John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #121  
Makes perfect sense...my 2048 wouldn't bottom with the hitch all the way up but I'm sure backing the tailwheel into a bank or up over something would have. I shortened both halves about 2".

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #122  
Keith,

Welcome to the forum. As noted above, the problem is that the metal surrounding the inner bearing is too thin. It is shock loads that cause the problem. My 2210 broke when I hit a stump with a rough mower. Prior to that I had stalled it several times when using the tiller. Once was when I hit a tire that was buried in the field. I think the others were tree roots. I have also stalled my 2305 in similar ways, but not with as intense a shock load as hitting a stump. You are wise to be sure your equipment has a clutch and that you exercise it as described above. Also as noted in previous messages, you can damage the rear housing by using a PTO shaft that is too long. This is a different problem, but just as destructive / expensive. When I broke the 2210 the dealer offered to fix it for $9000. Instead I took it home, cleaned it out, and reassembled it without the rear PTO gears. The mid PTO still works great. We liked the size and functionality of the 2210 so much that we decided to buy a 2305 so as to have a machine with rear PTO for tasks formerly done with the 2210. We also had to have something that would run the rear attachments we had for the 2210. Now we have one for tilling / loader work and one for mowing / towing / loader work. You can never have too many tractors.

Enjoy your 2305. They are great machines. Like most things in life, they also have their vulnerabilities.

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #123  
When our company 2305 crapped out the rear end, it had NEVER had a 3 point attachment on the rear, just the belly mower which uses the front facing PTO. I was not on it when it took a crap, so I don't know what happened. It totally destroyed the rear end. I know Deere bought these units from where ever, and they should back them up, but they don't.

I don't know why they can't build a super tough, durable rear differential at a price point. I was mad about it and it wasn't even my $$$.

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #125  
John Deere may not have made the transaxle. But as stated before, they sold them and should stand behind them.

Wait, it's probably not safe to stand behind these units! ;-)

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #126  
They likely could make them "indestructable" for the non-average tractor jockey that can break an anvil, but the cost would be outrageous for the rest of us that can take care of our equipment. And sounds like this particular unit was used in a commercial fleet.. but don't know that for certain. The 2305 is not a tank, by any stretch. And for sure not a "super tough, durable rear differential"
IMO.

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #127  
They likely could make them "indestructable" for the non-average tractor jockey that can break an anvil, but the cost would be outrageous for the rest of us that can take care of our equipment. And sounds like this particular unit was used in a commercial fleet.. but don't know that for certain. The 2305 is not a tank, by any stretch. And for sure not a "super tough, durable rear differential"
IMO.

There are some youtube videos of Bubbas yanking out trees with a CUT that will make a person cringe. They have 15ft of slack in the chain and get a running start then snap the chain tight at about 10mph ..................

/ John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #128  
New member here...I have a 2010 2305 and a frontier 2048. I have used it a lot to clear my property. I have a slip clutch but have even stalled the tractor running over a stump or something that I didn't realize was there. Almost to the point where I have quit worrying about the PTO. Anyone who's had one apart think that this is caused by cumulative wear of the gears and I should be concerned? With the PTO selected and tractor off there is very little backlash in mine so I hope it is still healthy and I got lucky with the metalurgy the day they made mine :)

As Previously stated the late 2305 had a much beefier Pto drive than the early 2305. Your tractor is the late updated 2305 serial number 227697 or higher

Last edited:
   / John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #129  
So did the Class Action ever get off the ground?

Reading this I feel lucky but also afraid to use my rear PTO anymore. My 2305 is a 2006 and I've had it since March of that year. I take very good care with all maintenance and cleaning. But I use it hard too, I have a big ole PHD that I've dug hundreds of holes with, roto till rocky ground all the time several times per year. I do have a clutch on everything also which may help! I also cut three acres with rear discharge mower.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure #130  
So did the Class Action ever get off the ground?

Reading this I feel lucky but also afraid to use my rear PTO anymore. My 2305 is a 2006 and I've had it since March of that year. I take very good care with all maintenance and cleaning. But I use it hard too, I have a big ole PHD that I've dug hundreds of holes with, roto till rocky ground all the time several times per year. I do have a clutch on everything also which may help! I also cut three acres with rear discharge mower.

Instead of guessing read the serial number , there is a difference early in the 2006 model year at 227697.

2305 compact utility tractor

2005 model (serial no. Lv2305h100001-200000)
2006 model (serial no. Lv2305h200001-320000)
2007 model (serial no. Lv2305h320001-420000)
2008 model (serial no. Lv2305h420001-520000)
2009 model (serial no. Lv2305h520001-620000)
2010 model (serial no. Lv2305h620001- )