JD 5055E

/ JD 5055E #1  

Dave2610D

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2610D
Why do I see so many JD 5055E tractors for sell? Is there something about them that I am missing on? Seen some great prices on that model with FED and Cab. Would appreciate some advise....looking at one pretty seriously but am spooked. Thanks for a great forum.

/ JD 5055E #2  
Deere dealers probably leased out a good many of that size as it is very popular in HP for so many applications. Then several buyers could not make the payments and let them go back to hit the secondary market? Ken Sweet

/ JD 5055E #3  
One of their most popular tractors. Not that many used ones around my area for sale that I see. 5075 is probably the most popular size around here.

/ JD 5055E #4  
I have a JD 5055E. I like it and have had very few issues with it over the last 13 years. The primary issue with it is the cold weather starting sensor - it causes starting issues even in warm weather and unplugging fixes that for warm weather locations. I had another start issue and replaced the bolt that the ground cable was attached to - the original was very corroded after 13 years. Some folks have complained about the brakes, but I've not seen any issue with them. That's about it for complaints. All in all, a pretty good tractor.

If I were to do it over again, I would want a tractor that has a reverse speed slower than the forward speeds.

It is easy to add additional hydraulic ports (that are not JD specific add ons) I have a bank of 4 hydraulic spools mounted on the fender in addition to the ones at the back that came from the factory. After 13 years of sitting out in the weather it does not leak oil, although it only has a little over 1000 hours on it.

/ JD 5055E
One of their most popular tractors. Not that many used ones around my area for sale that I see. 5075 is probably the most popular size around here.
I notice that the 5’s are a shorter frame and somewhat concerning is it’s ability to be a stable tractor….ie, picking up with loaded bucket…Another thought is the engine size/HP on the 5055E I am considering, but cautiously…..am I’m splitting hairs?

/ JD 5055E #6  
I'm not sure about that. Mine is a 5090 which is a different frame than any of the smaller 5 series. I run that grapple loader in my avatar without rear ballast most of the time. But I do have loaded tires.

/ JD 5055E #7  
My 5220 is 3" longer and about 400 lbs lighter if tractordata is to be believed. No problem picking up 3000 lbs 8' off the ground with my loader which is about that loader's limit with about 1100 lb worth of backhoe counterweight on the 3pt. Slow speed, level ground mandatory and preferably mfwd engaged but it doesn't get tippy/scary

/ JD 5055E
I have a JD 5055E. I like it and have had very few issues with it over the last 13 years. The primary issue with it is the cold weather starting sensor - it causes starting issues even in warm weather and unplugging fixes that for warm weather locations. I had another start issue and replaced the bolt that the ground cable was attached to - the original was very corroded after 13 years. Some folks have complained about the brakes, but I've not seen any issue with them. That's about it for complaints. All in all, a pretty good tractor.

If I were to do it over again, I would want a tractor that has a reverse speed slower than the forward speeds.

It is easy to add additional hydraulic ports (that are not JD specific add ons) I have a bank of 4 hydraulic spools mounted on the fender in addition to the ones at the back that came from the factory. After 13 years of sitting out in the weather it does not leak oil, although it only has a little over 1000 hours on it.
I thought it had 3 reverse speeds? This is the type tractor that you can switch from forward to reverse on the steering column without clutching, correct?

/ JD 5055E #9  
I have a 2012 5065E 2WD open station Deere. It's great for what I use it for, but being 2WD, it has its limits. I can pick and haul up 5 1/2 foot round bales with it, which is it's main job. The loader bucket is too small to be of any real use. I have my 3 point auger on the rear, and it's been great for drilling fence posts. I've done some mowing with a 6 foot batwing, and it pulls it easily. I could put my 12 foot batwing on it, but I have another tractor with a cab for that mower. I don't think the gearing is great. I tend to keep it in the B range and drive in 2nd or 3rd most of the time. There isn't an ideal gear for most things. It's either too slow, or too fast. But that's minor. The parking brake/gear position is really nice. No other parking brake, just put the transmission in the Park position, and you can get off and open a gate. The clutch is very sensitive, and disengages/engages in the first inch of travel. I should probably adjust it, but I'm used to it as it is, but when other people drive it, they kind of freak out at how quickly it happens. I also don't care for the fuel tank being up behind the drivers seat. You have to stand on the lift arms to pour a 5 gallon container of fuel into it, which can be dangerous if you slip. All my other tractors have the fuel tank under the floor, so you can stand on the ground and fill them up.

/ JD 5055E
I have a 2012 5065E 2WD open station Deere. It's great for what I use it for, but being 2WD, it has its limits. I can pick and haul up 5 1/2 foot round bales with it, which is it's main job. The loader bucket is too small to be of any real use. I have my 3 point auger on the rear, and it's been great for drilling fence posts. I've done some mowing with a 6 foot batwing, and it pulls it easily. I could put my 12 foot batwing on it, but I have another tractor with a cab for that mower. I don't think the gearing is great. I tend to keep it in the B range and drive in 2nd or 3rd most of the time. There isn't an ideal gear for most things. It's either too slow, or too fast. But that's minor. The parking brake/gear position is really nice. No other parking brake, just put the transmission in the Park position, and you can get off and open a gate. The clutch is very sensitive, and disengages/engages in the first inch of travel. I should probably adjust it, but I'm used to it as it is, but when other people drive it, they kind of freak out at how quickly it happens. I also don't care for the fuel tank being up behind the drivers seat. You have to stand on the lift arms to pour a 5 gallon container of fuel into it, which can be dangerous if you slip. All my other tractors have the fuel tank under the floor, so you can stand on the ground and fill them up.
All very good points .