JD 1530 will not stay in reverse

/ JD 1530 will not stay in reverse #1  

Shopwright

Tractor
John Deere 1530, Massey-Ferguson 1754
JD 1530 will not stay in reverse

/ JD 1530 will not stay in reverse #2  
Welcome to this forum
Please provide more information. Does this 1530 have manual or hyd reverse. If manual only is gearshift lever moving shift rail full engagement before coming out of reverse?

/ JD 1530 will not stay in reverse
Thanks for the reply. The shift is manual. I can engage reverse gear (sometimes with difficulty) and operate the tractor, but it will not stay in gear. Holding the lever back manually will keep it engaged.

/ JD 1530 will not stay in reverse #4  
50 year old tractor, and may have some transmission shifting or gear wear that needs to be addressed.

Here is a link to JD parts that shows what the shifting forks look like and the cover plate to inspect.

Can you add some history of your ownership, be it from new or how long you have experience with this model?? What the tractor has been used for ?

Do you do your own mechanics ?

/ JD 1530 will not stay in reverse
50 year old tractor, and may have some transmission shifting or gear wear that needs to be addressed.

Here is a link to JD parts that shows what the shifting forks look like and the cover plate to inspect.

Can you add some history of your ownership, be it from new or how long you have experience with this model?? What the tractor has been used for ?

Do you do your own mechanics ?
I bought this tractor from a dealer in 1975. It was used in light farm work, then completely restored in 2016 including engine rebuild. Total hours are less than 2500. I have never had any transmission issues until a few weeks ago. The tractor is used now as a loader tractor, very light work, never kept outside. Yes, I do as much mechanical work that I am capable of or understand. Thanks for your reply.

Attachments

• John Deere Restore 2.jpg
    John Deere Restore 2.jpg
    856.3 KB · Views: 37
   / JD 1530 will not stay in reverse #6  
Thanks, she's a beauty.
May be it is something simple, but I'd think worth a look-see into the top of the tranny for anything obvious. Then try to assess any wear that can be fixed without opening up the tranny.
For only the cost of the cover gasket, you can check out how the forks slide the gears around. May be it is just something not sliding and only needs some penetrating oil or brake cleaner to loosen it up. Or some condensation has caused some rust that inhibits sliding forks. Hope for something simple.
Hope you keep us informed about what you find.

/ JD 1530 will not stay in reverse #7  
   / JD 1530 will not stay in reverse #8  
Wonder if the ball on the end of the shift lever is worn looks like its replaceable. On my International I had to build up the end of the shift lever with weld as there was not a replaceable tip.

/ JD 1530 will not stay in reverse #10  
Good point, basically any pivot points in the shift lever wear over time so there will be several wear points. On my tractor the shift lever moved forewared and back plus side to side there was noticeable wear in those pins also contributing to the sloppyness of the shifter.