs. I am always amazed at how much this little tractor will do and what little fuel it uses.
I also like the small size as it is so easy to get into small places. With the HST, I don't have to get off or even turn the seat to move it when digging. I have a small piece of steel rod that I keep in a piece of square tubing mounted to the BH control station. When I need to move, I just pull out the rod and reach the HST floor pedal and push it to move forward or back, very easy and safe.

/ JD 110 tlb vs. Kioti dk40 #55  
A couple of years ago I found what I considered a bargain on a used Kubota B26 with about 60 hours for $20500. I have put close to 400 hours on it now and granted it may set for a month but I still need the backhoe and wouldn't think of selling it. I haven't had much use for a shovel and none for a wheelbarrow since I got it.
I would not buy one without a hydraulic thumb as they make the machine so much more user friendly. For the OP's 2.5 acres, I thing the B26 would do fine. IT isn't as big or strong or as fast as the larger commercial units but it is considered a commercial grade machine and is much more capable than a similar sized tractor with attached backhoe and the 4001# weight means it is easy to trailer if needed.
I have used mine to dig stumps, dig around and push over some fairly large dead pine trees, trenched for several hundred feet of sprinkler and water lines, used it to dig holes to plant trees and flowers, pushed up brush piles with it some of which were fairly large oak limbs. I am always amazed at how much this little tractor will do and what little fuel it uses.
I also like the small size as it is so easy to get into small places. With the HST, I don't have to get off or even turn the seat to move it when digging. I have a small piece of steel rod that I keep in a piece of square tubing mounted to the BH control station. When I need to move, I just pull out the rod and reach the HST floor pedal and push it to move forward or back, very easy and safe.

The Kubota "commercial grade" TLB's are solid, stout machines! And, they are sized to fit the different work needs of small, medium and larger property owners.

AKfish

/ JD 110 tlb vs. Kioti dk40 #56  

I have rented a B26 a few times when working out of town and found it to be a very good small tlb. I agree it would be a smart choice for small properties.

/ JD 110 tlb vs. Kioti dk40 #57  
I can't run a small BH well enough to impress anyone, but I can pick up a coke can with a commercial machine with pilot controls. Some operators could probably pick up an egg! If you like your small backhoe, never try a big machine.

Exactly! We have sold quite a few Mahindra backhoes to guys that are professional operators at their real jobs, and we just have to set proper expectations right up front. Those guys never complain about the performance. They know that $250k excavator ought to dig a little better than this $6500 attachment.

I like my excavator, but I'd sure take a small backhoe attachment any day of the week over a shovel. Controls are a little "basic" and power and reach is so-so....but wow what an improvement over digging manually. About every 4th tractor leaves here with a backhoe on it. Maybe one guy a year ever calls and says he is done with the backhoe and wants to sell the attachment. And of course if that guy does call, we are glad to buy a used attachment and resell it again.

/ JD 110 tlb vs. Kioti dk40 #58  
Heard a Mahindra radio spot driving in to work this morning... it was on a San Francisco station.

Maybe the station covers a large area because many counties here don't have a single tractor dealership.

/ JD 110 tlb vs. Kioti dk40 #59  
When every scoop is basically a wheelbarrow worth of dirt, a backhoe is real nice to have. Most people on this board do not need a true backhoe or excavator. Seems half the time mine is used to bury a cow that died the night before or dig out an occasional stump. You don't need a pro unit for that. One point I did not see here is that they make an excellent back weight when you are lifting with the FEL. No way my back tires come off the ground.

/ JD 110 tlb vs. Kioti dk40 #60  
When every scoop is basically a wheelbarrow worth of dirt, a backhoe is real nice to have. Most people on this board do not need a true backhoe or excavator. Seems half the time mine is used to bury a cow that died the night before or dig out an occasional stump. You don't need a pro unit for that. One point I did not see here is that they make an excellent back weight when you are lifting with the FEL. No way my back tires come off the ground.

Wish I could make that statement about my 5075M.. Even with a 1,000lbs hanging on the 3pt, the loader will toss the rear end around like a mean dog!

AKfish