JD Zero Turn Reviews

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #1  

rmonio

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4600, JD B
I’m looking for some good reviews or threads on JD Zero Turn mowers. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Bob

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #2  
Well, I've had my Z355E for a couple of years now. It's been flawless for what I need.

What I mean by that is that it's not 'commercial' and that I need to keep my mouth firmly shut due to rough ground 'jarring' = the suspension simply isn't up to those standards. I purposely bought it due to it not having a ROPS for low hanging tree limbs.

I did purchase the accessory 'rear bumper/towing package' (self installed). The bumper has come in handy when backing. Although I haven't needed to tow anything yet, I can.

It has started & run first time every time. I have yet to change the oil (getting close though), any belts or the blades.

I'm very happy with it, especially the speed with which I can now mow, after I became skilled with the two-handle steering.

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #3  
I've owned several JD ZTs and though I sold the others I still have my original 717A. When I got rid of my las 910A I bought a Kubota 1211 diesel. I really like that machine much better than any of the Deeres I've owned. Every zero turn I've ever owned has had a mulching kit on it. I wouldn't own one without it.

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #4  
I'm the opposite on the mulching kit. I prefer the highest lift blades I can find. I want to lift the grass as much as possible and throw the clippings as far as possible. I used to have a lawn service and have had many different brands of mowers. I have found that the JD's have the best cut for the grass around here. I only really have experience with the commercial machines, I would not hesitate to purchase one if I were in the market.

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews
Thank you for all of the responses! Much appreciated.

I am looking at the commercial units - primarily the M series (not R - I don’t need Diesel). Yes, they are expensive - but the value is there for sure. The extra steel in the deck, the upgraded seat, and the ROPS for lights, etc. All things I’m interested in.

I also like the raise/lower of the deck button on the drive handle and the mulching capability is interesting. Does the mulching kit do a good job?

I also thought about getting the bumpers for the deck (they are extra and have to be put on by yourself) to protect it from being hit.

-Bob

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #7  
Mulching kits seem to be personal preference. I don't like them but I also know people who like them so much the have them put on before they take delivery from the dealer. I also prefer the foot lever for deck raise. I use it to lift over bumps that I know will scalp, or if i see gravel in the lawn etc. My Commercial JD had round bar on the sides of the deck. It looks like the 9 series has the bumpers on the sides already. I would get the 9 series. I only have experience with the 7 iron decks and they are really good.

I hit a bunch of stuff with my deck and never had an issue. I was in a tight back yard with a slope going toward the privacy fence, hit one of the 4x4 posts with the deck and knocked about a 2" gash in the post. Couldn't even tell where it had hit the deck...

I had an electric foot switch operated version of a chute blocker like this LINK. It's a compromise for a mulch kit. You can side discharge in the open areas and close down the chute next to something you don't want to blow grass clippings on, flower beds, driveway, etc. It doesn't mulch the grass so you do end up with a bit of a line when you lower it but it's not bad.

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews
Thanks for your feedback. I have more and more leaves in my yard yearly and I also get a bit of unregular growth of the grass that (we live on a hobby farm) means more clippings. I’d prefer to have something that mulches and helps grind that stuff up. I do plan to fertilize this year and i know that will have an impact on the grass growth too.

Is there a site that shows the full list of options for the Z models? (I heard about 3-point and other items..).

Thanks!

-Bob

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #9  
I've had my JD 530R for several years, with no trouble. The Kaw motor runs great, and the roll bar folds down. The "R" level on JD's gets you a better seat, lights, foot rests, and more. I don't use the "comfort track" or whatever they call the sliding seat track. Bumpy ride? yes, but not too bad. 54" deck and cuts perfect. It cost a bit over $5k, but I like it.

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #10  
I can't comment on the JD zeros specifically, but here's my 2 cents on some of your concerns...
I prefer a chute blocker to full blown mulching decks. Many prefer mulching decks, but I find them limiting when mowing thick and / or high grass. With the chute blocker down and (Gator) mulching blades I can grind up leaves to dust, but I do have to go over the windrow to finish it off.
If I were looking at a gas powered zero I would definitely want a Kawasaki engine. Happy shopping!