JD 4300 basket case

/ JD 4300 basket case #1  

double hunter

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1715
I just acquired a JD4300 project (basket case), supposedly running when prev owner passed 5yrs ago, been setting out side,,i want to see if this boy is gonna run before I get to deep in it,,the wires going into the fuel solenoid are cut,,left about 6",,why I dont know, I dont see the other end,,i would think that i could put battery to one of these leads and get the fuel solenoid to work,,3 leads,,red,black and white,,got to replace the fuel lines as they are quite brittle,,I was also wondering if the solenoid could be removed and the cut off switch be operated manually,,,any help geratly appreciated,,I may have stepped in it this time, but oh well its got a good loader on it

/ JD 4300 basket case
that sounds good,,I found an old thread and the man said you could remove the soilenoid and this would allow it to crank,,just replace the solenoi and it will cut off,,im gonna give this a try,,the 2 fuel lines going to the fuel pump are off,,still there just not connected,,there is a line from under the steering column and I am assuming this from the tank as there is ample fuel supply,,does anyone which side of the fuel pump it connects to and there is another line from the pump up to the fuel filter,,its a 50/50 shot but im waiting for a JB weld repair to set up,,one of the connections to the pump was loose,,as i said this thing is sad right now, I have the solenoid off,,i connected battey to the red wire and grounded the black,,the solenoid did not operate,,did the same thing with the white with same result,,

/ JD 4300 basket case
I wish that whoever was fooling with hadnt cut the connector off,,now I got figure out where all this goes

/ JD 4300 basket case #4  
Here's a pic IMG_20180321_164512.jpg

/ JD 4300 basket case
Thanks for the picture,,thats the way I have it set up,,i am getting fuel to the injector,,opened one of the lines and I am not getting spurts of fuel out of it,,I have the solenoid out,,still not cranking,,i put the red and white together and solenoid is doing nothing,,must be bad,,I sprayed a dab and i mean a dab of starting fluid in the breather and it is wanting to run,,,it run my finger up in the hole where the solenoid goes and I dont know how much movement there is supposed to be there but it is very little,,all I got do is get fuel to this and i believe it will run

/ JD 4300 basket case
Im gonna head up to NAPA and see if they have this solenoid,,lloks like it used on several apps.,,,i read on another thread that this system is supposed to be self bleeeding,,Is this right

/ JD 4300 basket case #7  
Be EXTREMELY careful using starting fluid. Doesn't take much to damage the engine.

/ JD 4300 basket case #8  
Most likely the fuel solenoid activates the injection pump. There may also be a Thermister involved with the solenoid wiring.

A new JD solenoid is probably in the two hundred dollar range. The Thermister is around ten dollars.

You will find lots of threads here on the JD 4000 series on solenoid problems.

/ JD 4300 basket case
Napa didnt have anything like that, guess ill have to order one,,ether is a killer,,i shot just a little (very little)in it for curiosity sake,,this thing will run if I can get some fuel to it