JD 2210 vs. Bx 2200

/ JD 2210 vs. Bx 2200 #11  
I think you'll own a fine tractor with either choice, but here are some observations of things I thought would affect my decision:
1. Hollow plastic deck on the JD. I'm sure this wont' be an issue during warranty, but how will that deck stand up over the next 10 years or more of UV, cold weather, and heavy use? The kubota has a metal deck.
2. The Bota also has a reverse air-flow design, which allows me to keep mowing when clippings, milkweed seed, etc get plastered over the intake. It's right in front of me, so all I do is lean over andbrush it off. No stopping required, as would be necessary on the JD. I'd have to do it a LOT in summer, so this would be a real negative in my case. I'm spoiled.
3. Gas tank location....I used to hate lugging a diesel can over my hood to fill it on my dad's big Bota. On the BX its on the fender, real easy to fill, and no worries about drips.
4. Personal preference, but I now love that single pedal design of the Bota. I thought I'd hate it at first, but once you get used to it it's amazing how fast you can maneuver. I wouldn't have any other now.
5. Horsepower rating at the PTO. If I remember right, the BX has the advantage here.

None of this was meant to bash the JD, I actually like the design overall, and if my dealer wasn't so great, and if the JD people were friendlier here, that could swing me into driving the 2210. I just thought I'd give you some features that shouldn't be totally overlooked on the BX. Enjoy whatever you get and be sure to post some pics!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD 2210 vs. Bx 2200 #12  
I saw my first 2210 today, nice machine, /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif if they had it out a year ago, when I was looking at the BX it would have been really hard to decide, 62 inch deck, /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gifwow. I think the 3 point hitch on the 2210 is a much nicer set up. I do not think the 2210 people will have the problems with 3 pt fitting the tractor as the BX folks do, see picture

Attachments

• 240040-3 pt.jpg
    240040-3 pt.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 254
   / JD 2210 vs. Bx 2200 #14  
Here is a close up. I would worry something would hit it and cause some real damage, you think they would have found a better place for it. As far as changing the filter, well that will be very easy...BUT

Attachments

• 240043-fuel filter.jpg
    240043-fuel filter.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 237
   / JD 2210 vs. Bx 2200 #15  
I did like the layout of the engine compartment, I like the full view of the radiator fill, I can not see the liquid level on the BX without taking the sides off, real pain with the grill guard on. I guess if you are the second kid on the block to have a sub compact, you can build a better mousetrap This took what 3 years to come out?? Would I spend $1000-1500 more for a 2210????, if I was looking again, I may /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 240045-engine.jpg
    240045-engine.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 178
   / JD 2210 vs. Bx 2200
Guy's
I found that the 2210 is cheaper in my area than the Bx believe it or not. The bx was about 125.00 higher than the JD and with JD's perks at this time I think it is the better deal
/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ JD 2210 vs. Bx 2200 #17  
What do you think of the location of the fuel tank fill? I like the Bx better, I am short and the location on the wheel well is nice. Guess if you are 6 foot it would not matter. One thing I did notice with my short legs and big gut, the wheel was too close and the foot pedals were too far away /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 240049-tank.jpg
    240049-tank.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 160
   / JD 2210 vs. Bx 2200 #18  
Tom,

I think I would have that filter knocked off the first day I was clearing trees. That is not a good place. I just can't believe they couldn't find a better place.

Murph

/ JD 2210 vs. Bx 2200 #19  
I've been in the market for a <font color="orange">bx2200, or a bx22 </font> for about 2 years now. We've been waiting for the new house to be built for that time. When I began looking, <font color="green">John Deere</font> didn't have much to offer in this size. I want a FEL and a MMM (60" or better)

A couple of people mentioned that they got 63" and 64" MMM but the Deere website only shows a 54" for this tractor. So what is correct? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

What's the deal on JD financing? Kubota has as low as 2.9% financing. One JD rep I spoke with (at a home show) said that JD only had around 7%.

Also I heard from the same sales rep that there is a folding ROPS option, again, can't find anything on the website. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I also can't find anything specific about financing or promotions for the 2210 on the JD web-site. Unfortunately, I may not be able to take advantage of any current promotions anyway as the house probably won't be finished until June with all of the weather delays we've been having. Still it would be nice to know what they're offering.

The FEL that JD has appears to have dual cylinders for for bucket curl. Is this true? I also can't find any specs on the FEL, so I can't compare to the bx2200/22

So what do you guys think?

/ JD 2210 vs. Bx 2200 #20  
Hey, Charlie. A couple of quick, non-contentious points:

<font color="blue"> 1. Hollow plastic deck on the JD. I'm sure this wont' be an issue during warranty, but how will that deck stand up over the next 10 years or more of UV, cold weather, and heavy use? The kubota has a metal deck.
</font>

Answer: The deck is certainly plastic, but not hollow. I installed an add-on hose routing bracket and had to drill through a pre-marked spot. Solid, at least 3/4". If you hate plastic for the sake of hating plastic, you won't like any new tractor or the 2210. I was skittish about the operator deck at first but have no concerns at all with it now. It feels more solid than many metal ops stations.

<font color="blue"> 2. The Bota also has a reverse air-flow design, which allows me to keep mowing when clippings, milkweed seed, etc get plastered over the intake. It's right in front of me, so all I do is lean over andbrush it off. No stopping required, as would be necessary on the JD. I'd have to do it a LOT in summer, so this would be a real negative in my case. I'm spoiled.
</font>
Answer: I was spoiled with the same setup as the BX on my JD 400 series. The reverse air flow with screens between my knees and on the side of the back engine compartment was easy to brush off. However, the reason there were clippings getting sucked into the screen there was because the intake is behind the front wheels and front of the deck which are the primary cause of airborne debris. With the intake and screens out in front of the front wheels and deck, I think clearing clippings and debris will be required less frequently.

<font color="blue"> 3. Gas tank location....I used to hate lugging a diesel can over my hood to fill it on my dad's big Bota. On the BX its on the fender, real easy to fill, and no worries about drips.
</font>

Answer: Yup', I have to lift my tank above the hood and wipe up the inevitable spill now.

<font color="blue"> 4. Personal preference, but I now love that single pedal design of the Bota. I thought I'd hate it at first, but once you get used to it it's amazing how fast you can maneuver. I wouldn't have any other now. </font>

Answer: Yup', we're all good at the method we currently use.

<font color="blue"> 5. Horsepower rating at the PTO. If I remember right, the BX has the advantage here.
</font>

Answer: Nope, the 2210 has the advantage, but there's no practical advantage either way. Even if the difference were 1-1/2 horsepower at the PTO, it would not open up a new set or size of PTO implement for either tractor. I think the 3-point hitch advantage of the 2210 does allow for some implements with wider pins or taller masts to be used with the 2210. Nothing I own, though.

There is also a picture of the exposed fuel above that cause me some concern. That area is a bit more isolated than the picture shows, behind the side support for the loader. If something gets in there to damage the filter you wil also need to worry about operator safety. It's high-impact plastic, too.

These tractors are too close and a couple of points we both raise may be the deciding factor between them. Buy for dealer, price, and gut...that's my $ 0.05 worth, adjusted upward for economic reasons. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif