JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build
Starting to tinker with a new exhaust system. Plan to replace it from the manifold out... Follow the stock route out and under the side panel and up along the limb riser to over the roof area of the ROPS. Tired of the bucket being blackened by soot.

Marked, cut, and drilled the plate that will bolt to manifold where the muffler currently resides. 3/8" mild steel plate, 2 -3/4" square.

Should I add that to this thread or start another?

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #222  
Do you use a torch to "connect the dots?"

I havent cut out the center hole yet. I used the gasket (on the right) to mark out the holes. I will use a torch to cut the center, and a die grinder to clean up that hole to match the OD of the pipe I plan to insert into the plate, and weld together.

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #224  
In the picture it looks like there are 300 little holes drilled along the circumference. Hence "connecting the dots." I guess it's an optical illusion. :confused3:

LOL... Yes, you are seeing correctly. I used a center punch to mark the line I want to cut, as the torch burns off the marker ink I used to trace the gasket. Trick a co-worker showed me, easy to see the punch markes while torching the hole.

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #226  
LOL... Yes, you are seeing correctly. I used a center punch to mark the line I want to cut, as the torch burns off the marker ink I used to trace the gasket. Trick a co-worker showed me, easy to see the punch markes while torching the hole.

Ok. I understand now. Punch marks not holes :thumbsup:
I thought it was some machinist trick I didn't know. :confused3:
Sorry and Thanks :drink:

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #227  
Hey Greg, were it me, I'd start a new thread about this exhaust work. Yours is going to be specific to fit your tractor. But you've already shown details in fabrication that someone else wanting to build a specific exhaust system could benefit from knowing. Those of us that follow you know it's not just going to be a cobbled up project!!! :)

If you start a new thread, link us lazy readers to it so we don't miss out please. :cool:

/ JD 3005 full cage ROPS/FOPS build #228  
Catchy name "Palletainer". :D

Dont worry, Richard. I'll drag you along with a link when I start a new thread. *grin*