JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build
I'm pleased to see that photobucket seems to have unlocked my pictures... Enjoy!

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #242  
I'm pleased to see that photobucket seems to have unlocked my pictures... Enjoy!

How do you get the full sized picture to show up in your post, rather than the thumbnail?

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build
It has to do with how the photo is hosted... ones I've posted lately thru this site post as a thumbnail pic, earlier ones hosted on Photobucket can be posted as fullsize, but were also not visible for about a year, until recently.

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #244  
I have had egress in mind ever since I put the plywood top on mine and smacked my head the first time. The front post will only hinder getting a 5 gallon can onto the hood to fuel up, but I tryed the in and out routine a few times during the mock up stage, no issues. Like Richard, I will likely add handles to the front post, but more for use in the seat, not egress. The last thing I want to do in a rollover situation is grab for a place to brace myself, grab the post, and get my fingers smashed.

I have been wanting to build a full cage ROPS since I got my tractor about 2.5 years ago. My farm is 100% hillside, and I push my tractor to the limits regularly. I've added wheel spacers to add a total of 9" width in the rear, which made a huge difference in stability, but I want the protection of a full cage.

Spring of 2014, I made a quick canopy out of plywood and boards, to both give me shade and rain protection, as well as get used to an object over my head during egress and regular use. Though it looks tacky, it has served me well.

Last weekend I started cutting some metal. 2x2x1/8" box tube will be what is used for most of the construction, with gusseted corners, and 1/4" angle and flat plate at the mounting points. My goal is no modification to the factory ROPS or loader mounts, while still being mounted solidly.

I was able to get the roof section cut out, with ends mitered to fit, 36"x48". Slightly wider than top of factory ROPS, and 4" longer than current plywood canopy.

This will be a 'few minutes here, and hour there' project, and updates will be posted accordingly, as I make progress.
Just found this thread. How heavy does the canopy have to be in steel of alum, in gauge or thickness?

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #246  
I have seen all kinds of stuff used for a roof. A top from a golf cart or cut from a p/u bed liner, steel as light as 1/16". I built mine 3 years ago and just put some 1/2" CDX plywood up there until I found something better. The ply wood is still there. A skin fastened to a solid frame is stronger than you might think.

I also used DeiselCrawlers great thread to get ideas on how to build it.

22_8_22-1.jpg

22_10_20-6.jpg

gg

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #247  
I have been really wanting to do this to my Kubota. The dinky support of the factory canopy leaves ALOT to be desired. I have a hard time getting the darn thing to stay up so that I can stand on my tractor during operation. Not to mention stuff falling on the hood and canopy...