JD Parts - Do you pay list?

/ JD Parts - Do you pay list? #21  
Not true AK, I was just talking to my dealer who really takes care of his good customers (like me!). You go in with an attitude and nickel and dime him you don't get a good deal, if you break it and it's a week out of warranty you're stuck. If you go in and say, "hey, make your money but don't screw me" like I do you get the best of everything and when your machine is out of warranty a month he works in your favor.

I don't shop for price I shop for a guy who I can deal with and that's what I got. In the long run I save more than the guy who fights for every dollar like the dealer isn't in business and doesn't have mouths to feed.
I just did a trade, my guy gave me max on my stuff and a good discount on the new stuff.

Rob

That song plays better in a place with alot of different bars to pull a stool up, to!

(If you don't shop - how do you know - how well he's really "takin' care" of you...?)

I've never tried to nickel and dime anybody... People have - more or less - the very same demands in their lives that I do. I recognize that.

But... when you've dealt with the same folk's for over a decade and over that time; you've come to realize that the "relationship" only differs by the dollar amount that they're trying to wring outta your hide!

AKfish

/ JD Parts - Do you pay list? #22  
(If you don't shop - how do you know - how well he's really "takin' care" of you...?)

AKfish

I know list price and I know what percentage the dealer can take off. Figure 10 to 15% off list.

When you go to buy something do you know the price of it before hand? Or do you just go in with a bandana over your eyes and straw coming out your ears?

/ JD Parts - Do you pay list? #23  
Lots of dealers out there willing to mail you parts.

That is very true...BUT, shipping on something like the rear glass I broke :( woulda cost me approx the same as the glass itself!

I am about to put a large order in with a dealer in Illinois also

Interesting post thus far...I been paying what I pay and been keeping my mouth shut...yeah I thought I could/should get a deal as well so I e-mailed a large dealer in IL, price quote came in at the same price as I was quoted at my dealer. So one of two things is happening...
A) My "List" price is a decent price -OR-
B) The dealer in IL didnt discount or is using the same discount I already get locally. For the $1,200.00 order in parts I had quoted it ended up being the same price....and I have the ability to get service/help & returns locally.

This post came up on a "Real Farm" forum I frequent...and it boiled down to the "whole picture". Does your dealer charge you 60.00 an hour for phone help or when you show up asking for help? Etc... looking at the whole picture, I dont know how much more i could save...now if you can find a place thats 50% cheaper then I pay now...well, then I need to recalculate everything :laughing:

On consumables like oil & filters, I try to forecast and stock what I need when they come on sale. Every spring at the open house its 10% off everything...and from time to time there are promotions on certian items.

/ JD Parts - Do you pay list? #24  
Comments?

D.

The new owner has the right to charge whatever he wants and you have the right to take your business elsewhere if you don't like it. That's what freedom of choice is all about.

/ JD Parts - Do you pay list? #25  
I know list price and I know what percentage the dealer can take off. Figure 10 to 15% off list.

When you go to buy something do you know the price of it before hand? Or do you just go in with a bandana over your eyes and straw coming out your ears?

Rob,

I've got a number of detailed posts here on TBN regarding my "nationwide" search for a new tractor. The % off MSRP varies widely by region. Long and short - the price difference for a new JD 110 FOB Seattle was $6,000 between my local dealer and a lower 48 dealer. The lower 48 dealer was more than 24% off - the local guy was 7%.

I offered to split the difference... what do you suppose the response was? So much for "loyality"...

I do my homework - that's why I know the one dealer was $150 higher than the other for the tracked SS. But, I gave my business to the higher priced guys 'cause I want to support them more than the other dealership. And, I did not try to "deal" or nickel and dime 'em for a cut on the rate.

To my chagrin... what do I get when I pick up the machine - an open cab model. The other rental was less money and a cab model. They held the cab on the line and rented it out by the day (for more money) and stuck me with the open model for a week.

What I have found... is that "absence makes the heart grow fonder"! When I take my business elsewhere for a couple of months - those guys are all SMILES when I show up again! Go figure!

AKfish

/ JD Parts - Do you pay list? #26  
AK,
I know what you're saying. I stay in my area for a tractor. If there are two dealers I might send one a request for an estimate through the Deere sight to see what the disparity is but that's as far as I need to go. If I'm trusting a dealer and he screws me he loses my business.

Let the guy know how you feel and that it will cost him when it comes down to buying a new machine.

I don't buy from a dealer three states away because JD has a "Migrating tractor policy" that states tractors are only waranteed within a certain area. Buy a tractor from dealer 'A' 500 miles away and you buy an orphan. Now you blow a front axel. Waht do you do? Mail it back to the guy three states away? So what's it worth to buy it locally? A lot.

Rob

/ JD Parts - Do you pay list? #27  
I don't buy from a dealer three states away because JD has a "Migrating tractor policy" that states tractors are only waranteed within a certain area. Buy a tractor from dealer 'A' 500 miles away and you buy an orphan. Now you blow a front axel. Waht do you do? Mail it back to the guy three states away? So what's it worth to buy it locally? A lot.

Rob

I did notice that warranty change... Deere's response to the Internet???

That was not the situation when I bought in '08.

AKfish

/ JD Parts - Do you pay list? #28  
I did notice that warranty change... Deere's response to the Internet???

That was not the situation when I bought in '08.

AKfish

I found it by accident in small print on Deere's site. Maybe it keeps the small potato guy from going under but people should be aware of it. I removed Tractor House from my favorite list after I read it.
It kinda kills some of these tractor sales places that push them out the door cheap.

Rob

/ JD Parts - Do you pay list?
Not true AK, I was just talking to my dealer who really takes care of his good customers (like me!). You go in with an attitude and nickel and dime him you don't get a good deal, if you break it and it's a week out of warranty you're stuck. If you go in and say, "hey, make your money but don't screw me" like I do you get the best of everything and when your machine is out of warranty a month he works in your favor.

I don't shop for price I shop for a guy who I can deal with and that's what I got. In the long run I save more than the guy who fights for every dollar like the dealer isn't in business and doesn't have mouths to feed.
I just did a trade, my guy gave me max on my stuff and a good discount on the new stuff.

Rob

I am all about NOT nickel and dimming them. I met with the GM about it. We will see what happens, but I think I will be shopping my business locally and remotely.

D.

/ JD Parts - Do you pay list? #30  
A few years ago, I got a 10% break on parts. My small dealer now charges list price. Their is a large dealer with 20 locatations and they charge list plus 10%. Still dealing with the small dealer. JC