JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install

/ JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install #21  
I am not a battery expert, but from what I understand, two issues of charging importance are "float" capability instead of a constant set charge rate, and temperature feedback to attenuate the delivered charge.

Minn Kota's website is poor in terms of specification information. The MK 110PC is there new release and its not even listed on their website. I also could not find any specs on the chargers to determine power input consumption.

A number of reviews give Minn Kota good reviews for quality and reliability. I need to call them and see if they can email a product info dump.

Since the Minn Kota product is marine rate, I am unafraid to do a semi-external mount and run a long charging lead. I need to stand next to the tractor for an hour and imagineer a good spot.

/ JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install
After reading the specifcations on the Minn Kota website- I noticed they state the following as this relates to the Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC) mode of this type of maintainer.

"The temperature of a battery affects its ability to take a charge. All lead acid batteries need to be pushed to their "gassing threshold" in order to become fully charged"

Are AGM batteries considered Lead Acid Batteries :confused: Something tells me no-- maybe I'm wrong????

So perhaps the ATC mode is not needed with a AGM type battery ??

I believe most maintainers will hit the "float" stage- I understand the difference between a 2 and 3 stage is the " absorbtion" mode- which helps de-sulfate the battery. This is a leading cause of pre-mature battery failure- or so they say. I'm no expert as well- I have researched maintainers and AGM batteries.

/ JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install #23  
AGM batteries are still lead acid but the acid is contained in the mat between the plates whether in stacks or spiral wrapped like the Optimas.

I use a three stage three bank 30 amp charger on my boat and trolling motor and this recharges quickly and is hooked up full time to the Oddysey batteries. Never a glich:D

You know for a starting battery application where the battery in most cases is fully charged when you shut down the tractor a good two stage should work. There is not alot of point in worrying about a three stage charger when the Deere charging system isn't even close to this in its use. Oddysey had a 6 amp charger for maintainance that is smaller and less costly on their website for about $90.

/ JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install #24  
Steve & Trails,

Like Steve said, from what I have read AGM are "lead/acid", but known as "starved electrolyte" types. They also benefit from float type chargers.

I looked at the Odyssey site Odyssey batteries | ACI Chargers
and they list a charger called the BCSC 7a giving "12 Volts, 7 Amp Constant Current (Equivalent to 14 Amp tapered charger in charging time)"

Apparently they rebrand the charger from a company called ACI Home
their model is the 1214CC and the specs match exactly. This charger gives some possibilities due to the size but I will still have to call them about exposure issues under the hood of a tractor. (The water/weatherproof feature of Minn Kota was a significant attribute.)

/ JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install #25  
RFB,

I don't have a charger on my tractors as I haven't had the need. It may be just as simple though to install a 12v plug and mating flush connector on the tractor for easy plug in. You could then leave the charger in the garage or on the seat. You should be able to wire it up to plug in a cigarette lighter socket if it is 10 amps or below.

Heat is a killer for electronics at any rate watch where you put it.

/ JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install #26  
Steve,

But that would never satisfy my obsessive/compulsive lower colonic retentiveness. Even though I run the tractor hard, I am extremely detail oriented; in other words, I am one of those "tractor waxers".

Even though I use it hard, I still maintain it with aircraft level preventive maintenance. (Just today, while researching a location for a charger, I saw a small spot of rust on the muffler (probably from water sitting after I wash the tractor engine). Out comes the wire brush and rust conversion spray.

My goal is to have the heater and charger power plugs loomed and proximate, on a wireless remote ala Trails setup, so when I get up at
0 dark:thirty to plow 4 miles of road in a blinding snowstorm I can hit the button while making coffee and be ready to launch most skosh. (I know, run on sentence.)

But please don't stop the ideas; it keeps my brain working.

/ JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install #27  
RFB,

If that is the case I would find the coolest spot to mount a charger and then try Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops and ByOwnerElectronics to find a good charger that would fit the space available. All of these stores will have weatherproof marine chargers in different shapes and sizes.

/ JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install #28  
The whole thing was a world of help for me. I've been debating putting one on my 790. And the battery mantainer was a great idea!:thumbsup:

/ JD 790 Battery,Maintainer & Block Heater Install #29  
Absolutely great post, literally inspirational as I've had issues with my 790 and didn't know where to start. Curious if you run any additional power appliances or accessories on your tractor? Reason being I was thinking of an electric sander and was going to go yellow top battery. Look forward to your and others comments. Thanks again for posting this as well as pics!