JD 5055E

/ JD 5055E #11  
I just noticed that I said that I have a 6 foot batwing. That’s not correct. It’s a 6 foot bush hog. The 12 foot mower is a batwing.

/ JD 5055E #12  
I thought it had 3 reverse speeds? This is the type tractor that you can switch from forward to reverse on the steering column without clutching, correct?
No. Mine has 2 gear shift levers on the floor. On the left is ABC, on the right is R123 & park. There are 3 reverse gears, one for each of the ABC ranges and all of them are faster than the 123 forward speeds in the same range.

I don't think the gearing is great. I tend to keep it in the B range and drive in 2nd or 3rd most of the time. There isn't an ideal gear for most things. It's either too slow, or too fast. But that's minor. The parking brake/gear position is really nice. No other parking brake, just put the transmission in the Park position, and you can get off and open a gate.
I'll agree with this. The gear I use is typically one of the A ranges because of the terrain.

/ JD 5055E #13  
That's a sync shuttle transmission. I had one in my 5310. I used B3 and C1 for most everything that I did with it.

/ JD 5055E #14  
I have a 5055D 2WD. My understanding is all of the engine blocks and pistons are all the same on the 5045-5075 tractors,, but different injectors and injector pumps. The trans on the 5055D has a high/low range and 4 forward gears and 1 reverse gear. Mine pulls a medium duty 7' bushhog and the loader picks up pretty much what ever I decide to try and lift. I always have the bush hog or the heavy duty 7' boxblade on the back when lifting and the rears are filled. My engine doesn't require DEF......;)

/ JD 5055E #15  
Deere dealers probably leased out a good many of that size as it is very popular in HP for so many applications.

I agree with this. Lots of these tractors are advertised as lease returns.
There is a dealer about 12 hours away who advertises these every year as lease returns. If I find a second reason to go out that way, I plan to stop in and check them out.

/ JD 5055E #16  
A friend has a few of the E tractors, in several hp and some 4x4. He loaned me the 70hp 4x4 when one of mine had spooge in the tank. I liked it for the disc mower conditioner I was running. I found it pretty fast on the road, too. I like that. He says the E tractors are "gutless".

/ JD 5055E #17  
I have a JD 5055E. I like it and have had very few issues with it over the last 13 years. The primary issue with it is the cold weather starting sensor - it causes starting issues even in warm weather and unplugging fixes that for warm weather locations. I had another start issue and replaced the bolt that the ground cable was attached to - the original was very corroded after 13 years. Some folks have complained about the brakes, but I've not seen any issue with them. That's about it for complaints. All in all, a pretty good tractor.

If I were to do it over again, I would want a tractor that has a reverse speed slower than the forward speeds.

It is easy to add additional hydraulic ports (that are not JD specific add ons) I have a bank of 4 hydraulic spools mounted on the fender in addition to the ones at the back that came from the factory. After 13 years of sitting out in the weather it does not leak oil, although it only has a little over 1000 hours on it.
I agree with your comments. I have had my 5045E 4x4 about as long as you. I bought it Dec 2012 and only have a little over 300 hrs on it. At about 300 hrs, I had the same cold start valve failure that's those models are apparently notorious for. I spent hours tracing wiring and checking fuses before arriving at the conclusion it was that cold start sensor - very frustrating. My farming partner has a newer 5075E that had the same problem. When I called the local JD dealer and described the problem, the seasoned parts guy said, "I know what you need and have one in my hand." I'd advise keeping one on hand because you're going to need it. I also had a starter armature failure only a few hours of operation afterwards. I had a local shop replace the armature. Shortly afterwards, the tractor wouldn't start again and a glow plug like icon appeared on the instrument panel when I tried to crank it. Turns out that something (probably a tree branch) dislodged the safety switch plug under the shifter that prevents starting except when the tractor is in park. I plugged it back in and voila, it started.

/ JD 5055E
I agree with this. Lots of these tractors are advertised as lease returns.
There is a dealer about 12 hours away who advertises these every year as lease returns. If I find a second reason to go out that way, I plan to stop in and check them out.
Let us know what you find out. Thank you for your post.