JD Parts - Do you pay list?

/ JD Parts - Do you pay list?
Maybe the new owners now have to pay their electric bills, when the previous owners just used their inheritence to gift your needs. They probably like eating more than $1.00 BK Jr. for lunch and dinner moreso than the other owner. If they have some kids, they might now want them to go to college and enjoy life a bit more. Could it be that JD now wants them to use computers rather than those old boxes of file cards? The old owners probably forgot to to tell them about your big purchases. Maybe you should remind them and fill out an orderor than $250K cotton picker.
-----

I did talk to the GM of the dealership. Says their policy is everybody pays the same.

That is a stupid policy.

I'd suggest you be a little less hard on the equipment and lower your parts budget. I personnally am just glad there are JD dealers around me so I pay without complaining.
-----

Who said I was hard on my equipment?

When the American companies are gone and you need Chinese or Korean parts and N.Korea decides to cut you off from the supply, even a few horses are going to be hard to come by....
-----

I think you guys are missing the point.

I am a loyal customer to this dealership. I buy everything I can from them - even windshield wipers for my tractors that I could buy at Autozone because I want them to be in business.

When a part lists for $245 and another John Deere dealer will let me have it for $180 shipped to my house. Don't you think I should take notice?

If the new owners want to not take care of their loyal customers - they can live and die on price. They aren't the only game around.

I know in my business - we take extra good care of our good customers.

D.

Maybe the new owners now have to pay their electric bills, when the previous owners just used their inheritence to gift your needs. They probably like eating more than $1.00 BK Jr. for lunch and dinner moreso than the other owner. If they have some kids, they might now want them to go to college and enjoy life a bit more. Could it be that JD now wants them to use computers rather than those old boxes of file cards? The old owners probably forgot to to tell them about your big purchases. Maybe you should remind them and fill out an orderor than $250K cotton picker.

I'd suggest you be a little less hard on the equipment and lower your parts budget. I personnally am just glad there are JD dealers around me so I pay without complaining.

When the American companies are gone and you need Chinese or Korean parts and N.Korea decides to cut you off from the supply, even a few horses are going to be hard to come by....

Also - I am not hard on my equipment. I spent $1Ks on just oil and filters. Cabin air filters, engine oil, hydraulic,etc.

Also - look on your JD stuff - plenty of Chinese parts.

D.

If that's the 'deal' it won't be long before there are new owners once again. Good will is very important in business.
Vince

You got that right - the parts manager says they parts volume has dropped off the chart.

D.

They have to keep the doors open, and I'm glad that the dealer I have has managed to do that. I used to get a discount, but that was when I was working for the dealer part time. I too was disappointed to not continue that arrangement, but figure I want them to stay in business.
For those who get the discounts, someone else has to cover that cost and pay the difference. So what is "fair" ??

And how does one get parts through mail ordering?

Lots of dealers out there willing to mail you parts.

I call or e-mail them with a parts list.

jdparts.com - can look up all the parts. It is easier and quicker for me to look them up.

D.

This is half the reason I bought a 30 year old JD tractor instead of a new one. Too many things to break that I can't fix on the new ones.

Still gotta buy parts.

D.

/ JD Parts - Do you pay list? #16  
I have always gotten a discount on parts at my dealer. Well They got bought and I noticed now that I am paying JD list for parts. I asked what the deal is and they told me that is the deal - everybody pays list.

How do you even know what list price IS? The JDParts site lists prices that
even my very expensive local dealer can beat, and I certainly get no
discounts.

Well, I have given up on my local sources. I give my JD parts biz now to a
large JD dealer in Illinois who wants to be competitive. The brick-and-
mortar stores are there to service those who want to drive in (twice!)
and talk to a person face-to-face. Mine still has to order whatever I
want.

It is worse with Kubota: the locals mark UP all prices over list (except
oil and filters). I have long since given that biz to large eastern or
midwestern Kubota dealers that give me LIST prices.

How do you even know what list price IS? The JDParts site lists prices that
even my very expensive local dealer can beat, and I certainly get no
discounts.

Well, I have given up on my local sources. I give my JD parts biz now to a
large JD dealer in Illinois who wants to be competitive. The brick-and-
mortar stores are there to service those who want to drive in (twice!)
and talk to a person face-to-face. Mine still has to order whatever I
want.

It is worse with Kubota: the locals mark UP all prices over list (except
oil and filters). I have long since given that biz to large eastern or
midwestern Kubota dealers that give me LIST prices.

I am going off jdpart.com pricing as retail pricing.

They used to beat that pricing all the time. Now they are charging the same.

I am about to put a large order in with a dealer in Illinois also

Then they can ship instead of me having to take two trips and pay too much

D.

/ JD Parts - Do you pay list? #18  
I am going off jdpart.com pricing as retail pricing.

They used to beat that pricing all the time. Now they are charging the same.

I am about to put a large order in with a dealer in Illinois also

Then they can ship instead of me having to take two trips and pay too much

D.

All the dealers around here charge JDParts list price and that's what I've been paying.

/ JD Parts - Do you pay list? #19  
Since there's really no competitive alternative up here - I've been paying list for year's - and always grateful whenever they "cut me a break" and don't tack on some outrageous charge for shipping...

Nah, all the talk about "loyalty" and "taking care of the good customers" is just talk - IMO.

Wasn't it the Chinese philosopher Sun Tzao (sp) that said "business is war". Even in war; you cut the other guy some slack every now and then...

I needed a track skid-steer for a week rental just recently. Called a couple of rental places. My JD guy was $150 higher than the other JD guy. I want to keep my guys around; in business, etc, etc. Couple of tracked SS's on the line and I figured they'd give me the cab model - nope. I drive by over the week and the cab model just sitting there. Bring the rental back and another guy shows up with the cab model on a day rental.

Who's gonna get my next rental and guess who I'm gonna buy my next set of filters from... It's ALL about the money! Anybody says differently is trying to blow smoke up your skirt!

AKfish

/ JD Parts - Do you pay list? #20  
Nah, all the talk about "loyalty" and "taking care of the good customers" is just talk - IMO.
AKfish

Not true AK, I was just talking to my dealer who really takes care of his good customers (like me!). You go in with an attitude and nickel and dime him you don't get a good deal, if you break it and it's a week out of warranty you're stuck. If you go in and say, "hey, make your money but don't screw me" like I do you get the best of everything and when your machine is out of warranty a month he works in your favor.

I don't shop for price I shop for a guy who I can deal with and that's what I got. In the long run I save more than the guy who fights for every dollar like the dealer isn't in business and doesn't have mouths to feed.
I just did a trade, my guy gave me max on my stuff and a good discount on the new stuff.

Rob