Chipper Jinma (Farm Pro) chipper mods

/ Jinma (Farm Pro) chipper mods
These photos show the bracket that I made to hold the roller bearings for the disengagement cluth. The bracket was not absolutely necessary but I wanted a positive stop (against the gear reduction unit) on the back and better clearance in the front (to clear the old cover). The nuts, bolts and spacers used with the roller bearings are stainless steel. I decided to replace the short bolts that secure the attachment plate with longer threaded rod to prevent little hands from reaching the v-belt and drive shaft. I may make an endpiece later (not likely) and longer bolts may come in handy. Some photos show the roller bearings in the clutch close up.

Attachments

• RollerBearings_1_8x6.jpg
    RollerBearings_1_8x6.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 447
  • RollerBearings_2_8x6.jpg
    RollerBearings_2_8x6.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 338
  • RollerBearings_3_8x6.jpg
    RollerBearings_3_8x6.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 323
  • RollerBearings_4_8x6.jpg
    RollerBearings_4_8x6.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 343
I hope the photos I've posted will be useful to someone. I also have a short video file of the driveshaft in action but I don't know how to make it available to you.

Terry

/ Jinma (Farm Pro) chipper mods #14  
Thanks for all the pictures. Still wrapping my head around your mods...

Did you do the upgrade to Hydraulic yet? If so you got any pictures?

No, I haven't done anything with the hydraulic mods yet. I probably won't for a few months. I've got too much work to do with it before I can stop again for more mods. It will probably be after the summer before I can get to the hydraulics.

Terry

/ Jinma (Farm Pro) chipper mods #16  
Your mods look great! I'm sure your's will last longer than mine now. I especially liked the FORD advertisement in the pictures.

I am still trying to figure out what you mean by hydraulic modifications.
Rick

Thanks for the kind comments Rick.

What I plan to do with the hydraulics is pretty simple. There are only two hydraulic mods. It will take a little time to put it together but I already have all of the components. It is mainly a matter of being able to put down the chipper for a while.

FEED ROLLER DIRECTION AND SPEED: I am going to replace the gear reduction unit and the drive feed disengagement clutch with an hydraulic motor. The hydraulic motor will be controlled by a motor control spool valve and a variable flow control valve. The motor spool will provide forward as well as reverse directional control of the feed roller. It will also allow the feed roller to float when in its neutral position. The variable flow control valve will allow infinite speed control of the feed roller in either forward or reverse directions. All of this will be independent of the PTO speed.

FEED ROLLER LIFT: Some people have welded a bar onto their feed roller lift arms to raise the feed roller for the intake of larger trees. I plan to do this hydraulically. In my case, a hand/foot lever will actuate an auto cycle spool control valve that will provide measured (matched) hydraulic flow to an hydraulic cylinder. The flow will always be matched (via a priority flow divider) to the cylinder capacity regardless of how much flow is being used by the hydraulic motor to turn the feed roller. The cylinder capacity is matched to the hydraulic flow so that the drive feed roller will be lifted (via the cylinder's ram) from its bottom position to its maximum height (6") within one second each and every time the control valve is actuated. When the feed roller reaches its maximum height the auto cycle spool control valve will automatically fast-retract the cylinder's ram and allow the feed roller to drop onto the work and allow it to float under tension from its springs. If there is no work under the feed roller when it is dropped then it will simply follow the fast-retracting ram back to its bottom position as the ram retracts within the cylinder.

These mods are nothing exotic or even slightly complicated but I feel that they will add enough usefulness to the chipper to be worth the effort. Besides, I just like doing these kinds of things. Our shop is full of tools and my daughter and I look for any excuse we can to use them.

Terry

It wasn't much of a problem carrying around 4x4's and 2x4's to level my pto shaft whenever I set the chipper down to chip. However, I figured there must be an easier and faster way to do this. Since I had a couple of trailer swivel jacks not being used, I decided to see if they could speed the process by mounting them on the chipper. I did some measuring and then drilled holes on each side of the chipper at what I determined to be the best balance point. It took about 15 minutes to drill 4 holes on each side. It took another couple of minutes to adjust the jacks so that when the chipper is lowered the jacks would keep the pto shaft level. Now, whenever I want to run the chipper, I just pull the swivel pin and snap the jacks vertically and then set it down. Very seldom do I ever have to re-adjust the jacks for level. I replace the wheels with a set of pads if the ground is too soft. I like using the wheels because when the ground is hard I can drive short distances from one pile of trees to the next without lifting the chipper. I may swap out the current wheels for ones with bearings so I can pull it longer distances without being concerned about the wear (the current wheels are well greased but consist only of a shaft and steel bushing). The jacks are rated 1,500 lbs each (according to the side plate) so they should be able to handle it (notwithstanding a hidden stump or large rock, etc.). :) To store the chipper I simply rotate the jacks to their horizontal position and lock them. They are then out of the way. This 20 minute modification was well worth the trouble. As best I can remember the jacks cost about $10 each from surplus. I have attached 3 photos taken right after installation. They show how the jacks were mounted to the right and left sides, how they look set vertically and how they look set horizontally for storage.

Attachments

• LevelingJack_1_8x6.jpg
    LevelingJack_1_8x6.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 348
  • LevelingJack_2_8x6.jpg
    LevelingJack_2_8x6.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 239
  • LevelingJack_3_8x6.jpg
    LevelingJack_3_8x6.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 249
   / Jinma (Farm Pro) chipper mods #19  
Had you mounted them further back, and added one to the front, you could have rolled it around your garage to store it when not in use.

I have been trying to keep up with peoples mods to the Jinma chippers, and have yet to see anyone modify the chute to rotate. Seems to me it would be a good mod, so one wouldn't have to move the whole tractor as the pile of chips grows. Anyone done it??

/ Jinma (Farm Pro) chipper mods #20  
Terryo, good idea! Thanks for sharing.