JD Zero Turn Reviews

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #11  
I 2nd the Kawasaki. Although the Briggs Vanguard Big Block 36hp I have has been just as trouble free so far.

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #12  
I am looking at the commercial units - primarily the M series (not R - I don’t need Diesel). Yes, they are expensive - but the value is there for sure. The extra steel in the deck, the upgraded seat, and the ROPS for lights, etc. All things I’m interested in.

I also like the raise/lower of the deck button on the drive handle and the mulching capability is interesting. Does the mulching kit do a good job?

I also thought about getting the bumpers for the deck (they are extra and have to be put on by yourself) to protect it from being hit.

-Bob

If you want commercial you need to look at the Z900 units. And just so you know -- the "R" series doesn't mean diesel, they come in gas too. It's only the Z994 and Z997 that are diesel. As a matter of fact if you want the raise/lower button on the drive handle you MUST get the R series, and they come with the better seat suspension too (although those can be added to an M series later). The drive handles also have a "formed" rubber shape to them instead of just round bars with some foam on them.

I have a Z960R with MOD (Mulch on Demand) deck and it is a BEAST. 33hp Kawasaki engine, electric PTO and deck lift (that's what the button on the drive bar does). The MOD deck works like a regular side-discharge until you flip the lever, then when you engage it the mower turns into a true mulcher (it doesn't just cover the blowout chute -- there are curved plates under the deck that also move to "surround" each blade). I run Gator blades and they make a good bit of wind noise but it cuts everything I have thrown at it. I have noticed that sometimes it leaves windrows when in mulching mode depending on how high/thick the grass is, but most full-time mulching decks will do this too.

Spend some time looking around the Deere site then go look for a used one. Right now is a great time to shop since many commercial operators trade their units in at the end of the season. Some of them can be junk, but many that I have seen get taken care of during the mowing season since the operators depend on them. Then every few years they trade on new ones.

TONS of info and links on this page (if you scroll down about halfway you can see all the models listed with specs to compare):

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews
Thanks. I’ll review those. It looks like a R model is the way to go over the M, though. Do all models have their own PTO, too?

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #14  
I'm a mulcher. I have been since 2000 and 4 ZTs. I still have my original Z717A with a 48" mulching deck. It still gets used everytime I curt grass. I've always been green and when I bought my last mower I was looking 994/997 but JD didn't have a deck raise that you could bump raise and lower to cut over roots. The deck only raises all the way up then back down when you release the button. Long story short I happened across Kubota 1211. The deck raise is controlled by 2 foot pedals. You can bump stop it as well. That's a must with 38 Live Oak trees and bad knees. Diesel, no DPF and no wheel motors. I've had it 2 seasons and so far it's the best ZT I've ever used. The mulcher will grind leaves like they were never there.

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #15  
Get yourself an air ride seat, you will thank me later.

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #17  
I have a z545R for 3 years now. been a great machine. the fuel injected engine has never missed a beat. I added Z glide front suspension on it , and it makes a huge difference in ride quality. It's been a solid machine. I used yo have a kubota zd25 I loved that machine as it had a suspension seat and tons of torque and fuel economy being a diesel. but the cut quality was never as nice as the deere's.

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #18  
I have a z545R for 3 years now. been a great machine. the fuel injected engine has never missed a beat. I added Z glide front suspension on it , and it makes a huge difference in ride quality. It's been a solid machine. I used yo have a kubota zd25 I loved that machine as it had a suspension seat and tons of torque and fuel economy being a diesel. but the cut quality was never as nice as the deere's.
I didn't know they made them for a Z545R. I've looked but can't find a link. Do you have a link?

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #19  
I'm a mulcher. I have been since 2000 and 4 ZTs. I still have my original Z717A with a 48" mulching deck. It still gets used everytime I curt grass. I've always been green and when I bought my last mower I was looking 994/997 but JD didn't have a deck raise that you could bump raise and lower to cut over roots. The deck only raises all the way up then back down when you release the button. Long story short I happened across Kubota 1211. The deck raise is controlled by 2 foot pedals. You can bump stop it as well. That's a must with 38 Live Oak trees and bad knees. Diesel, no DPF and no wheel motors. I've had it 2 seasons and so far it's the best ZT I've ever used. The mulcher will grind leaves like they were never there.

I don’t want to hi-jack the OP’s thread, but yeah I agree. Kubota makes an outstanding diesel zero turn. I don’t even bother looking at anything else, maybe a Ferris, but prolly not.

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #20  
Hay Dude
The question to answer is in the subject line. Was about a JD Zero Turn.