JD 260 fuel pump loses prime when sitting for a few weeks

/ JD 260 fuel pump loses prime when sitting for a few weeks
Not sure on how that engine is built but if you have mechanical skills not a terribly difficult job to replace those gears.

I have seen three different failure modes.

1) timing gears on cam go. Have not seen engine damage from this but could be possible.
2) governor gear broke, engine would idle or run away nothing in between. Fixed this one for a friend
3) oil pump drive gear fails and ruins the block. Seen this on two larger EFI engines. Both engines required new short block.
Yep lost the governor setup among countless other problems on an old 214 I have, if so many of those parts weren't interchangable with my 212s id probably part that thing out and scrap the rest. With that 214 I used to fix one thing using actual replacement parts only to have a host of other problems come up so I kind of gave up on it and am using it for spare parts. Hence my apprehension on replacing OEM parts on my 260. What Ive come to enjoy doing on these old JDs is backwoods non OEM approved hackery which seems to work keeping these things going it's almost like I'm 30 yrs younger in HS trying to keep one of my first cars running lol.

/ JD 260 fuel pump loses prime when sitting for a few weeks #22  
You have more patience than I have.

/ JD 260 fuel pump loses prime when sitting for a few weeks #23  
Yep lost the governor setup among countless other problems on an old 214 I have, if so many of those parts weren't interchangable with my 212s id probably part that thing out and scrap the rest. With that 214 I used to fix one thing using actual replacement parts only to have a host of other problems come up so I kind of gave up on it and am using it for spare parts. Hence my apprehension on replacing OEM parts on my 260. What Ive come to enjoy doing on these old JDs is backwoods non OEM approved hackery which seems to work keeping these things going it's almost like I'm 30 yrs younger in HS trying to keep one of my first cars running lol.
At least you can work on the old stuff without electrical degree. My X540 has multiple circuit boards while the trusty old 112 was pretty simple machine to diagnose and repair.

/ JD 260 fuel pump loses prime when sitting for a few weeks #24  
I might of done a head once, but never anything otherwise internal on these. Awesome, but getting old and I understand the need for caution here. Replacing the lines with the proper one and a $10 shut off valve is all I see here. Tygon belongs on saws. You need a fuel line that seals and structurally and isn't flimsy to wash out the action of the pump.

Ok but why is tygon available over an 1/8" than,? started using it yrs ago when brand new cheaper junk became more prevalent on the market I was tired of replacing hardened, internally degraded, and brittle cheap fuel lines. I would not use it for high pressure fuel systems though. I learned to be careful routing and supporting it. And have used split plastic wiring looms to cover it where abrasion problems could be
a problem. For me I actually like to see it going into a carb on old junk cuz more than likely If undamaged I won't need to replace it.

I've probably mentioned this elsewhere but I swear whoever designed the 200 series lawn tractors must have had tiny hands. Cuz you need tiny hands to occasionally fix these things imo.

/ JD 260 fuel pump loses prime when sitting for a few weeks #27  
I've seen just about all in fuel lines. Personally, I use mostly the Briggs low permeable line. It doesn't rot, get brittle plus holds its shape for pumping etc. These diaphragm pumps are effective enough, but not overly strong to begin with. Maybe a 2' foot lift or so. Flimsy line can and does create delivery issues. You buy aftermarket line once and you won't want to again. Sure a good Gates like or something. Maybe Tygon and like have improved. I find that it becomes rock hard. It's always a joy cutting hard fuel line off. The thing to keep in mind is any original line that is left on the tractor is 30 years old. Since you're dealing with fuel flowing back into the tank, something isn't right here. You could argue that the check valves in the pump aren't perfect, but are they ever?

Quickest easiest fix seems to be putting a fuel shut off in and seeing if that works plus I have a few on hand. I'm thinking in between filter and pump. If it's real tygon it won't get brittle or harden or at least the fuel lines I've replaced never have.

Couple dollar primer bulb Hack fixed JD 260 hard starting, quick and runs good again for a 30+ yr old lawn tractor. I did straighten a OEM metal hose hanger and put two layers of heat shrink over it for abrasion resistance straightened rather than removed to reuse it in case I ever rebuild pump, zip ties are temporary but work great on low pressure lines. Thanks everyone

Attachments

• KIMG2530.JPG
    KIMG2530.JPG
    800.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited: