JD 1530 will not stay in reverse

/ JD 1530 will not stay in reverse
Thanks for all the comments. I pulled the gear shift cover and found the bushing supporting the shift lever ball had worn through to the cast aluminum cover. A new cover from John Deere is over a thousand bucks--several used listed from $110 to $400! Assuming the used parts may have similar damage, I will probably bore the casting and sleeve the bushing. I know there is not a lot of meat there to work with. Any other comments are certainly welcome. This is such a simple problem compared to what may have been a more serious issue, requiring splitting the tractor. However, simple problems often have not-so-simple fixes. Incidentally, the right-hand shift bushing is like new. Makes sense as the left-hand lever controls the forward/reverse action.

I agree you have a very nice 1530. Due to 1530 trans having no synchronizers my guess is either shifter isn't fully engaging into reverse gear or a shift rail detent spring(item 23) has collapsed. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/58898/referrer/navigation/pgId/214279

Good point, basically any pivot points in the shift lever wear over time so there will be several wear points. On my tractor the shift lever moved forewared and back plus side to side there was noticeable wear in those pins also contributing to the sloppyness of the shifter.
I removed the cover plate and found the bushing supporting the shift lever ball to be worn to the extent it has damaged the aluminum cover plate. A new cover plate from Deere is priced at over 1,000 bucks. Used parts run $110 to $400. Used parts may be in similar shape. I may be able to bore it and make a sleeve to house the bushing. There is not a lot of meat there to work with and will wait until a new bushing is in hand before proceeding. I certainly appreciate your comments. This is a case where the problem is simple, but the fix not-so-simple.

/ JD 1530 will not stay in reverse #13  
Glad you found the problem, which a 1,000 buck part is cheaper than what it could have been. So, weigh that into your decision, but a shot at your bushing idea certainly seems worth making the effort.

/ JD 1530 will not stay in reverse #14  
Congratulations on your determining your tractors shifting problem.

Easy diagnosis, difficult repair. I bored the damaged cast aluminum cover plate and made a plastic bushing, picture #1. The bore, however, made the snap ring groove unusable and a new approach was needed to retain the ball on the shift lever. I machined a hold-down plate, retainer, and standoffs as seen in picture#2. The retainer is shown in picture#3 and the trial assembly on bench in picture#4. Picture #5 shows the mounted hold down on the tractor. This was a non-standard approach to fixing a hopeless situation as a new casting would cost over $1,000 if available. A minor issue was the sheet metal cover (not shown) that encountered interference, but that was fixed by fabricating some simple attachment brackets. The tractor now changes gears smoothly and stays in reverse. The conclusion is that the damaged bushing/housing was preventing the action of the shift lever to fully engage the reverse gear.

Attachments

• Gear Shift Bushing.jpg
    Gear Shift Bushing.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 30
  • Gear Shift Parts.jpg
    Gear Shift Parts.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Gear Shift Retainer.jpg
    Gear Shift Retainer.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 26
  • Gear Shift Hold Down Plate.jpg
    Gear Shift Hold Down Plate.jpg