JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build
Got it mounted to the tractor today. Seems the lower mounts 'pulled' a little during final welding, took force to get them to line up. But its on there!

Spent an hour this evening brush hogging. Finally got to give the brush screen a good test...

It's AWESOME! Back into brush, briars, branches... so nice. I will, however, be painting the inside of the screen black, the yellow is very visually distracting. A fog of flat black paint, in the area I commonly look thru, will do the trick.

I do want to finish the side screens... back is a huge improvement, but adding sides will 'finish' the project.

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #232  
Spent an hour this evening brush hogging. Finally got to give the brush screen a good test...

It's AWESOME! Back into brush, briars, branches... so nice. I will, however, be painting the inside of the screen black, the yellow is very visually distracting. A fog of flat black paint, in the area I commonly look thru, will do the trick.

I do want to finish the side screens... back is a huge improvement, but adding sides will 'finish' the project.

That looks awesome Greg! How did the exhaust sound in the brush?

Let's just say, there was no doubt which direction I went when I left the house...

I shared further thoughts in the exhaust thread. It's loud, but I'll tolerate it...

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #234  
Let's just say, there was no doubt which direction I went when I left the house...

I shared further thoughts in the exhaust thread. It's loud, but I'll tolerate it...

Having done exhaust mods before, let me add you will tolerate it--for now. The drone of exhaust that resonates under that canopy after a long day will make your head feel like it's going to explode.

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #235  
Screen looks great Greg. I totally understand the color thing. :)

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #236  
Got it mounted to the tractor today. Seems the lower mounts 'pulled' a little during final welding, took force to get them to line up. But its on there!

Very nice.. A few peaces of lexan and you could close it in and call it a cab. I used lexan to build a windshield on my ATV. Here is a quick video about how you can use and work with lexan. Making an ATV windshield from Lexan - YouTube

Thanks, gap.

I'm aware of Lexan, my co-worker was in the auto glass business for 30 years, and does all the truck and equipment window repairs at work, some of which is is Lexan.

I don't want a full cab, but do intend to add side mesh panels in addition to the back, mostly on the right side.

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #238  
So, how did the Innertube work out in quieting down the Sound?

Love the Thread, it's nice when others add pics of what they did. Gives the rest of us ideas on how to do ours.

I've never bothered to insulate anything. After the exhaust mod, it's so d@MN loud, I don't notice any ROPS sounds! Over all, I'm pleased with how things have turned out to this point. I still want to replace the 3/4" plywood on the top with some 11ga aluminum sheet my dad gave me, and will likely use some innertube or rubber tape of some type between that and the ROPS top, but otherwise, I'm running it as is...

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #240  
For a simple and inexpensive canopy I went to a sheet metal heating/AC shop and had them take a piece of steel and put that mild "X" dimple in it (for rigidity) on the top surface and then fold over the sides for a finished look. The "X"fold dimple is like you see on the side of a furnace box or big heat venting.

Anyway, I painted it and it looked factory original. I have since sold the tractor but the top was painfully inexpensive. Not sure of the price but it was way cheaper than I figured.