JD Zero Turn Reviews

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #21  
Hay Dude
The question to answer is in the subject line. Was about a JD Zero Turn.
How about this for a JD review then, JD ZTs are very good mowers. I've owned 3 of them since 2000 and still own my original one. They are probably the roughest riding mower I've ever been on. The pedal to lift the deck is torture especially with a bad knee. The electro lift is good but didn't fit my needs because it is all up or all down, I need to be able to bump stop it. They have the best gasoline engine there is on the market in my opinion and they have great decks. They are one if not the most expensive mowers on the market. They aren't even close to the best ZT out there.

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #22  
Hay Dude
The question to answer is in the subject line. Was about a JD Zero Turn.
OK THANKS!

This website has a nice collection of knowledgeable people. I have started many a thread where I was all set to buy brand X, but someone pointed out there might be a better brand alternative without being derogatory, argumentative or rude.

Just somethin to consider ;)

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #24  
I have a commercial Z945M Deere ZTR, it has Kohler fuel injection (no carbs for me thank you), 60" deck, Tweels, and flat proof caster tires. It's about three years old with 100 hours on the clock, it's been super dry in the Texas Hill Country so not a whole bunch of mowing called for.

It's extremely stable on a slope and with sharp blades you can mow very fast due to high tip speed. I've reduced my mowing time by 1/3rd compared to my old Gravely Z. The suspension seat is comfortable but I'm disappointed there wasn't an air ride seat option like my tractor has.

The fuel tank holds 11 gallons and there's only one fueling cap unlike the Kubotas with a tank on each side. If I'm mowing three foot tall Johnson grass it burns a gallon an hour or more. The tank is sized for an entire day of mowing.

I frequently adjust deck height and the manual deck adjustment is okay. Lowering the deck is easy, raising not so much.

Bottom line: Quality mower, easy maintenance, overall built like a tank. I highly recommend it.

However.... I'm very tired of lugging gas cans and I'll be trading it in on the diesel model. Seriously considering the "R" fancy pants model over the "M" since the "R" has push button deck height adjustment. I have a bulk diesel tank so fueling diesel things is easy-peasy. In July I sold my gas Mule side-by-side and replaced it with a Deere diesel side-by-side. (I'm still running on the tank of diesel I bought it with!)

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews
Sounds like the gas tank size is an issue. Is it enough of an issue to want to spend money on the more expensive diesel Fuel? And if you do, would you burn off-road vs. regular #1/#2?

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #27  
I've owned the same Deere commercial 757 Ztrak with a 60" 7-iron (7 gauge) deck since 2007. I have driven several others in that time from Exmark, Scag, Bad Boy, and even Ego. I have not driven a Kubota.

Of those I've used or tested, Exmark and Deere are the only two I would really consider buying, as someone with several acres wanting a commercial-grade mower for personal use. If I had tested Kubota, based on what others have said here, I guess I might include them in the list too.

Comparing Deere and Exmark, there are some generalities across their product range, the most dramatic to me being ride quality. The Deere's are well-known for being super-stiff chassis, almost uncomfortably so. I spoke with pro landscapers who have had both in their fleets, and repeatedly heard that they like the way the Exmarks ride better, but they like the way the Deere's cut better, and also commented on parts support being best with Deere.

Things may vary locally, but at least around here, 90% of landscaper trailers are carrying Deere or Exmark. That translates to a network of always-available parts, as it's not too often you can go more than a few days without a mower in spring, having parts in-stock at the dealer is always key. As with CUT's, I'd guess Kubota is probably on-par with these two there, as well.

I was not impressed by Scag, Bad Boy or Ego. All fine mowers, but not better than Deere or Exmark, and lacking the same level of parts availability and support. I didn't really give any of them serious consideration, preferring to just stick with my now-older Deere.

