John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #111  
I own a 2005 JD 2305, 580 hrs. Today for the first time having issues with NO PTO engagement. This occurred immediately after changing transmission oil and filters. I have checked PTO rear to front lever, main switch, 12.6 volt at coil, with 9 OHMs on coil to solenoid. I cannot hear solenoid engaging. Question can this solenoid possibly be freed by tapping with hammer, heat, or applying a stronger magnetized signal to solenoid? If pulling the solenoid is the only option, how much has to be disassembled?

Any advice?

Thank you!

Ray
Did you ensure the oil level is spot on?

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #112  
Yes...half way on glass viewer.

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #113  
Happened to me this summer as well -- rear PTO failed when brush mower hit a rock. Took to dealer and they estimated $8K repair = the value of the tractor. Dealer charged $500 for the diagnostic, pulled the chewed up gear and reassembled unit. So now I can't mow, but can still use the front end loader and I can still tow. Some folks suggested an insurance claim (homeowners) so I tried -- State Farm said they will not cover and know of no instance of covering. If others have had a difference experience, please let me know.

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #114  
Same story on my 2210. The dealer offered to write up something for the homeowners insurance company but I was not comfortable with the approach he intended to take. The reality was that I had hit a stump with the mower and insurance does not cover that. Belly mower still works fine as the mid PTO is upstream from the rear PTO.

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #115  
Same story on my 2210. The dealer offered to write up something for the homeowners insurance company but I was not comfortable with the approach he intended to take. The reality was that I had hit a stump with the mower and insurance does not cover that. Belly mower still works fine as the mid PTO is upstream from the rear PTO.

If I accidentally hit a telephone pole with my car, it would be an insurable peril. I'm sure you did not have the intention to hit the stump and damage your tractor. I don't understand your reluctance to file a claim, unless there is more to the story.

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #116  
If I accidentally hit a telephone pole with my car, it would be an insurable peril. I'm sure you did not have the intention to hit the stump and damage your tractor. I don't understand your reluctance to file a claim, unless there is more to the story.

Hitting a stump with a rough mower on a farm is not a reimbursable event. The dealer knew that which was why he offered to tell the insurance company a different story.

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #117  
New member here...I have a 2010 2305 and a frontier 2048. I have used it a lot to clear my property. I have a slip clutch but have even stalled the tractor running over a stump or something that I didn't realize was there. Almost to the point where I have quit worrying about the PTO. Anyone who's had one apart think that this is caused by cumulative wear of the gears and I should be concerned? With the PTO selected and tractor off there is very little backlash in mine so I hope it is still healthy and I got lucky with the metalurgy the day they made mine :)

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #118  
New member here...I have a 2010 2305 and a frontier 2048. I have used it a lot to clear my property. I have a slip clutch but have even stalled the tractor running over a stump or something that I didn't realize was there. Almost to the point where I have quit worrying about the PTO. Anyone who's had one apart think that this is caused by cumulative wear of the gears and I should be concerned? With the PTO selected and tractor off there is very little backlash in mine so I hope it is still healthy and I got lucky with the metalurgy the day they made mine :)

Just make sure you loosen the clutch once or twice a year and allow the plates to slip. If not checked there is a chance the plates will stick together and not provide the clutch action you need. When tightening the clutch plates you should allow them to slip before the engine stalls. Your manual should provide torq specs for these bolts too.

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #119  
Yes I do slip it once a year...loosen the bolts and reset. It calls for a 4mm gap to be set but I'm at more like 5. I kept loosening and running it with witness marks on the clutch parts to find the max that it will hold in high grass. I have still managed to stall it on occasion. then again I've done that with the mmm when I ran over my sweatshirt I thought was tied to the roll bar lol.

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #120  

The problem has really nothing to do with parts wearing. The issue is the housing casting which holds the outer bearing race on the inner end of the stub pto shaft can NOT withstand any force applied front to back or major side loading. Make sense? Probably not.

Basically if you put too much force pushing the pto stub. shaft into the tractor, it will break. Also a major torque or side load the same inner casting will break. I did it on a late model.

My root cause was a pto shaft that was too long. My expensive mistake. But anything that pushes the shaft inwards will do it. For example going thru a ditch with an attached implement wear the pto shaft compress entirely.

Some have done it with the mmm jamming a brick in between the deck and the blade.

The problem isn't with metallurgy but rather with thickness of the inner casting. That's what changed between the early version and the new version.