Jinma 254 Transmission question

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question #21  
It's not in creeper mode. I don't think it is clutch related, as it goes into gears forward and reverse no problems. I would describe it like it slips. It may lurch foward a couple of feet, and then stop. It has a difficult time moving on an incline. This started about two weeks ago, so I looked at the fluid an it appeared dirty, so I changed it. I drained off only about 1 gallon of trans oil through the bottom plug. Is there a hidden screen or filter that I am missing?. The clutch depresses fine, and returns all the way back to the normal position. The PTO works fine, so I would assume that the issue is not with the return on the clutch, but maybe I am missing on this one?

Sounds like the linkage is fine from what you say.
Oh, there is no trans oil filter or screen to speak of on your tractor.
Now it really sounds like a clutch related problem to me is it sorta slips like you describe. When you say the PTO works fine is that because it spins when you engage it? Have you actually put a PTO implement on it to see if it runs under pressure? Like biggerten said, it's a 2 stage clutch so a) that clutch could be OK or b) it's slipping too when under load if you haven't tested it since the slipping occurred. Or, maybe you got some oil or grease onto the clutch pack somehow? Perhaps when you were changing oil or greasing the throw out bearing?
Ron at Ranchhand Supply and Tommy at Affordable and Chip at Artrac were all very helpful when I changed out my frozen throw out bearing and put in a new main clutch disc.
Is it possible to have sheared splines or the main drive shaft itself? Would the PTO still work? I don't have the assembly drawings in front of me...
Rob-

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question
Rear pto is working fine, as with the hydraulics. I have been using a 3pt. auger drill on it last few weeks with no issues.

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question #23  
Tommy,

Do you have notes on how to check and adjust the clutch linkage for the main? There appears to be no contamination, as I just replaced the trans oil, which was the Chinease foamy, oranges stuff.

Jim

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question #25  
I think they mean oil on the clutch it self. There are plates you can take off side of bell housing so's you can look in at clutch,if you got a loader think thats where part of loader attaches.your changing the oil or the old orange oil has nothing to do with this,don't think.

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question #27  
Sounds clutch related to me also. Have you checked your engine oil level? I know it sounds stupid but there were some owners reporting a bad seal on the back side of the engine allowing engine oil to get on the clutch. At any rate it will involve removing the clutch and inspect it and probably replacing it or at a minimum adjusting the clutch. Has it been adjusted or was it ever adjusted when new? Mine was right on when new but I hear 90% of them are out of spec and need adjusted when new.

Chris

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question #28  
How much free play is in the clutch pedal?
That is, when you push the pedal down and start to feel resistance? Free play in the pedal tells me the clutch pack is fully compressed before the clutch fingers push the clutch disc and pressure plate apart to let it slip. If there is at least some free play (or even a lot) then your main drive clutch might be worn out or slippery because of oil or grease or something.

If there is no free play in the clutch pedal, then the throwout bearing might already be touching the clutch fingers and partially separating the main drive clutch disc and pressure plate. That is the main drive clutch and not necessarily the PTO clutch. That might be why your PTO clutch is working. If that's the case, then you need to adjust your clutch pedal free play to about 1" and also check that the clutch fingers have the proper gap between the throwout bearing and the fingers. I would also check the throwout bearing to make sure it spins freely and also the clutch fingers to make sure they are not worn down.

So checking the free play of your clutch pedal is the first step.
Depending on the answer, if there is no free play, either a linkage adjustment there (easy to do) and finger adjustment (a little more involved if you have a loader) is the next step. Or if there is free play then a tractor split (quite a bit more involved) might be necessary to get to the clutch pack. You might want to check out this old thread that has lots of photos of the tractor split and clutch pack to get familiar with it.
Clutch Repair Kama 554
It's not a Jinma but close enough for you to get the general idea.
First tell us about the clutch pedal free play ...
Rob-

/ Jinma 254 Transmission question #29  
We'll never know.

Yes, It ends up being clutch related. It is at a mechanic now. It appears to be out of spec. Will let you know what the root cause was.
Thanks for all the help!!!