Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town?

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #21  
Boy, this subject hits home for a lot of people. It has been going on for years. You guys may know that I'm a tool maker and I've been hit with stuff going overseas or to Mexico since the early 80's.

I really like what RobertN said </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Some people think of strength as military(the US is the strongest out there). But, the biggest strength is in making stuff. That is where we are weakening. We don't make as much stuff any more. If the du-du hit the fan, where would the US be? We do'nt make stuff like we used to)</font> among the other things, but this really made me want to respond.

When our mold making business was booming in the 70's and early 80's, some customers started sending work overseas to take advantage of the cheap labor rates. We found that not only their labor rate was cheap, but so were their material supplies. How could they buy steel for example, at ¼ of our cost? As it turned out, most of the plastic injection molds the companies got did not work very well. Craftsmanship was sh*%#. and the companies turned back to the US toolmakers.

The problem we saw was everytime the swing came back to the US, the customer company would make an upper management change. The first thing the new VP would do is cut costs and his idea was to go overseas to have molds built!....Duh...this happened in cycles until it finally forced me to retire and sell my business. I was fortunate to sell it to a large medical company who wanted to make their own plastic injection molds or otherwise there was no "market" for my type of business.

Now, instead of going to Hong Kong, they go to Mexico. Now to China, Malaysia, Indonesia and India. We have shared our technology and now they don't need us. Some of their products are better than ours...cheaper for sure in our throw-away society quality doesn't matter too much. Look at great tractors and cars made with Japanese names. This is also true in the machinery business. Many of the best made CNC mills, lathes, grinders, edm's etc are not made in the US anymore. Or the ones that are are twice as expensive. This is where it will hurt us as a nation, farming our backbone of America crafts and trades for other countries to do.

Now I still do some moldmaking in my garage shop. I only get the super hard, difficult stuff that they can't do yet. It won't be long before they won't need me for that either.

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( The medical care has gone through the roof because of the malpractice suits and the cost of malpractice insurance. )</font>

That's only part of the healthcare problem. The largest problem is that our healthcare system isn't consumer based (the reason G. Bush has pushed for "Health Savings Accounts").
)</font>
<font color="black"> Gee, I was wondering who's fault it was, I didnt realize it only started becoming a problem in the past 6yrs... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Really, I think most of our issues on the matter began in the 70"s.. </font>

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( The medical care has gone through the roof because of the malpractice suits and the cost of malpractice insurance. )

That's only part of the healthcare problem. The largest problem is that our healthcare system isn't consumer based (the reason G. Bush has pushed for "Health Savings Accounts").
)</font>
<font color="red"> Gee, I was wondering who's fault it was, I didnt realize it only started becoming a problem in the past 6yrs... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Really, I think most of our issues on the matter began in the 70"s.. </font> )</font>

<font color="black">
The problem did begin in the 70's. In fact it began even before that. The same thing with the problems with social security and the tax system. The problem is that it's a political death sentence to any politician to make changes to these systems if you want to get re-elected. At some point someone, either Republican or Democrat, is going to have to address these issues and put a policy forth that will fix them.

I'm purposely trying to avoid making this political and raising the eyebrow of the moderators. </font>

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( The medical care has gone through the roof because of the malpractice suits and the cost of malpractice insurance. )

)</font>
<font color="red"> Gee, I was wondering who's fault it was, I didnt realize it only started becoming a problem in the past 6yrs... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Really, I think most of our issues on the matter began in the 70"s.. </font> )</font>

<font color="black">
The problem did begin in the 70's. In fact it began even before that. The same thing with the problems with social security and the tax system. The problem is that it's a political death sentence to any politician to make changes to these systems if you want to get re-elected. At some point someone, either Republican or Democrat, is going to have to address these issues and put a policy forth that will fix them.

I'm purposely trying to avoid making this political and raising the eyebrow of the moderators. </font> )</font>

Your last post settles much better with me(for what its worth).. The only reason I replied about the previous one is that there is such a knee jerk reaction to blame the guy currently in charge for history.. I really couldnt care less what political affiliation he has, or who he is for that matter, this current situation is much more ingrained in the USA's culture to point fingers.. I totally agree that someone needs to do something, but I also believe that drastic changes that look good at the moment may cause worse troubles in the long run, so I hope for well though out ideas in the future.. It really doesnt look good now.. This chapter was written many years ago..

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #25  
Boy, that story hit a nerve with me. I was working as a temp auditor for Generous Motors in a sub assembly plant. As I was walking towards my station, I bent down and picked up a large peice of cardboard that was laying in the walkway and tossed it itno the trash bin as I walked past. That evening at lunch, several rather large union employees took me out back and "explained" to me that they had a man who's job it was to pick up the trash, and did I want management to think they didn't need him anymore or that he wasn't doing his job?
I learn quickly, so I never again picked up trash or anything else that wasn't directly part of my job. I also decided I would never work as a union employee or in a union shop ever again.......

I could write a huge book on the abuses I saw just in that little sub assembly plant.........

One of the employees was in the habit of coming to work drunk, and at lunch time he would climb into an empty carboard box, close the lid and sleep. When one of the supervisors was looking for him a couple of hours or so after the lunch period ended, I surreptishiuosly pointed to the box, where they found him sleeping. Nothing happened to him, they just made him go back to work............

