JD445 - snowblower

/ JD445 - snowblower #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'm looking at the JD445 for mainly mowing (about 5 acres) and snow removal (300'
dirt/gravel driveway).

The 445 would suit my needs for the mowing part.

For snow removal, has anyone had experience with the front mounted snowblower?

Is the 445 equipped with chains sufficient to do the job?

I live in Central New York, so we tend to get alot of snow; both light lake effect and
heavy wet snow. I'm concerned that the 445 may not be strong/heavy enough.

I also looked at the 4100, but that's a little overkill for what I need to do (in that I
would never need the extra capability for all of the attachments, etc.)

Wondering if anyone out there has any opinions/experience on the snowremoval issue.

Thanks.

/ JD445 - snowblower #2  
You may want to still look at the 4100. The loader maybe an option you want in the future. In my experiance snow blowers have always had a tuff time with wet snow. I have never had a 425 but I do have a 4300 and I thought I didn't need the power till I started using it. If you do still think you want to stay that small I would go for the 455 with the diesel. It should work better on the heavy snow. Hopefully someone who has one can give you a better answer.

/ JD445 - snowblower #3  
I have a Craftsman 12hp with a 48" blower on the front. It generally works well for our subdivision lot but to do it over again I'd make sure I got a two stage model. Mine is single stage and it get's bogged down in the deeper and/or heavier stuff. Also, for those lake effect drifts, get the drift knives. I use chains, wheel weights and a 5 gal. bucket of concrete on the back. It's still marginal on traction. I agree with the other post about the 4100 and FEL. Definitely, the most versatile implement. I got my 790 with the mid-PTO in hopes of a future snowblower purchase for it.

Rob

/ JD445 - snowblower
I had a jd 420, very similar in size to the 445 you are considering. I had a single stage blower, almost useless if you are in a wet snow region or have to really move the snow up and away. I had weights and chains and still found traction on asphault a problem. I upgraded to a jd 755 4wd, 1 year old but in excellent condition. The mower size is the same but the two stage blower I got with it is super in all snow. The mowing speed is about the same. I purchased the tractor with a loader, blower, mid mount mower, backhoe and snowplow for almost what you will pay for a new 445 with a mower, 2 stage blower, wheel weights and tire chains. I never had a problem with the traction of the 755 without any weights or chains. The implements are readily available used. I found this an advantage because used is usually 1/2 the price new. Since my purchase I bought a tiller, brush hog, grader box, splitter and chipper for it. I don't think you'll ever find a 445 this versitile. I figured it a one time investment. I was only concerned, Do I need 4wd? Looking back, no regrets best move I ever made. Hope this helps

/ JD445 - snowblower #5  
I have a Kubota G1800 with a 46" 2 stage. I can clear a 600' paved driveway and the turn around in about 40 minutes of 6-10" of snow. The 16hp diesel is more than enough power and the traction with weights and chains is good enough to do the job up the 10 percent grade on a portion of it. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get the BX Kubota with a 48" 2 stage. The nice thing about the G1800 is its small size and it fits nicely in the garage, I have a 14' door so it waits next to the car and is ready when I open the door.

/ JD445 - snowblower
Thanks for all the replies.

I am debating the JD4100 vs JD445; I know the 4100 would do everything I need and more, it's
just that the price differential between the two may be more than I can justify to myself.

/ JD445 - snowblower #7  
I used to own a 445 with 2 stage front blower, if you take it fairly slow it will move 18" - 24" of moderate snow, i wouldn't recommend tring anything over 12" of wet snow, but mine worked great, i traded for a Kubota 38 horse when we bought new property

/ JD445 - snowblower #8  
I also considered the JD400 series and the JD4100. I ended up getting a JD4100 Hydro for two reasons - four-wheel drive, and better hydraulics. Both machines had a diff lock, but 4-wheel drive is far superior. The 4100 had better hydraulics, more implements available for it, and I'm amazed now that I have it all the things I can do with it. One thing I did do - I got the quick-tatch hitch for the 4100, so I could get the snowblower, rotary broom, and blade from the 400 series. Works exceptionally well...

/ JD445 - snowblower #9  
Caretaker, I have question about your setup. I'd like to know if can you still use your loader with that quick-tatch system mounted on your tractor?

/ JD445 - snowblower #10  
DFB, the quick-tatch hitch uses the same SCV/hydraulics as the 410 FEL - that is, the joystick controls lift up/down and angle left/right when the quick-tach hitch is installed. To install, first I remove the 410FEL, then I install the quick-tach mounting bracket, which has a driveshaft that brings the mid-PTO up to the front. Then the quick-tach hitch hangs on the bracket, with hyd. lines connected to the SCV ports. The quick-tach hitch itself provides the lifting/lowering and angle left/right for whatever is attached to it. I have a small blade, a 51" rotary broom, and a 47" snowblower that can be hung on the quick-tach hitch. The broom and snowblower have a short driveshaft that hooks to the PTO. Also, the snowblower has hyd. chute control, so I disconnect the angle left/right hyd. cylinder of the quick-tach, and hook up the snowblower chute lines in it's place. That lets me rotate the snowblower chute left or right following the joystick movement. The Blade, broom, and snowblower were originally for the 400 series garden tractors - the quick-tach hitch allows them to be used on the 4100.