jd 4600

/ jd 4600 #11  
Was that 6.9% financing? How many months? I'm curious about the new financing since I was at the end of a financing period and had to make a decision to wait for the new programs which might go up or down. Maybe I don't wanna know! :cool:

"Got alot to chew on,..." Ain't buying tractors fun? :cool:

It really is a tough decision. And its only worse if you consider Blue or Orange! :cool:

Good Luck!
Dan McCarty

/ jd 4600
The 6.9 was for up to 60 months then you could go longer for slightly higher % of course. Yes Iam really leaning towards the 4700 just cause of creature comforts but the 5105 in 4wd is no slouch.. I like the hydro but do not believe it's for me, even though the money is right on it.
Dan are you thinking of selling yours?

/ jd 4600 #13  
Thanks for the info John.

My rate was in the 8-9% range for 84 months or something like that. Its amazing that I spent all that time analyzing every cent and not even three months later I can't remember the rate! :cool: Maturity Moment I guess....

Speaking of financing. One of my plans is to eventually get a home equity loan to take over the loan from JD. It looks like I can write off the interest payments and more importantly the payments are less. Its also a bit easier to pay off. The origional plan was to get into the new house in 2000 and then get the equity loan after all the construction loan was rolled into a normal mortgage. But that did not happen.

We ended up getting the JD insurance as well which is only available with a JD loan. Or at least that is what I was told. I read my insurance policy and you could interpret the verbage to either cover the tractor or not. I read it that it did not cover the tractor. I asked the company and got different answers at different times. So I went with JD for piece of mine. This dang tractor is the most expensive thing I have ever bought besides a house and land. I want it covered.

But I made the right decision to buy when we did. I have gotten 25 days on the tractor since the end of October and gotten more work done than I could have dreamed possible...

So, no I'm not selling my tractor! :cool: You can't have mine! :cool: I still have to much work to do and heck its only got 120 hours on the it, the break in's not done yet! :cool:

Later...
Dan McCarty

/ jd 4600 #14  
Dan,
What did you find out about the JD insurance coverage on your tractor?

/ jd 4600 #15  
John,
Are they offering the 6.9% on the 5105? I have the 5205 version w/loader. I understand you can have the dealer adjust the injection pump and bring it up to a real 48 PTO HP (even beyond!). The 5105 is identical to the 5205 set up for 40 vs 48 hp (pto).

If the price you mentioned is for new, then it's great... you can never have enough horsepower or traction.... Actually that engine tweaked will do 53 PTO HP and run all day long!

The 521 loader will lift 2100 lbs vs the 460 loader @ 1700 lbs. The 4000 series catalog shows a "higher" lift capacity, but it's a misprint. Also on the 521 loader, you can change the position of the lift cylinders to increase lift to 2500 lbs and change the maximum lift ht (though not recommended for the 5n05 series... safety issue?)

I really love the shuttle shift on the 5n05 series, very nice and fast for loader work or quick forward and reverse motions. With 17.4 gpm hydraulic flow rate, the loader is FAST! FAST UP, FAST Dump,,, Did I mention the loader was F-a-s-t!

I plow a mall parking lot with my unit, put the loader bucket in "float" position, have a 8' Heavy duty rear blade (also in float position) and move literally ton's of snow fast. Did I mention FAST... Ooops getting carried away again... The MFWD could climb up a wall (if gravity wouldn't tip it over)

For only a couple thousand difference, I think it's a no brainer for the 5n05 unit. That tractor is a real sleeper and bargain for that price.

Good luck John!

/ jd 4600 #16  
JMIII,

Would you tell us the basis for this "misprint" claim?

<<<The 521 loader will lift 2100 lbs vs the 460 loader @ 1700 lbs. The 4000 series catalog shows a "higher" lift capacity, but it's a misprint.>>>

Thanks,
Larry

/ jd 4600
I asked about the loader ability since Dan had brought it up. Otherwise I would assume the 5105 would lift more. Here is what I was told true or not, I dont know. The dealer said the 5105 has the same loader as the (5210) and it will lift more then it is listed as doing. Reason being the front end on the 2wd 5105 is (lighter) then the 5210 so he said John Deere lowered the rating a bit. It sounded good to me, but Iam sure if it will pick it up and the back tires dont come off the ground most of us wont be weighing what were lifting. (At least I was thinking that cause I dont do it now) Any how I welcome anyone to shoot holes in that if that assement from the dealer is wrong.. I wont let this particular issue stop me either way.. Iam more concerned with getting the right tranny..

The interest on the 5000's was a bit higher but not to bad, depending on how you look at it. So you do not have a problem shifting from forward to reverse? I just didnt like having to completely let go of the wheel to shift..I know it would be do able but just curious. This is the only reson Iam leaning the 4700 way is for the power reverser..

/ jd 4600 #18  
Larry,
Both John Deere corporate and two dealers I had talked with, and other JD literature shows the 460 loader lift capacity rated @ 1705 lb. (775kg.). Also you can physically see the hydraulic cylinders are much smaller in size than the 521 series. The weight of the 460 loader subsystem is only 890 lbs against the 521 loader of about 14xx lbs.

I think it's a "don't ask, don't tell" thing.

I believe Dan has the 460 loader, maybe he can look in his 460 loader operator's manual in the back and see the charts with the ratings listed.

John III

/ jd 4600 #19  
John,

Either the PowrReverser or the SyncReverser transmission, you shift with your left hand...

The SyncReverser is "synchronized" in Forward & Reverse, as you're rolling in either direction, you push the clutch in and shift the lever in the opposite direction (shuddle). Very smooth, very quick, no grinding of gears, no damage. You develop a rhythm after a short time of using it.

Now the PowrReverser is the same except no "clutching" is required and even smoother... You do reach up at the dash to shift with PowerReverser vs. using the range shift lever located on your left side of the seat. The PowrReverser is certainly the ultimate for transmissions.(By the way, the 5000 Ten series offers the PowerReverser for about $2500 more)

You have to decide how much "tractor" you want... and what you main uses will be...
The 4700 is classified as a "compact". The 5n05 series is classified as a "utility". The 5n05 series is about 1000 lbs. more in total weight, then add another 1500 lbs. for the loader and put something on the rear for a counter balance ~ 800 lbs, you now have about 6800 lbs.

By the way John, what exactly are you going to use the new machine for? I noticed on other posts, you already have some JD compacts. When do you expect to make your purchase?

/ jd 4600 #20  
JohnIII,

I also have a 460 loader.
From the 460 Loader "Operators Manual", p.70-5:

Lift capacity - to max ht. at the pivot pin (the way most mfgrs. specs are given) = 2325 lbs.

- to max ht. "V" (at the front edge of the bucket,...as if you had chain-hooks welded at that point) = 1705 lbs.

- to 59 inches (at the pivot pin) = 2988 lbs.

- to 59 inches "X" (front edge of bucket) = 2383 lbs.

- etc., etc.

Pretty complete and detailed for a "misprint" don't you think /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif?

(I believe the confusion comes from mixing up the first 2 specs!)
(I have seen both figures shown in sales-brochures... my money's on the "Operator's Manual" - literally/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif ! )

Larry