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #26  
Oh Boy. Healthcare. Now you got me going. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

My daughter had a procedure done at the hospital and I just got the bill. It was just shy of $8,000. The insurance paid roughly $4,000 and we paid about $200. So what happened to the other $4,000? The hospital wrote it off because that is the aggreement they had with the insurance company.

Now, if I walked in with no insurance for the same procedure they would bill me the $8,000. So I squawk about the price and they might knock of 25% which would be $2,000. I WOULD still pay $6,000 while the insurance would pay only $4,000. That is not right.

My wife sometimes needs a med. The pharmisist says its the most expensive pill they stock. Its around $40 per pill. My wife has to gobble 4-5 of these pills, roughly $200, when she needs the meds. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

We have used quite a few this year and tried to get more. Insurance said no. They will only pay for so many pills in a given period of time. OR we have to order the meds regularly through mail order. BUT we only need them every once in awhile. SOOOO, its in our best interests to have the meds sent every month or so whether we need them or not so that we have them on hand.

Because if she does no have the meds she will end up at the ER. How much does it cost to go to the ER?

Well, this is all danged wasteful and stupid. But that is the system. And we all pay for the stupidity. My mom has had to do the same thing for her meds......

I'm not sure of the solution but I know what we have does not work and most of the proposals I have seen would be a disaster....

Later,
Dan

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well, this is all danged wasteful and stupid. But that is the system. And we all pay for the stupidity. My mom has had to do the same thing for her meds...... )</font>

My mom is diabetic and has Medicare. Medicare will pay for the blood sugar test device and strips. It won't pay for the syringes and insulin. Go figure?! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #28  
billbill1 you wrote:
The medical care has gone through the roof because of the malpractice suits and the cost of malpractice insurance. Medical care is going overseas and so are the doctors, they can function much cheaper without malpractice issues that they have in the USA.

My reply: you got that right! Now your cat scan or x-ray may be read by a physician in India. Radiology is the real frontier of off shore medecin. Radiology is moving to digital and the digital images can be sent all over the world. Mark my words (as my mother is fond of saying) it won't be long until the insurance compainies figure out it is cheaper to buy you a round trip airline ticket to India for your xxx (fill in the blank) operation than it is for you to be treated in the USA. It's coming, it really is coming.

Healthcare will bring the United States to her knees in the next 20 years.

It used to be that I would bring gifts for my in-laws in France from the USA. But honetsly it is now a global market and since nothing consumer grade is made int eh US any more, it is all made in China, they can buy everything over here in France just as in-expensive as I can buy it in the USA, except for the taxes that is. Remember when we used to make televisions, stereos, vaccuum cleaners and toasters?

You can knock down the unions in this thread but what about the revolting slaries and bonuses of CEO's and Board members of publicly owned companies? Airline companies who go bankrupt but still pay the CEO who lead them into bankruptcy Millions and Millions of Dollars in bonuses. When union members see the unfathonable salareis that top management and the LAWYERS earn it is no wonder they don't feel guilty for wanting their own pickets lined.

I know I'll probably get this post deleted by the moderators, however my comments are in line with the topic. As long as they don't kick me off TBN forever I can live with the judgments of the mods.

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #29  
Another major problem is that the healthcare industry has taken over Washington. Look how many doctors are now politicians! Better yet, did you know that there are almost 2 pharmaceutical lobbyists for EVERY Elected Official! The pharm's hire ex-politicians to lobby their old buddies! What amazes me, is that Congress passes laws to stop the NRA from running adds against politicians around election time, but we let Corporate American run wild. The NRA, NOW, AARP, and a few other lobbying organizations actually represent people, not corporate interests. Yet, these groups will be silenced while the corporations can keep lobbying!

I guess our elected officials don't want to hear from us! When was the last time they voted in favor of the majority? It's all special interest, or voting to quiet the squeeky wheel.

Overall, we as Americans spend too much time worrying about who gets elected President, when we should really concern ourselves with the people who pass and create laws in the House and Senate. Not to mention local governments too.

The best Federal Government to have, is one that has one party as President, and another running the House and Senate. This way, no laws get passed, and we are all safe! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #30  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( threatened about working too hard )</font>

Eddie, when I was 17 years old, the postmaster got special permission to hire me on a temporary part time basis as a mail carrier when someone took off sick at the same time someone else was on vacation (small town). The first time I worked was just to deliver the town's parcel post. I looked it over, put it in the little van in the order I'd deliver it; i.e., just mentally laid out a route, went and delivered all of it and was back at the post office dock in less than 45 minutes. One of the regular mail carriers was coming out the back door and asked what I was doing there. I told him I was through with the parcel post, went inside, and punched out on the time clock. The assistant postmaster followed me outside and quietly told me, "Bird, delivering the parcel post is a 2 hour job." So the first time I walked a regular route, they told me in advance that it was an 8 hour route. It took me almost 6 hours, then I sat in the shade behind a snowcone stand and visited with the girl running it until time to go back to the post office.

Unbelieveable for a kid whose father expected him to work hard and fast all day.