John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement?

/ John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement? #1  

johnwilldo

Bronze Member
North Eastern Pennsylvania, Lehigh Valley
Tractor
John Deere 2305
My 2010 John Deere 2305 engine with 960 hours on it blew while field mowing last week. I heard a rattle and stopped the tractor, but let the engine run at low idle. I dismounted the tractor and lifted the hood to see what was making the noise and that is when is came to a VERY noisy and metalic sounding stop! Sounded like it threw a rod, but I have not had the time to pull the engine or drop the oil pan.

My question would be about replacement Yanmar engines, salvage? Rebuilt? Anyone parting out a 2305 and have an engine? Is there an aftermarket availabillity other than John Deere?

/ John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement? #2  
   / John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement? #3  
Come to think of it, I don't think I've heard of a yanmar diesel ever failing. Sorry for your loss. Hopefully you can get something going for a reasonable price. Also, check with your dealer on warranty. I was told when my rear engine seal went out on my 2520 earlier in the year, that the engine components were warrantied longer than the basic tractor warranty. It is a 2012 model. One of the mechanics said "really?" Service manager said anything diesel deere sells from the smallest to the biggest has the same warranty. Has something to do with the tier of engine that it would be. Might be worth checking out. They replaced my seal free of charge.

/ John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement?
I will have to check into that. For some reason, I thought the warranty was 2 years or a certain number of hours. I have located a Compact tractor salvage yard, but their phone is always busy. When I drop the oil pan, I am hoping that the crank is undamaged. It sounds like a broken rod. We will know in a few days. My wife had a comment similar to yours, "I thought we bought a John Deere with a Yanmar Engine because of their self proclaimed quality?"

/ John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement? #6  
Don't forget to also look for 2210 engines, there are a lot of 2210's that were parted out for broken tranny's but still have low hours on the motors. I think the main difference will be the exhaust and/or intake which you could easily swap.

/ John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement?
I did not know that other models had the same engine. That broadens the field a bit. There is a Compact tractor salvage yard in Shippensburg, PA which is about 117 miles west of my location, but I have not yet been able to contact them via phone....always busy.
Posting on this forum has always been productive for me an I have picked up so much good information. I found an older JD 4600 with lots of attachments at a good price so it the engine cost is too high, I may just shop for another used tractor and go up in size.

Thanks so much for your input......it was very useful.

/ John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement? #8  
I think the x700 series mowers use the same engine too.

A larger tractor might be a good idea.

/ John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement? #9  
Going to the free parts book on the JD web site . Will find what other models of equipment shared major components with the 2305.

/ John Deere 2305 Engine Replacement? #10  
The 2305 has a Yanmar 3TNV76. According to tractordata the 1026R has the same engine. 2210 also has the same as stated above.

Last edited: