jd 4600

/ jd 4600 #21  
<<<I think it's a "don't ask, don't tell" thing.>>>

I think it's a "dont ask (a dealer/salesman who doesn't know, because he), CAN'T tell (reliably) thing"!

/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Larry

/ jd 4600 #22  
Larry,

.... Just don't hit me in the head with your loader!

I didn't mean to start a loader war... honestly.

Maybe you can call JD corporate and ask them why they think it's a misprint as I was told, and then they show the "1705" ratings in other literature they print. Remember, I didn't print it... they did.

Larry, maybe we should have started a thread just on the 460 vs 521 loader... (Just kidding Larry)

I started out just explaining some differences in the 4700 and 5105... and you're wacking me with your loader bucket... Help!

John III

/ jd 4600 #23  
JohnIII,

Quitchercryin! Darn it, I'm tryin' to "whack" gently./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

As I said, I think the confusion (at every level, corporate/sales/whatever... they're all just people) arises from the two specs. being given in various pamphlets, etc. One time the "pivot-pin" spec... another the "V" spec., but they're both called simply "max lift", with only one shown, and no mention of the "pivot-pin"/"V" distinction. That gives the reader an impression that the "max lift" is 2325 or 1705 lbs., depending on which pamphlet he is looking at.

I don't imagine whoever is putting together the sales literature gave up a job in rocket science to do it. So I'm putting my confidence in the tech-manual writer who knows that bum dope can result in broken equipment/injured operators...both of which translate into liability lawsuits. Bottom line...it could cost the company MONEY,(and his bosses won't like that).

I appreciate your posts. I added mine in the interest of accuracy... not a war!

/ jd 4600 #24  
Larry,

Thanks for posting the manual info from the 460 book.

FEL specs was the most confusing thing for me to devine when trying to buy a tractor because of all the different specs that were given. I A S S U M E D that JD would measure the performance the same way across the FEL models. Comparing different brands was the hard part so I gave the FEL performance a little lower wieght to compensate for the spec issue.

Again I A S S U M E D that the "dumbing" down of the 521 on the 5n05 tractor was due to some hydraulic magic of some kind on the tractor. I can't imagine that the 521 FEL is any different on the 5n05's or the 5n10s. So there must be something on the 5n05's the prevents the full capacity from being used. I really wish that I had asked the sales people about this....

But it would not have changed my purchase because of the backhoe. The 7,000 for the JD 48 back hoe was a budget buster, going another 3,000 for the 5n05s back hoe would have been impossible. But I some times still dream of the 5000s.... :cool:

I guess we need someone with a 521 to tell us what is in their manual! Then we need someone with a 521 and a 5n05 to start lifting known wieghts and I'll do the same! Instead of the Nebraska Tractor Reports we will have the TBN Tractor Reports! :cool:

Later...
Dan McCarty

/ jd 4600 #25  
Roy,

I was told buy the SalesDude that the JD insurance covered everything on the tractor if something was stolen or vandalized which is my main worry. I asked if I drove it off a cliff did the insurance cover the tractor? He said yes. I'm not sure I believe that but I'm not planning on driving off a cliff. I really don't have any cliffs on the property but I do have som real nasty drop offs that would do a job on the tractor. I don't want to think what the tractor and the dropoff would do to me!

I really need to go read the JD policy to see the real coverage. On the other hand I'm not that concerned since my real worry is the stolen/vandalism issue. Our original financing plan was to get a home equity loan since it really lowered he payments but we did not want to have a problem building a house because of the tractor being tied to the house.

The loan officer has since told me that a home equity loan will not hurt the construction to perm loan. Since our house building project may be put off for a year or more I'm might go ahead an get the equity loan to improve cash flow. At that point I would have to get my homeowners policy to cover the tractor. JD's policy only covers the tractor when under a JD loan according to the SalesDude.

Usually I read policy's real carefully, as I did our homeowners regarding the tractor, but I did not read JDs. Kinda scares me.... 8-(

Hope this helps...
Dan McCarty

/ jd 4600
John thanks for the info, I think Iam still alittle confused on the loader capacities.. Doesnt make since to me..

Well I was considering buying now if the 4600 would of been for me, but since I dont feel totally comfortable with the hydro I will wait even though its almost 5000 saving on the way its rigged.. I have utility size deeres now but I want to upgrade to power steering etc. I also have a 580 bachoe but when i do small jobs that require a loader the 580 seems a bit over kill. We are in the planning stages of building a mobile home park, hoping to start by May. So this is the other reasoning behind getting another loader.. I plan on digging a pond and moving the dirt with the (new) loader.. I need the dirt to build pads ETC.. Anyway I will make a move by March. Iam also finishing out a house right now so the timing and the weather here dont include lots of tractor work.. I do have a couple of grinding jobs but in place where a tractor would do to much damage right now..

/ jd 4600 #27  
Dan,
You're more-than-welcome.

I didn't add, but maybe it won't hurt, that the 2325/1705 figures represent the SAME ability of the loader. It's just that the LOAD has a longer lever with which to resist the loader, when the load is applied at the front edge of the bucket.

That is also why the "pallet-fork" rating is even less (1320 lbs, I think)... the CG of a loaded pallet is even further foward of the pivot-pin, therefore even better-able to "resist" the loader's force. (If the forks were long enough, a chicken could light on the end and tip your tractor over/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif!)

These "less-capacity further-from-the-pivot" specifications are simply the result of physics, and would apply equally to ALL loaders!!

The only way to realistically compare loader capability is to be sure you are comparing "apples-to-apples". The pivot-pin spec. (JD460 = 2325 lbs.) is the one commonly given on "spec-sheets"...just check to be sure that IS what is being stated.

The more we discuss/investigate... the more we all learn. What a great list!

/ jd 4600 #28  
Dan,

Another thought: If you can find a dealer with the 5N05/5N10 tractor and/or 521 loader at his site, he probably has the manuals that come with them also.

If he's a "good-guy", he may let you look at them, and you can see what they say about the performance figures. If you explain what the questions are, he may be curious-enough to want to look for his own information, as well.

Can't hurt to ask... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif!

Larry

/ jd 4600 #29  
Larry,

If I can get a scanner hooked up, I will scan my 521 spec page and post it. However, they don't show all the nitty gritty spec's as the 460 page does.

/ jd 4600 #30  
Ok Guys, I've got the 521 spec's scanned, how do I send as an attachment or paste as a "photo" ?