JD 455E crawler loader buying questions

/ JD 455E crawler loader buying questions #1  

Dunno

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford
Hi Guys,
Brand new here. I've read lots of great posts on here, and decided to join.
I'm looking at purchasing a 1987 JD 455E crawler loader. Machine has low hours - under 2000 - yet seems pretty beat-up. The sprockets are just points now, and the right track adjuster is "adjusted" with a steel wedge jammed in there to keep the leaking or busted adjuster/seal from moving. The under carriage is very rust, with a flaking steel in places. Should the sprockets have worn so quickly? It appears there was a lack of maintenance, but it was owned by an older fellow and I assumed the old timers kept their equipment up. The overall condition is rusty with no paint touch-up. That is good for me, as it shows the condition better than freshly painted, except for the structural rust. The machine has not moved in a few years, and comes with a backhoe. I don't see myself putting more than 200- 500 hours total on the machine on a small farm.
I know the undercarriage parts are exorbitantly expensive, and trying to avoid the headaches I have read about. With such low hours, if I replaced the sprockets and fixed/resealed the adjusters, do you think there will be life left in the UC?
I need a machine to move and clean-up ten very large, 17 year old stump piles from 20 acres of cleared land. I bought the property a year and a half ago, and really want to get rid of the piles. Some of the stumps are massive, but a lot of them have turned pulpy from sitting. My plan is to move the pulpy stuff to a dirt road and run over it with the tracks to smush them, then load them into a compost pile. The harder ones I'll move to a burn pile. I've read about sticks and branches wreaking havoc on undercarriages and hoses - dose my plan sound feasible? I might be finish clearing and grading two more acres of heavy woods after the loggers get through with it. I'll probably be left with the stumps from that too. Thanks.
Best regards.
John

/ JD 455E crawler loader buying questions #2  
Do NOT believe an hourmeter! Sounds like WAY more hours than 2000. Not saying it would not serve your needs and perhaps not break you in repairs, but go into this with eyes wide open. Paying a pro mechanic a few bucks to look it over may be money well spent.

/ JD 455E crawler loader buying questions #3  
By the way, welcome to the forum!

/ JD 455E crawler loader buying questions #4  
Depending on what it was run in, and what UC it had to begin with, the UC CAN easily be completely run out in 2000 hours...

Wait until you see what it going to cost to make it right again!!!!

SR

/ JD 455E crawler loader buying questions
Storm and Sawyer,
Thanks for the replies and welcome. I did have a mechanic lined up to look at it with me, but that fell through. I'll try to find another. Definitely going at this with eyes wide open. The wear and sharpness of the sprockets tells me something isn't lining up with the hour meter, or it was run hard and neglected.
Sawyer, I priced sprockets at $300/pair, and adjusters at $880/pair (or seal kit at $40/pr if lucky). If just that, I will consider hard a purchase. If more than that, I'll get a hard price before proceeding.
I'd prefer a JD710 backhoe, but more than 2x as expensive. Also would like a 18-20k weight excavator, but again expensive. I know if I make a mistake on this purchase, I'll be into it for a lot more than sale price.
Any thoughts of driving over the wood to smush it? Would be easier and less time consuming that burning all of it. Seems reasonable to me, but not wanting to damage something underneath. Thanks.
John

/ JD 455E crawler loader buying questions
4717570_0_JzE6Bq_l.jpeg

/ JD 455E crawler loader buying questions #7  
IF the sprockets are that bad, you are going to need a lot more than sprockets! And that money will starting up fast...

SR

/ JD 455E crawler loader buying questions #8  
I agree with SR regarding the sprockets. My guess is you will need the chains too. The chains are what the sprockets drive. The pins in them can be turned 180° but my guess without seeing them is the wear on them would not be worth turning them.

While I am not a contractor I currently own a dozer and have owned 2 different ones over the last 22 years.

Driving over brush is not the best idea. Not only do you risk the chance of a stick or limb going into areas where you do not want them, like hydraulic lines, radiator etc, it does little to chew up the brush.

Even pushing it requires a very watchful eye. Pushing carefully into piles and burning is the best. Done quite a bit of that over the years.

/ JD 455E crawler loader buying questions #9  
Think I'd rent a machine from Black Swamp or Herc Rentals instead. What I do when I need a big machine. Sounds like a money pit to me.

/ JD 455E crawler loader buying questions #10  
Think I'd rent a machine from Black Swamp or Herc Rentals instead. What I do when I need a big machine. Sounds like a money pit to me.

RENT! RENT!! RENT!!!
Do NOT buy that POS !!!