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #28  
Welp, I have a Deere Z930M that I have owned for the better part of 8 years. The Kawasaki 25HP motor? Bullet proof. Plenty of power to get thru even the densest grasses. The 7 iron deck and quills? Perfect. Zero problems. Hydrostatic pumps and drive motors? Bullet Proof. Ride comfort? I got the adjustable suspension seat, so semi-comfortable. Between myself and my son-in-law, we mow 7 acres of grass a week between our properties with the Z930M. Really, the only complaint has been that they should have used Ny-loc nuts on through-bolt fasteners on the frame. Over the years, when a fastener has loosened up, we replaced it with Grade 8 bolts and Ny-loc nuts. Haven't had any issues since then. The 7 Iron decks are high air flow. They are deep. The blades are high vacuum. They suck the grass straight up, slice it right off and spit it directly out the side exit. It doesn't "Mulch" the grass. It spits it directly out in a 20' stream of air and grass clippings. Bungee cord the windrow chute up out of the way and you will see. It works great on leaves in the fall, too. I believe the blade tip speed is somewhere around 18,000 FPM. Big air mover.

Are the Z930M mowers expensive? Sure. You also get what you pay for when you buy a commercial mower vs consumer grade. The crap you see down at the big box store with John Deere branding on them were not designed or built by John Deere. Who ever built them bought the licensing rights to use green and yellow paint and some John Deere Stickers slapped on them. Good luck getting that crap serviced at your local JD Stealership. If you want it to last longer than 3 mowing seasons, just get a commercial mower, like the Z930M series. You will be glad you did.

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews
I've owned the same Deere commercial 757 Ztrak with a 60" 7-iron (7 gauge) deck since 2007. I have driven several others in that time from Exmark, Scag, Bad Boy, and even Ego. I have not driven a Kubota.

Of those I've used or tested, Exmark and Deere are the only two I would really consider buying, as someone with several acres wanting a commercial-grade mower for personal use. If I had tested Kubota, based on what others have said here, I guess I might include them in the list too.

Comparing Deere and Exmark, there are some generalities across their product range, the most dramatic to me being ride quality. The Deere's are well-known for being super-stiff chassis, almost uncomfortably so. I spoke with pro landscapers who have had both in their fleets, and repeatedly heard that they like the way the Exmarks ride better, but they like the way the Deere's cut better, and also commented on parts support being best with Deere.

Things may vary locally, but at least around here, 90% of landscaper trailers are carrying Deere or Exmark. That translates to a network of always-available parts, as it's not too often you can go more than a few days without a mower in spring, having parts in-stock at the dealer is always key. As with CUT's, I'd guess Kubota is probably on-par with these two there, as well.

I was not impressed by Scag, Bad Boy or Ego. All fine mowers, but not better than Deere or Exmark, and lacking the same level of parts availability and support. I didn't really give any of them serious consideration, preferring to just stick with my now-older Deere.
You make an important point that I think others have glossed over. Availability of parts and repairs. When I bought my 4600 in 2000, my B in 2013, and my garden tractor in 2010, i paid attention to that. I also bought commercial. I have not had issues with the more recent units and the B had a clutch issue that the dealer addressed by rebuilding a few parts for me.

I’ve heard good things about Kubota - but they have always revolved around price differences. That has not been my concern as long as the quality, parts, and repairs are all there for more locally.

/ JD Zero Turn Reviews #30  
You make an important point that I think others have glossed over. Availability of parts and repairs.
Having owned five Deere's of ages varying up to 35 years, I've had to do my share of sourcing old parts, and I'm always amazed how they still have parts available for these machines 30+ years after they were made. It's really not something you see in most other products you might buy today.

Deere starts raising the prices on parts after a machine goes out of production, to the point where making a repair on a 30 year old machine can start to get awful expensive thru their parts counter. But when push comes to shove, the parts are always available. Furthermore, due to sheer volume and product line commonality, there are almost always second-hand or aftermarket options available, to offset the high dealer cost of rare old parts.

... and before those who bleed orange claim I'm claiming something unique to Deere, I'm not. I have never owned a Kubota. But I have several other brands who have failed to maintain continuous availability of parts like Deere, which can make repairs prohibitively expensive, sometimes to the point of just scrapping the machine due to the time and cost constraints of fabbing parts of unobtainium.