JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install

/ JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install
I liked the remote idea too, could you post more info on it?

Here you go I picked mine up at Ace Hardware

Lamson Outdoor Wireless Switch (Hw2190) - Remote Switches / Receivers - Ace Hardware

...I am also curious why you thought you would need a charge maintainer with an AGM battery....

Currently I store the JD outside under our covered patio- that is not going to last to long- My wifes favorite color is green- BUT everything has its place. I have been told a tractor outside the kitchen window- (when we have listed our home with a realtor)- is not in its place ( I dont get some people :D) I also have been told in no uncertain terms that my wife will not give up her half of the garage for the JD. Appearently she likes to keep her car indoors---jeesh

Anyway I wanted to keep the battery in top condition as I do not use the tractor everyday or every week right now. We have seen a low of -31F this winter already - I like to keep my batts on charge- my camper, boat, snowmobile trailer, garden tractor all are on maintainers.

Last edited:
   / JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install #12  
Trails,

I am watching this thread to observe your success with the wireless switch.

I have been planning to install both a block heater, a new battery (Odyssey PC1200MJ) and an onboard charger (Minn Kota MK 106).

I read a number of reviews re. the Lamson/Carlon switch, and it seems to have a short life span. It would be the perfect solution for me; I hope it works well for you.

Trails,

I am watching this thread to observe your success with the wireless switch.

I have been planning to install both a block heater, a new battery (Odyssey PC1200MJ) and an onboard charger (Minn Kota MK 106).

I read a number of reviews re. the Lamson/Carlon switch, and it seems to have a short life span. It would be the perfect solution for me; I hope it works well for you.

So far so good-not any problems what so ever. I left the block heater plugged in for about 24 hours. The top of the engine was warm to the touch at -10F outside ;)

/ JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install #14  
Trails,

I like the attention to detail in your installation (instead of just cobbling it together). How many amps total (both the charger and heater) are you drawing through the wireless switch?

Thanks

Trails,

I like the attention to detail in your installation (instead of just cobbling it together). How many amps total (both the charger and heater) are you drawing through the wireless switch?

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment :cool: I only have the heater on the wireless switch- I have both the heater and maintainer on a three way power block with the illuminated end.
Amazon.com: Woods 2882 2-Feet 15-AMP/125-Volt 12/3-STW Yellow Jacket Power Block Outdoor Extension Cord: Home Improvement

The female end of the wireless swich is connected to the heater and male end is connected to the power block. Does that help? I have not tested the amperage of the heater.

..........I have been planning to install both a block heater, a new battery (Odyssey PC1200MJ) and an onboard charger (Minn Kota MK 106).......

Nice choice in the battery :D Have you considered a 3 stage maintainer- rather than a 2 stage such as the Minn Kota MK 106??

/ JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install #17  
Nice choice in the battery :D Have you considered a 3 stage maintainer- rather than a 2 stage such as the Minn Kota MK 106??

I would second the 3 stage charger and vote for the Odyssey battery as well. I also think the Odyssey battery will hold its charge for 6 months no problem in the sub zero temperatures with very little discharge, one of their strong points.

I have almost 30 batteries in all of my equipment to maintain, and without a doubt the Oddysey and /or Die Hard Platinum batteries are the most dependable. I thought I would buy Optimas' and save some money but over time 4 out of 6 failed prematurely, I have had better results from Everstarts from Walmart. I can't afford to put Odyssey batteries in everything I own but I use them in everything where dependability, capacity and durability are important and use the WalMart Max Marine and Cranking batteries in the rest.

/ JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install #18  
Trails,

Okay, that makes sense re. the switch just for the heater.

My bad research on the charger...I was looking at the Mk110pc and somehow cut and pasted the 106. Yes, definitely 3 stage, and it has automatic temperature compensation.

Steve (and Trails),

I first used an Odyssey bat on my ATV, and was impressed with the specs and performance. I don't have 30 batts, so it is more cost defensible.

My biggest problem is finding a good location for the charger on the L5030 (Kubota). Anywhere near the batt is too crowded; I think that when Kubota designed the engine compartment there were no other additions predicted. I want a clean setup with heater and charger plugs in close proximity, so I think that I will have to brainstorm this a little. I know that I can extend the lead from the charger, so a more distant mount is feasible. Where is the question.

.... How many amps total (both the charger and heater) are you drawing through the wireless switch? Thanks

According to my Kill A Watt- the heater draws between 3.6 and 3.5 amps at about 440 watts,the maintainer draws about 0.18 amps on the maintance mode or 1.5 amps on the charge mode.

So through the wireless switch about 3.5 amps,the switch is rated at 15 amps and 1560 watts. Total amperage through the 3 way power block is only about 5.0 amps or 1/3 of the rated capacity.

........My bad research on the charger...I was looking at the Mk110pc and somehow cut and pasted the 106. Yes, definitely 3 stage, and it has automatic temperature compensation.....

That is a real nice maintainer- now you have me thinking that maybe I should update mine to a 3 stage :p

This unit is fairly large 10X7X4 (roughly) so I would need to give this some thought as well.

Most tractors are lacking space for a tool box- so this could be a challenge :)